Controversial gaming opinions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mrmessy

Re: Controversial gaming opinions

Post by mrmessy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm

A friend of mine at the time showed me FFVII on his PlayStation, probably expecting me to be amazed.

After watching him play it for a while, I formed two opinions which I still hold today:

1. Turn based combat in an RPG, on video game system that is capable of real-time combat, is ridiculous and crap.
2. I really don't like that childish cutesy Anime style at all, and it's very presence in a game will probably put me off that game entirely. Pokemon games are the prime example of this.

There's (probably) two controversial opinions right there.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm
A friend of mine at the time showed me FFVII on his PlayStation, probably expecting me to be amazed.

After watching him play it for a while, I formed two opinions which I still hold today:

1. Turn based combat in an RPG, on video game system that is capable of real-time combat, is ridiculous and crap.
2. I really don't like that childish cutesy Anime style at all, and it's very presence in a game will probably put me off that game entirely. Pokemon games are the prime example of this.

As a fan of turn-based strategy games I'll emphatically disagree with that first point. Rather, it's just the case that the combat in Final Fantasy games, and a lot of other JRPGs, is crap. You could try something like X-Com or Fire Emblem to see it done a heck of a lot better.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 pm
mrmessy wrote:

As a fan of turn-based strategy games I'll emphatically disagree with that first point. Rather, it's just the case that the combat in Final Fantasy games, and a lot of other JRPGs, is crap. You could try something like X-Com or Fire Emblem to see it done a heck of a lot better.
I'll take your word for it on that one.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 pm
mrmessy wrote:

Or Sabre Team on the A1200 or Panzer General or Theatre/Conflict Europe or Rebelstar Raiders. LOTS and lots of great turn based games. But many ppl prefer real time and that's fine, or real time where you pause the game to issue commands which are also cool. The problem with FFVII games is that the sequences go on for ages , much with no interaction from the player. It's bearable for a while, but when one battle goes on ages (and you know there are many to come) then it's just too much.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 am

The likes of Sabre Team are a very different kettle of fish though, since they are turn based strategy games at their very core, not RPGs.

For strategy, I prefer turn based over RTS. For RPG, I prefer action RPGs over turn based battles.

There are good reasons for this. When I play strategy games, I want to contemplate how I'll orchestrate my attack and defences. RTS doesn't allow much thinking.

In RPGs, too often the 'strategy' element takes longer than the adventuring, especially in JRPGs. I want to enjoy the exploration and story in these games, the combat is very much a side element for me. The strategy elements aren't strong enough within a battle for me to enjoy it much.

They're very different things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:41 pm
My own controvesial opinion is that we're due another videogames crash - the only thing that's held it back from happening so far is that the online stores for the consoles now have support for "indie" game developers to get them coverage and market penetration. If it was up to the main publishers with yearly releases of essentially the same games with minor (if any) improvements, then it probably would have happened by now.
can't see it,. the kids 9that's anyone under about 25 to me) who's buys still drive the industry eat those up they've never know any different

older gamers may roll their eyes at yet another Fifa but my son never has any complaints
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 am

Treguard wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 am
Final Fantasy VII is a bunch of cut scenes in search of a game to go with it.
If you'd said Metal gear Solid I'd have agreed
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am

thebear wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 am

Then you'd be wrong as MGS is an excellent game.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am

stvd wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am
thebear wrote:

Then you'd be wrong as MGS is an excellent game.

yes to be fair I was meaning the series on a whole (more the recent games than the PS1 game)

demon

Post by demon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:04 am

Uhm... I think I might "win" (or "lose", depends how you see it) the thread by saying that, despite my obvious love for videogames, I think that together with television/movies they are one of the reasons for the surge of violent ideas and behaviour in the western world in the last couple of decades. And now I will hide somewhere to dodge the shitstorm... :lol:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 am

thebear wrote:
Treguard wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 am
Final Fantasy VII is a bunch of cut scenes in search of a game to go with it.
Both Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid are brilliant gaming experiences!