The Star Wars thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Big Shoes

Re: The Star Wars thread

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I saw it last week, I am a massive Star Wars fan, i didn't know what to make of it either!
Some bits were awesome and some were terrible.
The Force Awakens was a better film overall but Rogue One was much better than both of them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Just saw it in 4DX. Liked it, though not sure about a lot of what went on, needs a repeat viewing.

A lot complained The Force Awakens was too much like the previous movies. This one really isn't, it's about as far from what I expected as could be, doesn't compare to the others at all.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm

It was good......not mind blowingly amazing or downright terrible, just good. It has flaws, it has some nice touching moments, so really a minded bag for me.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 pm

I was supposed to be seeing it last night, even had ticket booked but then couldn't go.

My mate still went and rated it 2/10.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 pm

I need to see it again to decide but I came out last night very satisfied.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 pm

thought it was great and very intriguing
a lot more good parts than bad
just don't look one in the eyes okay :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Three days later, I'm finding TLJ to be quite satisfying. I've been mulling it over and my previous uncertainty has gone. I liked it before, now I'm thinking it may be great.

It could have taken the easy route and did the expected, but it doesn't even follow any of the predictions from TFA, never mind the wider arc.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

subzero

Post by subzero » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 pm

its a turd
its a turd
its a big fat steaming turd

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 am

I saw it last night and wasn't expecting much after having hated the last 2 films. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement, I think its probably my favourite Star Wars film now!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 am

I think the last Jedi is a complete mess.
There are lots of iconic Star Wars imagery but so much of the plot is nonsense and Finn is woefully underused.
It's one of the most uneven films I've watched for an age. It's better than the god awful Rogue One and I love how it effectively dumps on so many Star Wars theories, but if this director is disneys new visionary for the franchise then it's in a lot of trouble.

They need to make a spinoff about kylo Ren pronto as Adam driver is the best thing in the movie.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 am
I think the last Jedi is a complete mess.
There are lots of iconic Star Wars imagery but so much of the plot is nonsense and Finn is woefully underused.
It's one of the most uneven films I've watched for an age. It's better than the god awful Rogue One and I love how it effectively dumps on so many Star Wars theories, but if this director is disneys new visionary for the franchise then it's in a lot of trouble.

They need to make a spinoff about kylo Ren pronto as Adam driver is the best thing in the movie.
Bah! You reviewers are too critical :lol:

I really enjoyed the film and would say its in my top 9 star wars films.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:28 am

Kylo Ren is a whiny child, he was awesome until they unmasked him (to early), is he good, is he bad every five minutes. Darth Vader was evil until the very end.
It is in my top 9 Star Wars films too, near the bottom as there are not many more than that anyway.
I love Rogue One, it had lots of characters from the original trilogy in it and bridged the gap between episode 3 and 4 perfectly.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:28 am
Kylo Ren is a whiny child, he was awesome until they unmasked him (to early), is he good, is he bad every five minutes. Darth Vader was evil until the very end.
It is in my top 9 Star Wars films too, near the bottom as there are not many more than that anyway.
I love Rogue One, it had lots of characters from the original trilogy in it and bridged the gap between episode 3 and 4 perfectly.
It's not about him being evil. It's about him being conflicted by being pulled in two different directions. He's one of the most interesting characters to ever appear in the Star Wars universe and there's far more depth to him than solo, skywalker and the rest of the cast of the original trilogy. That's mainly down to driver being a far better actor than the others were at that stage in their careers and certainly not because of the strong writing. The scenes between him and Rey are superb. Hamil is also good, in fact it's probably the best he's ever been in the series.
Kylo ren may be a whiny teen, but he's a whiny teen who is incredibly strong in the force and that's a terrifying combination. I find the last Jedi such a frustrating movie but at least it isn't as poor as rogue one.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:26 pm
Big Shoes wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:28 am
It's not about him being evil. It's about him being conflicted by being pulled in two different directions. He's one of the most interesting characters to ever appear in the Star Wars universe and there's far more depth to him than solo, skywalker and the rest of the cast of the original trilogy. That's mainly down to driver being a far better actor than the others were at that stage in their careers and certainly not because of the strong writing. The scenes between him and Rey are superb. Hamil is also good, in fact it's probably the best he's ever been in the series.
Kylo ren may be a whiny teen, but he's a whiny teen who is incredibly strong in the force and that's a terrifying combination. I find the last Jedi such a frustrating movie but at least it isn't as poor as rogue one.
I've not seen TLJ yet but I imagine with the experience in things like wing commander and with the years of watching the trilogy back he has had time to think about how he might apply him self to the role again and of course the scripts now are a lot deeper then they were in the trilogy which played as a much more straight action movie series
This guy are sick

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am

I thought TLJ was pretty good but I preferred The Force Awakens. I also thought Rogue One was ace!

Watched Episode 2 again the other day. Now there's a turd!
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel