The Book of the Game of the Film: now available in paperback!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jerellis1

The Book of the Game of the Film: now available in paperback!

Post by jerellis1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43 am

Major double-announcement time, folks. First up, my new book - more than three years in the making - is at last complete and available to preorder. The Book of the Game of the Film is a full-colour, 300-page, 150,000-word hardcover epic and I’m going to describe it to you just as soon as you’ve feasted your eyes on this delightful dust jacket cover:

DUST JACKET FRONT.jpg
DUST JACKET FRONT.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 400 times
The Book of the Game of the Film is a follow-up to The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x, which came out in 2009. This time around, instead of looking back at a broad mix of the titles that graced many of the of the more obscure platforms of the day, I’ve put together what amounts to a celebration of the film tie-ins (and much more - see below) that were released for 8-bit home computers between 1980 and 1993; that’s 121 films, from Alien to Willow, each given a full page and an average of 500 words’ worth of analysis. As you can see from the following sample pages (see pdf links below chapter intro page), the book is in landscape format, and every essay is accompanied by cover artwork and screen shots. The essays themselves generally consist of three paragraphs, the first being a summary of the film in question, and the rest given over to an overview of the game (or games) it inspired. It’s a similar format to that adopted for The 8-Bit Book, although at around 500 words a time, the essays are significantly longer this time (the average word count per page back in 2009 was around 350).

Try some sample pages!

Now brace yourselves, because there’s more - much more! Soon after I started writing the book, it occurred to me that the tie-in phenomenon back in the day wasn’t restricted to movies alone; in fact, there were almost as many games based on television programmes as there were film tie-ins. Well, I couldn’t ignore them, so I decided to expand the book to include them as well. There are 77 of these entries in the book, from Auf Wiedersehen Pet to The Young Ones, together constituting the Programme Programs section:

I promised much more, and I’m a man of my word, so say hello to the third section of the book: Bands, Brands and Grandstands. It wasn’t just film and television tie-ins that dominated the home computer gaming scene in the ‘80s and early ‘90s; titles based on pop groups, sports personalities and high-street brands were also extremely popular. There are a further 34 pages in this section, packed with classic titles from Action Biker (promoting KP Skips) to Zoids:

And that’s not all. There’s still one more chapter in this story to be told. The title of the final section of the book pretty much covers what’s involved here:

The Book of the Game of the Film wraps with a 56-page tribute to the games that were inspired by books, comics, role-playing games and other literary works during the 8-bit computer gaming era, from Adrian Mole to the X-Men. This section could have been much longer as it quickly became apparent once I’d started writing it that the number of games in this category runs well into double figures, but I didn’t feel it would be wise to cover every single one of them as I’d be running the joint risks of drifting too far from the original premise and having to come up with a different name for the book (and I also really wanted to stick to a page limit of 300.)

Hopefully that’s given you a pretty clear idea of what to expect. The book is now complete and currently undergoing proofreading; I have the printer lined up and ready to go and I’m going to be accepting pre-orders from today - more on that in a moment. Initially there will be 1,000 copies printed, all hardcovers. There may be future print runs, but for now I’m setting the limit at 1,000. The books are roughly A5 landscape-sized and shaped, so they won’t take up too much space on your coffee table, but they will be satisfyingly thick and hefty.

The price of the book is £24.99, plus p&p. Within the UK, p&p will be £3.90 for 2nd-class Recorded Delivery. The books will be very safely packed in recycled card packaging. Overseas postage is quite steep I'm afraid - it's £14.65 within Europe and £19.90 everywhere else. That's for tracked and signed-for international postage via Royal Mail. If I can find a cheaper but equally reliable international postage option, I'll post an update. Payment is via PayPal Friends and Family, to avoid extra fees; anybody who would prefer to pay by standard PayPal Goods and Services is welcome to do so, but there would be a small additional charge to cover the resulting fees (exact amount TBC). Payment will need to be up-front, as the printer needs to be paid in advance, but I won’t actually be requesting payment from customers immediately; instead, I’m planning to compile an initial list of 300 people who can offer me a firm pledge that they’ll be buying the book, and once I’ve gathered those 300 names, I’ll contact everyone to request payment. As soon as those payments are made, the printer will be instructed to go ahead, and it will then take around two weeks for the books to arrive, and then I’ll dispatch them as quickly as I can (based on past experience as a seller on eBay, I’m confident that I can pack and dispatch around 50 parcels in a single day, so it shouldn’t take more than a week for me to get everyone’s books posted by that point.) However, anyone who would like to send their PayPal payment sooner is welcome to do so, and there will be an advantage in doing this, as the first 300 people to confirm their preorder will have their name printed inside the book on the All Time Heroes high-score table. The first 300 copies of the book dispatched will also be numbered and signed, and the number you receive will correspond with your position on the All Time Heroes table. Please note that names for inclusion in the book are subject to approval - I wouldn't be able to accept anything rude or offensive in any way, for obvious reasons!

My PayPal address is jerellis1@yahoo.com (it’s the same as my e-mail address.) If you’re placing a pre-order, please e-mail me or PM me as well and I’ll give you an order number once I’ve received your payment. If you’re just pledging your interest for now, please let me know and I’ll add you to the initial list on a first-come, first-served basis, although obviously those who actually send their payment rather than simply offering a promise to buy the book will have their names moved up the high-score list accordingly! Naturally I’ll provide regular updates here on how it’s all going. At the moment there’s no website to promote the book, although I do plan to set up a golembooks.co.uk website at some point, which will basically include all of the above info and maybe an ordering system if I can get my head around how to do it, and as long as it’s not too expensive to run. For now though, hopefully this thread and the Facebook page that I will be launching shortly will suffice.

Okay, now for a surprise bonus announcement. My first book, The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x, is available to buy again for the first time since 2009!

I have a batch of brand-new paperback copies from the original print run, each priced at £17.99 plus p&p. Postage is £2.25 within the UK, £6.60 within Europe and £10.15 everywhere else. This is the first time it’s been possible to buy The 8-Bit Book outside of eBay for a number of years, and it’s also the cheapest it’s ever been to buy the book in the UK - when they first came out they were all dispatched from the USA, and postage to the UK was ridiculously high at something like £8 per book! For anyone unfamiliar with the book, you can find out more about it in this Retro Gamer thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10618

Here’s a cherry-picked selection of humbling praise for The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x:

“ … wonderfully presented… a varied and a highly informative read…” - Retro Gamer magazine (Treasure of the Month, December 2009)
“… a truly varied read that effortlessly jumps from nostalgia to gaming history and even touches on design philosophy.” - Obsolete Gamer
“… extremely well-written… exceeds any other videogame book I've read.” - A.S.G. (amazon.com reviewer)
“… a jewel…” - Ars Lucida
“… a real gem… depicts a whole epoch with dynamism and precision.” - grospixels.com

The book also benefits from a foreword contributed by none other than David Braben.

As with The Book of the Game of the Film, payment for The 8-Bit Book should be made directly to jerellis1@yahoo.com via PayPal Friends & Family. Please e-mail me or PM me your address details when you send your payment and I will get back to you with an order number. The 8-Bit Book is in stock right now and will be dispatched immediately upon receipt of payment. If anyone wants me to sign or dedicate their copy, let me know and I’ll make it so.

:D
Last edited by jerellis1 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am, edited 14 times in total.

Antiriad2097

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: a new book about 8-bit computer games. Preorderable now!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 am

The Book of the Game... looks great, I've preordered, having very much enjoyed the 8 Bit book and its stablemates from Hiive.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jerellis1

Re: The Book of the Game of the Film: a new book about 8-bit computer games. Preorderable now!

Post by jerellis1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 am

Hey that's great - if you enjoyed The 8-Bit Book then I'm sure you'll love The Book of the Game of the Film. It's bigger, brighter and - according to my mum - far more interesting! ;)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:26 am

Looks fantastic! If I can spare enough cash, I'll be ordering it (and the 8-Bit one too) :)

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks! There's still plenty of time before we go to print (well, around five or six weeks) so fingers crossed here you'll be able to join the All Time Heroes in preordering the new book! :)

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 pm

https://www.facebook.com/jerellis1/vide ... 6215404156

Preorders still only just trickling in - hopefully the above trailer (best viewed in HD) will help to pull in a few more punters! :)

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Looking forward to this
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 pm

This looks fantastic!

There were some amazing film games, so I'll certainly buying a copy! :D
Press Play On Tape

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks! Here's the full list of entries in Part One, the films section - I'll add lists of the games in Parts Two, Three and Four later:

Duel
Poltergeist
Tron
E.T. Phone Home
Star Trek (movies)
Chuck Norris Superkicks
Porky’s
M*A*S*H
The Dark Crystal
Fantastic Voyage
My Name is Uncle Groucho...
Killer Gorilla (King Kong)
Godzilla
Blue Thunder
Westworld
Bruce Lee
Wargames
The Quest for the Holy Grail

The Evil Dead
Highnoon
Gremlins
Chiller
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai...
Alien
Ghostbusters
Give My Regards to Broad Street
The Rocky Horror Show
Conan: Hall of Volta
Rocket Ball
A View to a Kill
Rocky
Mickey Mouse
Donald Duck
The Goonies
The Neverending Story
Blade Runner
Rambo
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Friday the 13th
Kung Fu Master
Back to the Future
Biggles
The Black Cauldron
Return to Oz
Top Gun
SpaceCamp
King Kong 2
Flash Gordon
Nosferatu the Vampyre
Labyrinth
Highlander
Aliens
Cobra
Howard the Duck
Bride of Frankenstein
Short Circuit
Big Trouble in Little China
Road Runner
Laurel & Hardy
The Living Daylights
Mystery of the Nile
Death Wish 3
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Werewolves of London
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
Star Wars
Young Sherlock Holmes
Masters of the Universe - The Movie
Platoon
Predator
Starring Charlie Chaplin
The Three Stooges
Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon
Empire Strikes Back
Psycho
Live and Let Die
Return of the Jedi
Robocop
Willow
Rambo III
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Running Man
Red Heat
Tom & Jerry
Jaws
Licence to Kill
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Untouchables
Batman - The Movie
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Moonwalker
Back to the Future Part II
Ghostbusters II
Die Hard
Beverly Hills Cop
The Spy Who Loved Me
Nightbreed
Days of Thunder
Robocop 2
Navy SEALs
The Hund for Red October
Total Recall
censored Tracy
Gremlins 2
Back to the Future Part III
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
Predator 2
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Darkman
Arachnophobia
Terminator 2
Robocop 3
Hudson Hawk
The Neverending Story 2
Jetsons: The Movie
Die Hard 2
The Addams Family
Hook
Cool World
Lethal Weapon
Alien 3

Phew! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Spoiler alert!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 am

Unfortunately I won't be getting as the postage cost to NZ just makes it a bit too much. But I totally understand of course, as a heavy hardcover is a hefty cost to freight unless you're amazon with bulk deals! If you do find a cheaper way, just post it up though :)

In any case though, congratulations on what looks like a superb book :)

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks kiwimike! The overseas p&p prices are indeed a bit on the eye-watering side...! Will definitely update everyone if anything does change on that front. :)

In the meantime, here's the running order for the Programme Programs section of the book:

The Prisoner
Drogna (The Adventure Game)
Doctor Who
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Dallas
The Magic Roundabout
Danger Mouse
Terrahawks
Monkey Magic
The Fall Guy
SuperTed
Airwolf
The Tripods
Blockbusters
Automan

The Dukes of Hazzard
Super Gran
Minder
Robin of Sherwood
Roland’s Rat Race
Street Hawk
Kikstart
Thunderbirds
Battle of the Planets
Benny Hill’s Madcap Chase!
The Adventures of Basildon Bond
Zorro

The Flintstones
Max Headroom
V
Play Your Cards Right
Dempsey and Makepeace
The Young Ones
Spitting Image
Countdown
Bullseye
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
Scooby Doo
The Trap Door
Treasure Hunt
It’s a Knockout
Star Trek
ALF
Grange Hill
Eastenders
Challenge of the Gobots
Centurions
Masters of the Universe
Knightmare
Thundercats
Inspector Gadget
The Krypton Factor
Yes Prime Minister
Bravestarr
Star Wars Droids
Every Second Counts
Bob’s Full House
The Pink Panther
The Munsters
The A-Team
Run the Gauntlet
Gilbert: Escape from Drill
Defenders of the Earth
Hong Kong Phooey
Top Cat
The Real Ghostbusters
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
Edd the Duck
The Wombles
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
The Simpsons
Neighbours
The Blues Brothers
Wacky Races
Captain Planet and the Planeteers

:)

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Here are the rest of the games featured in the book - first up, Bands, Brands and Grandstands (remember, every single one of the following is effectively an original essay running to around 500 words, and if you include the film and television sections outlined above, that's around 290 essays and roughly 150,000 words in total!):

Daley Thompson’s Decathlon
Barbie
GI Joe
Weetabix vs the Titchies
Mr. Wimpy
Eddie Kidd Jump Challenge
Brian Jacks Superstar Challenge / Uchi Mata
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
The Thompson Twins
Jack Charlton’s Match Fishing
Action Biker
Frank Bruno’s Boxing
Ian Botham’s Test Match
Beatle Quest
Tour de France / Milk Race / Kellogg’s Tour
Harvey Smith Showjumper
Geoff Capes Strongman
The Transformers
Zoids
Tubular Bells
Samantha Fox Strip Poker
Hot Wheels
Action Force
Brian Clough’s Football Fortunes
Gary Lineker’s Superstar Soccer
Nigel Mansell’s Grand Prix
MASK
The Muncher
Gazza’s Super Soccer
The California Raisins
Subbuteo
Mad Mix Game: The Pepsi Challenge
Spot - The Computer Game
WWF Wrestlemania
McDonaldland

The final part of the book covers games inspired by or adapted from literary texts (including comics) and board games:

The Hobbit
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain / Citadel of Chaos / Forest of Doom
B.C.’s Quest for Tires
The Snowman
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World
Hunchback
Popeye
The War of the Worlds
Macbeth
The Hulk
Spy vs Spy
Strontium Dog
Lone Wolf
Battlecars
Talisman
Spider-Man
Buck Rogers
The Saga of Erik the Viking
The Fourth Protocol
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Rupert and the Toymaker’s Party
Seas of Blood / Temple of Terror / Rebel Planet
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole
Batman
Superman
Fantastic Four
Dan Dare
The Way of the Tiger
James Clavell’s Shogun / Tai-Pan
The Lord of the Rings
Trivial Pursuit
Asterix
Dredd
The Colour of Magic
Tarzan
Rogue Trooper
Nemesis the Warlock
Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
Shadows of Mordor
How to Be a Complete Bastard
Oink!
Slaine
Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo
Andy Capp
Garfield
Roy of the Rovers
Captain America
The Crack of Doom
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Snoopy
Tintin on the Moon
X-Men
Dr Doom
The Famous Five
Viz
Hero Quest

Preorders and pledges to buy are still coming in a bit more slowly than I'd hoped - not a problem though, as if preorders don't quite match what I'd initially anticipated then I can always do a smaller print run and aim for something like 100 names for the All Time Heroes list (rather than 300) in order to meet the now-firm December 10 deadline (after this date I won't be able to add any more names to the list as the PDFs will already have gone off to the printers!) Hopefully sales will pick up over the next 3-4 weeks while proofreading and final tweaks are being completed - I'm busy getting all of that finished now, and assuming it's been done by the last week of November, that will leave just enough time for a final sales push at the end of the month. In the meantime, spread the word and please let me know if you're considering reserving a copy! :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 am

This book really does look awesome. If I get a bit of xmas overtime I may just swallow that hefty freight pill and get anyway! :)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 am

I actually do want both of these books... Will see how cash flow is over the next few weeks. Deffo will order as soon as I get the funds.