Curse of the Arrow. ITCH IO gem

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

seekingvirtue

Curse of the Arrow. ITCH IO gem

Post by seekingvirtue » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 am

i found this little gem, was wondering if anybody else has tried it? Its pretty tough!

https://egordorichev.itch.io/curse-of-the-arrow

NickThorpe

Re: Curse of the Arrow. ITCH IO gem

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm

It's a game, please post about it in the gaming section of the forum. Cheers!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm
Or maybe... hey Mr 31 posts, you've posted in the wrong section so I'm moving it to All about Games. It's a great game BTW. insert Smiley.

:!: :shock:

seekingvirtue

Post by seekingvirtue » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm
NickThorpe wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm
Or maybe... hey Mr 31 posts, you've posted in the wrong section so I'm moving it to All about Games. It's a great game BTW. insert Smiley.

:!: :shock:
You lads are right, I'm a bit green when it comes to getting the topics right. Thanks for moving my stuff about and getting it organized properly.

For those of you who haven't looked at this game, here is a little bit I wrote about it. I would say, with a 20 level demo, it's worth trying for free at the very least...

The opening scene has depths that draw the user into a world of fantasy and wonder.

There is a classic settings option of difficulty: Easy, normal, hard, ultra hard! These can be activated by little buttons that our hero has to jump on. There are settings for controls, and settings for screen vibrations and controller vibration (if you happen to be playing with a controller that supports it). Audio settings for SFX and Music are also present. A nice homage to what we have come to expect from these retro style games.

In the settings screen, there is a little message bannering across the bottom "AWESOME GUYS WHO GAVE INSPIRATIONS" or something to that effect. It scrolls across and lists the names of, presumably, handles from users who inspired the developer.

In true platformer style, our hero traverses from screen to screen via PIPES! But not nasty dirty sewer pipes, but high tech transporters. A nod to our dear friends at Nintendo no doubt. Even a little Golden coin is ever present in each screen. So down into the PLAY pipe I went, when behold! A level selector is presented to me, a gold coin, some pipes and a red button button. I pressed the button of course.

After a mysterious little cut scene ensues of some unnamed fellow (there is a grave suggesting it was SAM SWIFT) being killed whilst trying to get an arrow, and I am left to find my way. And the way, seemingly, points to a bow. I get the bow and now I am present with the preamble of our story... CHAPTER 1, THE CURSE. After playing a bit, I am convinced the cursed artifact, is the hero's bow or arrow. Everything it touches turns red. Dally about to long, and the red give birth to some evil red slime.

Again, my friend the golden coin is there, waiting for me as is his companion, the travel pipe. In we go!

From what I can tell, the coin is only for added difficulty. I don't see a scoring system and generally speaking, it is not needed to escape the mazes. Curse of the Arrow is as much a puzzler as it is a platformer. Anyone who values a good challenge, while playing a fair game, should definitely take a look at this game.

Cheers Lads! :D