How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Jimmy Corkhill

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Do you think there will be a VR unit for the XBox One at some point?

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 pm

xb1x will be either vive or rift compatable iin the fuure and xb might get ar
This guy are sick

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Motion sickness can be frequent. I used to use the save bits in resi evil to rest my eyes a bit. The controls on some games can be smoothed to avoid jarring movements, but you do get used to it, kind of. Try not to make sudden movements too often when just moving your eyes meybe enough.

Everyone thats used mine has been flabbergasted...even non gamers.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm
Motion sickness can be frequent. I used to use the save bits in resi evil to rest my eyes a bit. The controls on some games can be smoothed to avoid jarring movements, but you do get used to it, kind of. Try not to make sudden movements too often when just moving your eyes meybe enough.

i gave up on rigs untill i get used to vr locomotion crystal rift has a retro movement setting that gets rid of the glidey quickness so i'm ok now. I pushed through re7 beginning hour with out bad sickness but it wasnt too scary(i think because i did to playthoughs prior to vr) some 360 videos are bad duue to bad camera placement ect but overall i love it i think ocean decent,Cheap MDF rubbish and harmonix are the go to tech demos but i doubt vr worlds will have longevity like wii sports or other pack in titles but is a good tech demo.
call of duty vr was amazing but eve was a little tricky.
This guy are sick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm
Apparently so, but they're taking their time.
I've not been using mine as much as I was, mainly because I rarely do any gaming on a big TV, but whenever I put it on I'm still blown away by it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
I've not been using mine as much as I was, mainly because I rarely do any gaming on a big TV, but whenever I put it on I'm still blown away by it.
i'm looking forward to the xbox AR if it still happens AR would open up genres that VR struggles with(sports,fightin and any 3rd person experiahce would be a hard sell for VR and from experiance i think the playroom vr platform game would be better as ar)
This guy are sick

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:13 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 am
RetroAerosmith wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm

i gave up on rigs untill i get used to vr locomotion crystal rift has a retro movement setting that gets rid of the glidey quickness so i'm ok now. I pushed through re7 beginning hour with out bad sickness but it wasnt too scary(i think because i did to playthoughs prior to vr) some 360 videos are bad duue to bad camera placement ect but overall i love it i think ocean decent,Cheap MDF rubbish and harmonix are the go to tech demos but i doubt vr worlds will have longevity like wii sports or other pack in titles but is a good tech demo.
call of duty vr was amazing but eve was a little tricky.
Trust me - if you play the full resi title you will crrap yourself frequently.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 am

stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
i'm looking forward to the xbox AR if it still happens AR would open up genres that VR struggles with(sports,fightin and any 3rd person experiahce would be a hard sell for VR and from experiance i think the playroom vr platform game would be better as ar)
to be fair, you'll be surprised at how many games work within VR. All the genres you mention work perfectly well and some genres like first-person shooters are actually better as you can do things in them that are impossible in conventional games. I hate to use the phrase because it always sounds massively patronising, but until you actively use VR or play certain games it's impissible to understand how well they can work. Robot Rescue is a perfect example. I never expected a 3D Platformer to work so well in VR but it's amazing. I think AR is a good compromise, particularly from a power point of view, but I wouldn't give my PSVR up for anything :)
The biggest issue with VR is simple tolerance to motion sickness. That's the hurdle companies have to successfully clear.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am

yes I was unsure to how crystal rift would be on vr but once i set movemen to retro(as adviced to avoid the sickness it was causing) it felt like it was designed as a vr only game.

all those years of trying to peak around corners in 2D games seemed like a bad habbit but in vr it works so well.

as for Cheap MDF rubbish it's the tech demo/teaser I dreamt of when I told a friend I'd love a P.T type experiance but in vr
This guy are sick

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Is this the main PSVR thread? If so, I've played a ton of games on it.

Hex Tunnel - super average tunnel flying game. Poor.
Star Drone - also poor. This was a Vita puzzle game that has no place being on PSVR.
Time Carnage - very simplistic wave shooter but the way it handles weapons is good. Better than it first seems.
Arizona Sunshine - awful controls if using Move or DS4 but with the Aim controller this is the best.
Shooty Fruity - odd mix of manual labour and shooting. Works great. Looks kind of average though.
Sprint Vector - PSVR combined with exercise. All the reviews say it is great. It's not. It's horrible.
Megaton Rainfall - very ambitious game where you play as a superman/Jesus combo. A bit like EDF. Good.
End Space - decent (if basic) space shooter.
Sneaky Bears - okay wave shooter, but there are better options.
Special Delivery - VR Paperboy but with all the good stuff taken out and replaced with misery.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm
Is this the main PSVR thread? If so, I've played a ton of games on it.

Hex Tunnel - super average tunnel flying game. Poor.
Star Drone - also poor. This was a Vita puzzle game that has no place being on PSVR.
Time Carnage - very simplistic wave shooter but the way it handles weapons is good. Better than it first seems.
Arizona Sunshine - awful controls if using Move or DS4 but with the Aim controller this is the best.
Shooty Fruity - odd mix of manual labour and shooting. Works great. Looks kind of average though.
Sprint Vector - PSVR combined with exercise. All the reviews say it is great. It's not. It's horrible.
Megaton Rainfall - very ambitious game where you play as a superman/Jesus combo. A bit like EDF. Good.
End Space - decent (if basic) space shooter.
Sneaky Bears - okay wave shooter, but there are better options.
Special Delivery - VR Paperboy but with all the good stuff taken out and replaced with misery.
try these ones too

Sports bar VR
Polybius
Rush of blood
Pixel gear
Tiny trax
This guy are sick

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:30 am

Has anyone tried Wipeout yet? It's a free update that converts the entire game into VR and puts a lot of dedicated VR games to shame. I remember being at a friend's house back and watching Wipeout 2047 in amazement. I had that same feeling as i found myself sitting in my craft and looking out at the track in front of me. There are a bunch of "comfort settings" to reduce motion sickness in the option menu. I bravely turned them off and my god, it felt like really being thrown about in a small ship and i really don't think i could have done a bunch of races in a row. It's a must have and especially as you can still pick up the game for about £14 brand new.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 am

Yup Wipeout VR is incredible.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 am

try these ones too

Sports bar VR
Polybius
Rush of blood
Pixel gear
Tiny trax
Sports Bar is very good at pool, the rest of it isn't great though.

Polybius was pretty good. I'm more interested in Tempest 4K.

Rush of Blood is FANTASTIC!

Didn't try Pixel Gear yet. Didn't like Tiny Trax. The idea is fab but it was just too difficult to be fun.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm

0)
Bluce_Ree wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm
stayAwhile wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 am

try these ones too

Sports bar VR
Polybius
Rush of blood
Pixel gear
Tiny trax
Sports Bar is very good at pool, the rest of it isn't great though.

Polybius was pretty good. I'm more interested in Tempest 4K.

Rush of Blood is FANTASTIC!

Didn't try Pixel Gear yet. Didn't like Tiny Trax. The idea is fab but it was just too difficult to be fun.
I'm getting better at tiny trax, yes i loved rush of blood(had to play the spider level with the visor pulled forward and headphones out mind you) bloody scary game would love a second one.

yeah pool is the main atrraction for sports bar but not suprising since it's by cherry pop who made the pool and snooker nation games plus it was ment to be pool nation vr, the darts is good once you figure out theres a lock button chess and checkers dont even have any mechanics in them ramp ball is ok but better on other vr games and better on the wii too shuffle board had much better version on the wii(love suffleboard but not a fan of it here) and a better albit single player version on pierhead arcade too(thats a good game if you get it on sale but is sp only at the moment) reactions on sports bar is fun too.

polybuis in the vr is so trippy it feels like it could be THE polybius.

VRFC is ok too but can be sickyness at times but the dribble assist helps with this and also acts in a similar mannor to hulk mode on sports bar also helps you kick the ball for dribbling.

i would easily buy elite dangerous and train sim world again if they got psvr support(and if tsw was on p4 in the futture with vr of corse)

and i will be buying sociable soccer when its out so hope that get vr on ps4 too.
This guy are sick