What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:42 pm

iprice wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 pm
Finished off Steamworld Heist - I've had it ages, but only just got around to playing it. Another cracking Steamworld game that is just far too short.

Please Sir, can I have more?!

Hopefully Steamworld Dig 2 will be longer than Dig 1 and a sequel to Heist announced soon after Dig 2 releases. i don;t want much, just MOOOOOOOORE! :lol:
Yeah, I started, and finished Heist last week. Took me around 12 hours since I was grinding and doing some misc trophies. Kept me glued to my Vita which is always a good sign. It was just tough enough for me, but well designed so that it never really felt unfair (that second boss was pretty darn tough at points though!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am

Finished off Zelda BOTW yesterday, ended up finishing all the shrines to as I really enjoyed how unique each puzzle was. Also cleared the master sword DLC ready for my final battle, which certainly helped! All in all its an excellent game, the most fun I've had with Zelda in quite a while.

Today I finished Crash Bandicoot 3 via the recent PS4 collection. I've now finished all 3 with platinum trophies for each. I'd never really played the games back in the day bar 2, and even then I barely scratched the surface of that game based on how much hidden content it has. Loved my time with the 3 games, its nice to have some linear 3D platformers to enjoy, while I enjoyed Yooka Laylee I prefer platformers that don't have collectables at the heart of the game like Rare used to do, so this series was exactly what I needed.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 am

Doom RL

it gave me an invulnerability orb right before the last boss, so I let rip with the missile launcher (with power and bulk mods)

RetroReserve

Post by RetroReserve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Worked through a backlog of games other the past few months so I have a few to cover but first...

Final Fantasy XIII - Xbox 360

When Final Fantasy VII and VIII first came out I completed both games but subsequent Final Fantasy games I would play, sometimes to the final boss, but never completed them. A few years ago I decided to play though all the Final Fantasy games. So far I have completed IX, X, X-2 but with a bit of a gap between each because I don't want to play long RPGs one after the other. Final Fantasy XIII was the first single player mainline entry that I did not buy straight away since VII. I was not carried away with XII due to not really liking the storyline, characters, license board system and the shift away from the ATB battle system and the mixed reactions to XIII from critics and other players made me avoid it. I picked up a copy for the 360 just before Christmas for £1.00 though so if it was bad I wouldn't be missing out too much.

As you can probably tell I went into this game with low expectations. After playing it I have different feelings about the game.

The overall story in the game is not one of the best in the series. I do think that a lot of this is due to the way that you are given information about the characters and world. The first few chapters happen so fast and with some, but not enough, exposition that I had to rely on the in game glossary to know what was actually happening and even then there were things about the setting that I was unsure about. Maybe the story would seem better if more of the information was in the gameplay itself or the cut scenes.

I did hear bad things about the characters in the game from reviews. Vanille and Snow were the ones usually brought up but I didn't think they were that bad. Snow could be kind of cheesy sometimes but by far the worst character was Lightning. I just really did not like her attitude for most of the game and I'm pretty sure that this means that I'll never bother to play XIII-3.

The battle system was actually quite fun. It is sort of a mix between the ATB battles of old and the wind up and let it go approach of FFXII. Your characters take on the roles of medic, ravager, commando, saboteur, synergist and sentinel. Each role has abilities/magic that can be unlocked by earning CP points from battles. Initially the characters have three roles but they get access to all by the end of the game. You can set up multiple paradigms which consist of different combinations of roles for each party member. During battle you get direct control of the party leader but you will only really have to use the auto battle option as it automatically selects the best ability/magic combo based on the enemy. You other party members also automatically attack with the most suitable actions. What you spend most time doing is changing paradigms based on the situation. Are your characters almost dead? Then switch to the combat medic paradigm where you have two medics to heal the party and a sentinel to aggro and tank the damage. Need to fill the stagger bar quickly? Switch to the tri-disaster paradigm to make all character switch to ravager roles.

I did find the pacing of the battles starting to slow down once the sentinel role is introduced though. Battles up to this point were fairly quick but once the sentinel role is available many enemies start to have really large health bars and use certain attacks that only a sentinel can live through. This makes even standard battles last much longer and very reliant on the stagger mechanic to get through. Once an enemy is staggered they can be stunned and take a lot more damage. Some of the enemies health bars are so large this is the only way to beat them in less than five minutes. It can also get a little boring in some of the longer fights to keep repeating the same strategy over and over but I only found this an issue while grinding.

Levelling is addictive but since you do not have direct control in combat learning a new ability or magic attack doesn't have the same impact when you get to use it. Grinding is not necessary to beat this game. There are caps on the amount you can level at any one time which increase at certain points in the story. I was able to complete the game by levelling up the three main roles for each character without levelling the additional roles when they are unlocked. The levelling is also very linear; it reminded me of the easy mode sphere grids from FF X.

I've read a lot of criticism about the pacing of the game such as the first 20 hours being a tutorial. Personally this did not bother me. I think a lot of this was down to the save points being very close together. I found the early chapters of the game quite moreish. I would hit a save point but then think the next one won't be that far away I can earn more CP and maybe more gameplay mechanics will be unlocked. I thought the game wound down more when I got to Grand Pulse and exploration became more open. Due to the caps on the levelling there was no real reason to grind too much as you are encouraged to do and I just wanted to get back onto the story.

There are a few elements in the game that were not utilised fully. There is a weapon upgrade system but I completed the game without updating any weapon or item. The weapon selection itself it pretty limited as once I found a weapon with a decent additional attribute I never changed. There is an endgame after completing the main story where you can complete all of the missions available on Grand Pulse where I understand that fully levelling your characters and their equipment is required. The summon creatures are not needed in combat. Outside of using them for story reasons I never summoned one into battle.

Graphically the game looks amazing. After playing the Xbox One and PS4 this generation some 360 and PS3 games are starting to show their age but FF XIII looks like it could be a game from this generation. The soundtrack is okay but not very memorable when compared to other games in the series.

Overall, despite some of the bad elements in the game I'm really glad I played it and wished I'd given it a chance when it first came out. The game was more fun than I was expecting and has made me consider playing XIII-2.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 am

XIII-2 is better, it is less linear and has more NPCs that make it feel more like an actual world, but the story is really confusing even compared to the first and to be honest I found both pretty dull.

I've just finished Metro Last Light, which if I had to sum up in one word would be atmosphere. It does a great job of creating a world where it feels like mankind is just hanging on, like Fallout with the humour removed. It's pretty much the same as the first game but that's not a bad thing, and can get really tense when you're scrabbling around looking for filters. Only thing I don't like is that the shooting feels a bit off - I'm certain there were times I hit an enemy dead on and it just didn't register. I thought this might be intentional given the makeshift nature of the weapons, but I've had it happen with throwing knives as well.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 am

Finished Dante's Inferno.

It was OK but probably a game I won't play again after trying a few on the unlocked things. I don't normally bother with achievements but was a little annoyed that missed just one of the absolved people, especially as I saw them and couldn't reach them.

Oh well.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

muRte

Post by muRte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 am

Just completed Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) and now enjoying The Last of Us (PS3) ;)

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

Majora's Mask 3D, what a game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Resident Evil Directors Cut as Jill. First time finishing the original, my Saturn copy doesn't always work and I started with the remake originally (well, first one I played was Resident 2 but meh)

Also finished Resident Evil 3 three times on the GameCube as my original save corrupted so I'm missing all the epilogue files I unlocked bah!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 am

sonic on the master system, but with only 4 chaos emeralds :-(

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

126 hours later, finally finished Yakuza 0 with 100% completion. Loved replaying it, and already have the remake of 1 up next to replay ready for 2's remake in December :mrgreen:

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Shadows of the Damned.

Very dull. I personally think that Suda 51 is a tad overrated.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:17 pm

After much searing at the TV, sweating hands & a grimace held steadily on my face for about 20 minutes solid in the final parts of working out how to defeat him - I finally killed Dracula & the blue beast at the end of Castlevania 1 on my NES mini last Sunday night. Save states literally saved my TV from having a controller thrown at it... tho luckily with the controller cords being so short it would have no doubt bunjie-cord sprung back in my face & injured me lol

The whole boss fight from getting into Dracula's room to killing the blue beast took probably around an hour & 15mins of gameplay time involving: Watching the attack pattern, learning how to counter, choosing the right weapon at the right time then using it at exactly the right moments, moving the right way at exactly the right time & hitting the reset button to access the last save state I reckon on average every 20 to 40 seconds :twisted: I told my mate who doesn't play retro at work about this & he asked if I was sure I wasn't playing about Dark Souls hahah
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am

Finished off the main story on Nioh this week. Fantastic stuff! Its tough but the fun kind of challenge that kept me coming back, and I'm still playing it as I'm trying to clear all the optional missions and DLC missions while also levelling my gear up more.

Also finally finished Tokyo Xanadu on the Vita. Ended up playing the game through twice as I wanted to give the Nightmare/Infinity difficulties a try, honestly not as hard as I was expecting! Helped that I was levelled up nicely already, so only the last couple of bosses took a while to beat (huge amounts of health for both). Great fun, even if the story was a bit cliche at times.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Exile's End on PS4, which was a nice throwback to the '80s action adventure platformers

though it has a very strange and possibly utterly frustrating 'autosave'