Pandemonium! (PSOne/PC)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

miqrojamie

Pandemonium! (PSOne/PC)

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:09 am

A pretty underrated gem in my opinion. :)

It's a 2.5D platformer from a very nice perspective, which looks amazing for an early PSOne game. I got the game with my PSOne to my parents' delight. Currently on level 4 - the game is rather difficult!
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

The Laird

Re: Pandemonium! (PSOne/PC)

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am

I have the Sega Saturn version, I liked it more than I thought I would, given that I generally hate platformers!

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am

Haha, didn't know there was a Saturn version. :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it even though it was out of your niche!
My Blog

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I remember playing the demo that came with the Offical PS magazine quite a lot, but never got round to playing the full game. I remember they sexed up the female character for the sequel as well to try and compete with Tomb Raider.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:47 pm
I remember playing the demo that came with the Offical PS magazine quite a lot, but never got round to playing the full game. I remember they sexed up the female character for the sequel as well to try and compete with Tomb Raider.
:P
If you don't know, the female character's name is Nikkie. I use her in-game because she can double-jump, which is very useful in parts.
My Blog

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I recall this fondly. The game was a pack-in with the notoriously bad Voodoo Rush video card I had on my K6 233 PC.

Did you know it was released for the iPhone? I wrote it up in 2009, with video:

http://toucharcade.com/2009/04/29/ea-br ... he-iphone/

It's been gone from the store for years and years, tho.

bp
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Yeah, I knew that. Do you know why it was removed? It's a big shame since I have an iPhone...
My Blog

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 pm

miqrojamie wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 pm
Yeah, I knew that. Do you know why it was removed? It's a big shame since I have an iPhone...
Games drop off the store all the time. Devs don't have interest / resources in recompiling the game for some issue they have with a new version of the OS, so Apple pulls them eventually. I have physical backups of most of my 15,000 apps or so -- I will try and see if it works on a modern device. :-)

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 pm

blakespot wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 pm
miqrojamie wrote:
Games drop off the store all the time. Devs don't have interest / resources in recompiling the game for some issue they have with a new version of the OS, so Apple pulls them eventually. I have physical backups of most of my 15,000 apps or so -- I will try and see if it works on a modern device. :-)
Seeing as it's so old probably won't work on anything past the iPhone 5c which was the last 32-bit iPhone.
My Blog

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 am

blakespot wrote:
miqrojamie wrote:
Quick question on a tangent:
I had all the Jeff Minter OS games on my iphone before it died. Now i have a new one, i can't see anyway to re-download them. Is this possible at all?

I have Pandemonium on the Saturn as well. Nice little game and strangely for the Saturn, still affordable!

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

Loved this game. If memory serves it was one of the first 2.5D games but whereas others did nothing with the 3D element, Pandemonium had paths into and out of the screen. It also hit the sweet spot of platformer control systems and interactions with the game world that games like Mario et all got so right.

Another game you might like to try is Klonoa: Door to phantomile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRQycJw_do

Another excellent 2.5D game.
:)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 am
blakespot wrote:
miqrojamie wrote:
I had all the Jeff Minter OS games on my iphone before it died. Now i have a new one, i can't see anyway to re-download them. Is this possible at all?

I have Pandemonium on the Saturn as well. Nice little game and strangely for the Saturn, still affordable!
If you'd installed iTunes on your PC and downloaded the games there via synching your phone, you could possibly reinstall from that download. I've done it using the same phone, but never tried it with a new one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

Be warned though, if you want a physical copy it ain't cheap.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:20 pm

binaryRooster wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 am
blakespot wrote:
miqrojamie wrote:

You can definitely install an app on your local machine to an iPhone via iTunes after it has been pulled from the store. Problem is, will it run on the more recent phone / OS version? Sometimes yes, oftentimes no.

All of Jeff's games stopped working 3-4 years go with an OS update. Jeff made extremely little profit on the App Store and was soured by the experience. Asking him about it, he no longer has the Mac he used to develop them, so couldn't update them if he wanted to at present. He finally made a blog post about it.

I reviewed and evangelized all of Jeff's great iOS work and was sad to see them go.

http://toucharcade.com/?s=Jeff+minter

bp

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm
Gigifusc wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

Be warned though, if you want a physical copy it ain't cheap.
Wow. Yeh, just looked. Crazy. The USA versions are well over $100! How come? Was it that rare??

edit: And ironically - £3.99 o PSN for PS3 and PSVita.