Retro Gamer - ISSUE 174.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Crusty Starfish

Retro Gamer - ISSUE 174.

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Seeing as there has yet to be a thread for this (it turned up this morning) I thought it only right to start one off!

Some good looking stuff inside the mag. I'm sure someone will be along to list it all!

For me though, I understand that the XBOX is kind of retro now, but that is a horrible cover! (personal opinion obviously). 40 Years of the 2600 would have been excellent!

But if it sells more copies, then horrible covers will have to do :|

Top articles I've read so far are Starpaws and the Sinclair ones. Plenty more to dig into. :D :D
Attachments
rg174.jpeg
rg174.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 627 times

paranoid marvin

Re: Retro Gamer - ISSUE 174.

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Horrible cover and I'm not sure that the swearing is appropriate for the mag, but some great looking features.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Swearing on the cover just looks wrong. The cover is one of the least memorable I can remember, hopefully the content will make up for it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:35 pm

The Seaquest Making Of is only 2 pages, is there more to the article?

Swearing is not needed in RG but I guess its used here for sales? Is Future pushing more towards there own way of doing things, like the swearing and new-ish retro on the cover for more sales?

Minus the swearing the cover is eye catching with the green & black design.

Whats with the ad on page 9?

Prohibition on CPC was a nice surprise.
Image Image Image Image

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am

I think the quote on the cover sums it up well and really should not have been used. Although I admit these machines are now getting on a bit they do seem to blur the line of what I think is retro, with the exception of increased polygon, pixel counts and speed technology hasn't really move on in any great steps from these machines. This means they could still play a passable and recognisable version of games made today just a but poorer in the visual stakes. There has been nothing like the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit and then to 32 bit 3D etc.

I haven't read much of the issue yet but look forward to the Sinclair and Artic parts.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:56 am

I absolutely love the cover , then again i do love the original xbox , good in depth article as well , just got to the atari 2600 feature now and that is so far a brilliant read , congratulations on another top issue !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Future Publishing have used swearing with an Xbox cover on Edge magazine at least twice, so no surprise to see it used here.

Articles wise though, You may be a doctor. But I'm the Doctor. The definite article, you might say...but there is little of interest in this months issue.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Forum users have been warned in the past for circumventing the swear filter.
I guess, due to the latest cover, that it's now acceptable to add f**king swearing to posts?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Be interesting to see how the likes of WHS will feel about stocking a mag with such a prominent use of bad language. I guess if swearing sells mags then we'll probably see it more often. I'm no prude, but it just feels out of place and completely out of character with the mag.

It's ironic that the most modern RG cover (in respect of it's cover) belies one of the most retro amounts of content for quite some time.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:01 pm
..... swearing......just feels out of place and completely out of character with the mag.
There have been many interviews in the mag which contained swearing. Uncensored at that.
It's not big or clever. Or edgy.
Think of the children! :wink:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:11 pm

sirclive1 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:56 am
I absolutely love the cover , then again i do love the original xbox , good in depth article as well , just got to the atari 2600 feature now and that is so far a brilliant read , congratulations on another top issue !
Looks a good issue for me, and personally don't have an issue with the issue from a cover point of view!

But is Xbox retro? :wink: Yeah I think it is of course, just diverting attention from 'Covergate.' :lol:

Zaichik

Post by Zaichik » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 pm

An enjoyable issue but I have spotted one error: in the article on Sinclair Research, it says that the Ultimate game, Tranz Am, was only released on cartridge but it was actually released on cassette as well. It was one of the first games I bought for my Spectrum and I've still got it in the garage somewhere.

ely

Post by ely » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 am

Zaichik wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 pm
An enjoyable issue but I have spotted one error: in the article on Sinclair Research, it says that the Ultimate game, Tranz Am, was only released on cartridge but it was actually released on cassette as well. It was one of the first games I bought for my Spectrum and I've still got it in the garage somewhere.
I think it's the fact that no cassette version was released under the "Sinclair Research" branding. The original was an Ultimate Play The Game release like this;

So, either that's the one you have or you have a very very rare cassette indeed.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 pm

ely wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 am
Zaichik wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 pm
I think it's the fact that no cassette version was released under the "Sinclair Research" branding. The original was an Ultimate Play The Game release like this;

So, either that's the one you have or you have a very very rare cassette indeed.
Wasn't there a silver label SR one?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ely

Post by ely » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 pm
Wasn't there a silver label SR one?
Not according to the article, unless the SR "silver label" range is different from the normal SR range. I'm no expect though, I never owned a Spectrum and I just read the article last night.