BETA games, anything more fascinating ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jimmy Corkhill

BETA games, anything more fascinating ?

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Is there anything more fascinating than a video game in it's beta stage? Especially if you know the game really well.

There are a few shots of the original Mega Drive Sonic here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4_sFOjrV9o

Would love it if these were released one day, as a bonus or something?

Mario 64 is another good one, love the look of this, brings back so many memories of all the magazine articles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iHWVneNpaM

Have any of you been lucky enough to play BETA versions of retro games? I know there was a water-less and enemy-less version of Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1 I played years ago, which was a bit creepy (could have been a hack mind), the levels were in a different order also.

miqrojamie

Re: BETA games, anything more fascinating ?

Post by miqrojamie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Yeah, Mario 64 was definitely an interesting one. Someone was making a replica hack of the 1995 demo a while back with a huge focus on accuracy, although he cancelled it because someone else was resuming working on one, or something like that.

Here's the only video of the hack I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PRBM0NMc

I do have the last build of the hack, but it wasn't distributed as a patch, so cannot post it. Plus I don't have it stored anywhere I still access to this day.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:53 pm

That's really cool, hope it does get finished one day. Would love it if Nintendo released the beta as a bonus on a future Mario compilation or something (not likely I know).

Also, sort of on the same subject, I'm a huge fan or movie workprints, recently found this on Youtube

(Beetlejuice) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2RPIwylIg

I dunno, but I find viewing these unfinished films to have a quite spooky feel to it, like we are viewing top secret footage :lol:

I remember a friend of mine claiming to have a version of Men in Black II, with the special effects missing :shock:

EDIT----

Oh, and for any Disney fans out there, this is interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajg460zPxK0

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Alpha games? :wink:

Here's some Half-Life Alpha footage played by a Valve dev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTjVY04_k0

Feels a lot like a PS1 game with those non-accelerated graphics.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 am

I find the betas of unreleased games more interesting, things like Propeller Arena on the Dreamcast, giving us games we haven't experienced in any way before.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 am
I find the betas of unreleased games more interesting, things like Propeller Arena on the Dreamcast, giving us games we haven't experienced in any way before.
Definitely. Things like Diddy Kong Pilot are really interesting.
My Blog

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 am

Sonic 2's alpha/beta always interested me - especially because there were several levels not included in the final game that exist in varied states (Wood Zone being a woodland version of Metropolis by the looks of it), Hidden Palace Zone also existing as a mainly finished stage in one of the betas always interested me, its a pity the only version of Sonic 2 released that has HP included (both a reimagined and the original stage) is the mobile port. I'd have loved a port with physical controls...

Shenmue's beta/Saturn beta was always interesting as well, just down to how much was shown off and never included. Characters, areas and fights that were never used, the most interesting of which (for me) being the areas shown off that would have taken place after 2's ending, makes me wonder how far along Shenmue 3 was by the time it was initially cancelled.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

Sonic 2 Beta definitely interests me. No one knows for sure why they were scrapped, but some recent (late May 2017) reveals on Twitter show that the S2 time travel theory is actually true:

Image (Present)
Image (Ruined Future)
Image (Ancient)
Image (Medieval)

I'm not sure on the actual time zones myself but from a quick look that's what I assume it to be, the game was more linear than Sonic CD's time travelling: you started in the present, went to medieval times, then the ruined present, and then to ancient (I think?)

Sand Shower Zone was what we were previously calling Dust Hill Zone: DHZ happens to be the Medieval version of Green Hill Zone (probably Emerald Hill without its name).
My Blog

ThunderAliG

Post by ThunderAliG » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am

miqrojamie wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:46 pm
Yeah, Mario 64 was definitely an interesting one. Someone was making a replica hack of the 1995 demo a while back with a huge focus on accuracy, although he cancelled it because someone else was resuming working on one, or something like that.

Here's the only video of the hack I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PRBM0NMc

I do have the last build of the hack, but it wasn't distributed as a patch, so cannot post it. Plus I don't have it stored anywhere I still access to this day.
And that person that was making that beta revival was me. It was cancelled because of a few reasons, I explain those at the end of the post. I actually still have one of the latest roms on my google drive. I might release it publicly at one point. I am also making a sm64 rom hack called New Mario 64. It will have some hidden references to my old beta revival.

1: I was accused of stealing someone's content, so I just cancelled it because I didn't want to deal with a lot of drama
2: Dudaw is still working on his, even though he hasn't posted a video since 2013

Lord_Jenkins

Post by Lord_Jenkins » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

I have a great beta game for ya! It's not only beta - but also Amiga-inspired retro goodness.

So, one of my favorites on Amiga was Chaos Engine. But it didn't age too well and the Steam version is not perfect. But I've stumbled upon a game called Tower 57. Its demo was available during Humble E3 Bundle - so I've downloaded it... and it's great! I mean, the demo is pretty short and a little bit buggy (it's beta, after all) - so I can't judge the whole game... but what I've played so far was really nice. It's a twin-stick, dieselpunk action game with coop functionality. It's cool to play in single player, too, but it really shines in coop - when you can destroy stuff together.

However, I've not been able to get into any kind of more open (demo is limited to the first level) beta - I think it's locked for KS backers only... So if you guys played it - let me know what you think!

I would recommend y'all to remember about this game - even though my experiences is based only on this demo.

Cheers!

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

ThunderAliG wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am
miqrojamie wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:46 pm

And that person that was making that beta revival was me. It was cancelled because of a few reasons, I explain those at the end of the post. I actually still have one of the latest roms on my google drive. I might release it publicly at one point. I am also making a sm64 rom hack called New Mario 64. It will have some hidden references to my old beta revival.

1: I was accused of stealing someone's content, so I just cancelled it because I didn't want to deal with a lot of drama
2: Dudaw is still working on his, even though he hasn't posted a video since 2013
Hey Thunder. Glad you made it here :D

I'd love it if you could work on it again some day in private, and maybe only release it to a few people on some sort of custom non-disclosure agreement, so that it doesn't get leaked to the individuals that ruined your day...
My Blog