Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ommadawnyawn

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by ommadawnyawn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:03 am

I recommend "Amiga Years | From Bedrooms to Billions", even if you didn't have one as it's pretty in depth, really well edited and they seemed to get the most out of the people interviewed.
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm

just watched the two documentaries RG suggested in the latest issue, "High Score" and "Man vs Snake". Man vs Snake was ok, not bad, not really memorable though, not really as inspiring as it perhaps set out to be. 'High Score' was the first video game documentary I have seen that I have to say I really didn't like at all, nearly bored me to tears, there was no point in even making that documentary in my opinion. The first really disappointing video game documentary Ive seen, as I said.

"The Lost Arcade" is what I have to watch next, hopefully it will be an improvement.. a big improvement on 'High Score'!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:53 am

Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 pm

I've watched both B2B films now (including the extra discs) and I must say that the Amiga years one - forgetting that it is about computers or retro - is actually very well told and put together. It has a thread going through it all that is well spun, and should be holding interest for an audience looking for something more than a mindless 90 minutes.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am

I got my Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict DVD last week, not watched it yet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am
This looks interesting, hadn't heard of it before. Watched the 12min teaser, looks fun to watch. The DVD for rest of world is expensive though, but might get the download for this one.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am
This looks interesting, hadn't heard of it before. Watched the 12min teaser, looks fun to watch. The DVD for rest of world is expensive though, but might get the download for this one.
I uploaded my own video review of this the other day but forgot to post it here as I have been on holiday.

Here it is for those that are interested - Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict Review

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Just skipped through that review very quickly (didn't watch it all), but: AAAaaargh! Wrong screen ratios on gameplay segments. On a professionally produced DVD. That I paid for. I know I said this already, but AAAaaargh!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 pm
Just skipped through that review very quickly (didn't watch it all), but: AAAaaargh! Wrong screen ratios on gameplay segments. On a professionally produced DVD. That I paid for. I know I said this already, but AAAaaargh!
Yep. It annoyed me greatly, even more than the many factual mistakes.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 pm
Yep. It annoyed me greatly, even more than the many factual mistakes.
Yeah it's another reason I passed on the physical DVD. Both books and documentaries on video games, it's gone from famine to feast and quite a glut on the market now. So a bit more selective than I once was. I used to buy everything I saw, nowadays you not only think of physical shelf space but how much the DVD or book is doubling up on what you have already.

World 1:1 -I have space for that DVD! Cmon guys :wink: Backers must be tearing their hair out

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 am

The Laird wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm
I uploaded my own video review of this the other day but forgot to post it here as I have been on holiday.

Here it is for those that are interested - Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict Review
[/quote]

Thanks for that, good to have a review of it. Looks interesting enough from a nostalgia POV, but review convinced me it was one I can do without. With so much out now selective is the name of the game :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 am

King of Arcades has a new anniversary edition out with extra stuff on it if anyones interested. Links via their FB page- Amazon in the US, or a link to their Ebay for international. Open DVD for any zone :)

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Finally got to see the Power Glove documentary I backed on KS in 2014. Its ok, just ok
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:12 am

Just received The King of arcades DVD in the post :) Decided to buy the DVD instead of watch online cheaper for the anniversary edition with bonus extras.
Will probably chillax and watch tonight.

And I also enquired about World 1:1 dvd release with the makes on FB. No time soon sadly, they were good enough to reply but have got themselves in a bit of a pickle with the company that was producing the DVD for them. They are adamant it will appear...just no set time or in the foreseeable future. Pity. :(

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 pm

I think I will watch that one again - The King of Arcades, one of the best video gaming documentaries there is in my opinion. If the DVD has any good extras let me know. :wink:
Might snap that one up also.