2017/18 Football season chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: 2017/18 Football season chat

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Great result for Huddersfield, but a lack of investment and small squad size means that they will struggle, particularly in the second half of the season. As most promoted teams realise, you have to grab as many points before Christmas as you can, then just pray its enough fof the handful of pojnts gathered Dec-April. Would be great to see then stay up, but i just can't see it.

Can only imagine that Benitez is fuming at the lack of investment in the squad, can't see him lasting out the season.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm
Great result for Huddersfield, but a lack of investment and small squad size means that they will struggle, particularly in the second half of the season. As most promoted teams realise, you have to grab as many points before Christmas as you can, then just pray its enough fof the handful of pojnts gathered Dec-April. Would be great to see then stay up, but i just can't see it.
Hmmmm? They've got a squad of 27, of which 7 were brought in during the summer. You sure you're not thinking of a different team here? I know what's going on with the Terriers as one of my mates is a rampant supporter and goes to almost every game, home and away heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm
Hmmmm? They've got a squad of 27, of which 7 were brought in during the summer. You sure you're not thinking of a different team here? I know what's going on with the Terriers as one of my mates is a rampant supporter and goes to almost every game, home and away heh.
I hope you're right as the Terriers are a team I would love to see doing well as they play good football. They may have 27 players but I'm just not sure that they have 20 players of Premier League quality. Also with a big home pitch and a passing style of play they may find it difficult against better opposition; usually a smaller,tighter ground favours the underdog. After a great start last season they kind of lost their way a bit, which you really can't afford to do in the Prem; 2 or 3 bad results can turn into a relegation run at that level.

But a great result first up and a really big game next up against the Toon. Whatever happens I'm sure they ll have great support and wherever they finish they'll be financially secure for quite some time.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 am

I blooming well knew it, just knew it. Forest in 3rd with two wins out of two, Barnsley in 23rd with zero wins out of two. Who wins? Barnsely 2-1.

I just knew that we would lose. :evil:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 am

Barcelona manager bemoaning his lack of Neymar when getting beat by their closest rivals.poor guy only had Suarez and Messi up front.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Man United for the title. :lol:

Seriously though, for a team that had problems scoring last season eight goals in two matches is pretty impressive.

Nice to see Forest back to winning ways against Middlesbrough. Now particularly galling that we didn't beat Barnsley to get maximum points after four matches.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am

Transfer deadline day yesterday, though it is still open in Spain until tonight.

Chelsea signed Drinkwater from Leicester for £35M
Liverpool signed Oxlade-Chamberlain from Arsenal for £35M
Spurs signed Llorente from Swansea and Aurier from PSG.
Swansea signed Bony from Man City for £12M
Crystal Palace signed Sakho from Liverpool for £26M

To get round FFP PSG signed Mbappe on a season long loan before buying for £165M.

Barkley, Sanchez and Mahrez did not move in the window.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:42 pm

So Crystal Palace have sacked Frank de Boer after just four matches to most likely replace him with Roy Hodgson.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Yeah, surprised by that, it's not as if the team were playing badly, they just couldn't stick the ball in the net, made plenty of chances.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 am

There must be issues behind the scenes as well, because sacking after 4 games is ridiculous. And ill be very surprised if any fans at Palace would rather have Hodgson over him. With 3 of the next 4 fixtures being City, United and Chelsea Saturday against Saints is an absolute must win fixture, although with such a bad start, and such a major disruption to the start of the season, (and such an uninspiring manager now in charge) its going to be a really tough season for them.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 am

Ole Arrry has been sacked as Birmingham manager after six straight defeats in all competitions.

Hodgson started with a 0-1 loss to Southampton.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 pm

League Cup fourth-round draw

Arsenal v Norwich City
Bournemouth v Middlesbrough
Bristol City v Crystal Palace
Chelsea v Everton
Leicester City v Leeds United
Manchester City v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Swansea City v Manchester United
Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Carlo Ancelotti sacked as Bayern Munich manager after a poor start to the season.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Good to see the Internationals over again.

Some cracking results in the Premier League this weekend. Man City hammering Stoke 7-2, Chelsea losing to Crystal Palace 2-1 (who would have seen that coming) and Arsenal losing 2-1 to Watford.

Why the hell Man Utd played for a point against Liverpool I have no idea with the defence that Liverpool has.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Newcastle United are up for sale again.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog