What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

adippm82

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Got myself a Tapewave Zodiac 2, of course my PC refuses to recognise it, does anyone have experience of these, how to get software on it, I have managed to Bluetooth some stuff over, but apart from a Tetris game it plays nothing, the software is in the games folder, but I guess the files are not in the right place for the machine to run them.

Also got my PC Engine LT back from Gear For Games on ebay, where he has brilliantly managed to fix it!

It was just playing sound for a few seconds before cutting out, was gutted it had stopped working.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:29 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Urgh, more for the PS2 probably cack pile
paddington is way too easy but it was marked as a kids game which i read the phrase kids game as even kids will find it easy other than that i enjoyed the blast games theyy had glitches but not as bad as modern aaa glitches.
This guy are sick

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 am

Still in the process of getting my PS4 up and running, but picked up The Division from Game for £7 preowned.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 am

Starfox 64 3D, seemed like a must own.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Shante 1.2 Genie Hero. Really enjoyed Pirate's Curse and have been meaning to pick this up for ages, so since it's on sale it would be rude not to.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm

pratty wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 am
Is it any good?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 am

Negative Creep wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 pm
Shante 1.2 Genie Hero. Really enjoyed Pirate's Curse and have been meaning to pick this up for ages, so since it's on sale it would be rude not to.
It's gorgeous and plays great, just wish there was more

seanm99

Post by seanm99 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:10 pm

adippm82 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm
Got myself a Tapewave Zodiac 2, of course my PC refuses to recognise it, does anyone have experience of these, how to get software on it, I have managed to Bluetooth some stuff over, but apart from a Tetris game it plays nothing, the software is in the games folder, but I guess the files are not in the right place for the machine to run them.
I had a Zodiac from launch until it finally gave up on me a couple of years ago. Fantastic device for its time, but never seemed to get the software support it needed to really take off.

The best way to transfer stuff over is via SD card. It works fine with standard SD cards up to 2GB, but does not support SDHC.
If you format a card on the zodiac it will create 2 folders - Launcher and Programs. Generally the executable files go in the Launcher folder, but some software has its own quirks - there should be a readme with instructions if this is the case.

Software sources:
http://www.openhandhelds.org/
http://www.palmpowerups.com/downloads.php?cat_id=2 - get the FAT32 driver and you can use 4GB SD cards (not SDHC cards - there were a few companies who made 4GB standard SD cards, but they don't work well with all devices as they technically break the SD spec.) I used to have a couple that worked fine on the Zodiac for movies, music and ebooks, but often crashed with games.

Get LJP for emulators - fairly good job for NES, Gameboy and Master System. SNES is also reasonable and Mega Drive is fine as long as you turn sound off.

For Videos - TCPMP. Seems to run better than Coreplayer

For music- the built in MP3 player uses the Zodiac's sound hardware and sounds a lot better than other alternatives, but its not great for managing a large music library

For ebooks - the built in Palmreader is fine but you will need to convert books to the correct format.

For Games, freeware ports of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Duke-Nukem, SCUMM for Lucasarts games all work well but you need the original game files. Arvale was a fairly decent RPG but I don't know if its still available for Palm.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
pratty wrote:
Is it any good?
It's not bad at all, controls are a bit of a halfway house though.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Treguard wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm
shiftytigger wrote:
pratty wrote:
Is it any good?
It's not bad at all, controls are a bit of a halfway house though.
I agree, but I suck something bad at it though!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Picked up Kirby Triple Deluxe.
shiftytigger wrote:
pratty wrote:
Is it any good?
I've only done the tutorial level so far, seems ok though. I imagine it's largely the same as the original with a new coat of paint.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 pm

heck of a game too

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 pm

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

seanm99 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:10 pm
adippm82 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm
I had a Zodiac from launch until it finally gave up on me a couple of years ago. Fantastic device for its time, but never seemed to get the software support it needed to really take off.

The best way to transfer stuff over is via SD card. It works fine with standard SD cards up to 2GB, but does not support SDHC.
If you format a card on the zodiac it will create 2 folders - Launcher and Programs. Generally the executable files go in the Launcher folder, but some software has its own quirks - there should be a readme with instructions if this is the case.

Software sources:
http://www.openhandhelds.org/
http://www.palmpowerups.com/downloads.php?cat_id=2 - get the FAT32 driver and you can use 4GB SD cards (not SDHC cards - there were a few companies who made 4GB standard SD cards, but they don't work well with all devices as they technically break the SD spec.) I used to have a couple that worked fine on the Zodiac for movies, music and ebooks, but often crashed with games.

Get LJP for emulators - fairly good job for NES, Gameboy and Master System. SNES is also reasonable and Mega Drive is fine as long as you turn sound off.

For Videos - TCPMP. Seems to run better than Coreplayer

For music- the built in MP3 player uses the Zodiac's sound hardware and sounds a lot better than other alternatives, but its not great for managing a large music library

For ebooks - the built in Palmreader is fine but you will need to convert books to the correct format.

For Games, freeware ports of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Duke-Nukem, SCUMM for Lucasarts games all work well but you need the original game files. Arvale was a fairly decent RPG but I don't know if its still available for Palm.
Thanks very much for this, I now know where files should be going to work, I have just finished installing Another World, a very good Spectrum emulator, although it does crash the machine on exit, and the 128K sound does not work.
I got the proper retail Duke Nukem, Tony Hawks and Z Pak Adventure with the machine, all of which are pretty good, I have also got that multi machine emulator running, but apart from NES games that it does pretty well, Megadrive games are silent, Snes games are so jerky they are pretty much unplayable and the sounds are off, I am going to have a go at Master System games later.

ZDoom runs, but I have no WAD files, and have not really bothered with music or films, as it seems to be a bit of a pain to get them working, when I have far more modern devices that can do those things much better.

Very nice little hand held for the collection though, even if the battery drains pretty fast, out of the other machines I have like it, the Gizmondo does emulation the best still though.

Thanks again for the info :)

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:42 am

Hopefully gonna buy Gran Turismo 2 for the PSOne soon! I've heard it was a really good game and set the mark for racing simulators at the time. :)
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog