From The Forum issue 177 - 2018 retro wishes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Re: From The Forum issue 177 - 2018 retro wishes

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:07 am

A new retro inspired 2D Mario game. On the back of the success of Sonic Mania it’s be great to see Nintendo announce a Super Mario World inspired release. The gimmick would get lots of publicity I imagine and would surely do well from a sales point of view. C’mon Nintendo.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Bring Lemmings back.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:49 pm

I would like to see more retro compilations on modern platforms (and don't make they digital only)... there are a couple of new Mega Man collections on the horizon, but nothing else at the moment.

I'd like a N64 mini too, but I have my doubts they'll do it as N64 games look awful upscaled and the large controller wouldn't really fit in with the 'mini' theme. Also due to rights issues, I'd imagine games like Goldeneye would be missing!

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I'd love an N64 Mini. It'd have to have most of these games on though, which I know is unlikely for various reasons, but mostly licensing:

Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Excitebike 64
F Zero X (with level editor)
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Perfect Dark
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
Super Mario 64
Wetrix
WWF No Mercy

It'd be awesome if it was compatible with GameCube controllers, and had the option to add your own music to games (so I could add some of my favourite remixes and orchestral versions). Again, I know that's unlikely. :)

SD cards with retro games would be cool too, whether that's plugging into an existing console (such as a Mini Classic), or a PC.

And inspired by mentions of Mario and Sonic in this thread, how about a platform game you could play with either Sonic or Mario, with progress dependent on each character's unique skills? You could complete every level with either character, but progress through a level would be different, dependent on which character you used. Maybe there are rings/coins on loops only Sonic could reach, for example. It might be difficult to pull off, but awesome if they could!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm

For 2018 I hope the Spectrum Next is amazing and that there is a big opening of the vaults over at the Playstation Store!
Press Play On Tape

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:56 pm

I want an FPGA Arcade. I can even pay for it myself. Fingers crossed!

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 am

I would like to find out that modern consoles hadn't been invented and we were still all playing 8 bit computers.......

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm
I'd love an N64 Mini. It'd have to have most of these games on though, which I know is unlikely for various reasons, but mostly licensing:

Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Excitebike 64
F Zero X (with level editor)
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Perfect Dark
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
Super Mario 64
Wetrix
WWF No Mercy

It'd be awesome if it was compatible with GameCube controllers, and had the option to add your own music to games (so I could add some of my favourite remixes and orchestral versions). Again, I know that's unlikely. :)

SD cards with retro games would be cool too, whether that's plugging into an existing console (such as a Mini Classic), or a PC.

And inspired by mentions of Mario and Sonic in this thread, how about a platform game you could play with either Sonic or Mario, with progress dependent on each character's unique skills? You could complete every level with either character, but progress through a level would be different, dependent on which character you used. Maybe there are rings/coins on loops only Sonic could reach, for example. It might be difficult to pull off, but awesome if they could!
As im sure it's happened before why in god's arse can't Nintendo and Microsoft just come to a deal and MS make a % on every copy of goldeneye, Banjo, perfect dark etc sold off the virtual console/a future N64 mini. Nintendo would please lots of their fans and would still make a mint off it as all you ever hear is "I want Goldeneye"

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Neither probably owns a licence for the Goldeneye bit of that, they'd have to shell out for a new Bond licence. Less of an issue for the other games like Banjo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 am

More 8bit goodness in the mag and more original retro gamer bookazines rather than 2nd,3Rd or 4th editions. Also go back to good quality paper for the mag as the current stuff is censored.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm
As im sure it's happened before why in god's arse can't Nintendo and Microsoft just come to a deal and MS make a % on every copy of goldeneye, Banjo, perfect dark etc sold off the virtual console/a future N64 mini. Nintendo would please lots of their fans and would still make a mint off it as all you ever hear is "I want Goldeneye"
I'd prefer Perfect Dark - it's better than Goldeneye (already a great game) in pretty much every way. And as @Antiriad2097 says, there wouldn't be an issue with renewing the Bond licence then. So yep, I hope Microsoft and Nintendo can sort something out too. I notice they've complimented each other on Twitter recently e.g. Nintendo wishing the Xbox a happy birthday, and Microsoft complimenting Nintendo on something - possibly the SNES Mini, but I can't remember. If so, maybe a hint they can sort something out!

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Hard question, I just want to enjoy playing retro games again, had a few slow years, but feeling right back into it, hope that continues :D
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw