Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Is this seriously what you need for the chat setup?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm

You don't strictly need the headset or any of the cabling if you're happy with just speaking directly into your phone, but by all accounts the app itself is a disaster.

I can't help but think that Nintendo have missed an open goal here. Given that the Switch already has Bluetooth and a USB port, there seems no good reason why it can't just route the voice chat through the device itself, and if it's going through a digital interface you could then have 7.1 channel virtual surround mixing supported through a headset too. The GPD Win does all that with considerably less processing power under the hood (although you bloody well need it given how awful the built in mic and speakers are) and seemingly without impacting frame rates.

That said, I'd think that the dream of go-anywhere online-multiplayer is still a way off and that's largely because the latency when tethering off a mobile phone is shockingly bad. From my experience of Overwatch on the GPD Win, you can add at least 100ms to whatever you get on a good Wifi connection in your home under ideal circumstances and it can balloon much higher if its having to deal with packet loss or a weak signal. I wouldn't expect Splatoon 2 to be any better, although ad hoc local multiplayer - for which you obviously won't need the phone app - may prove to be something of a winner.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 am

I caved. Ordered one from Amazon.With a voucher my friend got me it came in at £250.

Have to wait for late August to receive it though.

Right now I'm not feeling good about myself for buying it, but I just couldn't help myself. It's my wife's fault. She always insists that I buy things because I'm always so frugal.

I'm hoping when it comes and I'm holding it in my hands and I'm playing Zelda on it that my guilty emotions will fade away, like tears in the rain.............

You better not censored me over like you did with the WiiU Nintendo. Else I'm coming on a plane to Kyoto and kicking some Nintendo arse damnit!

(Can't wait). :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:59 am

They will mate. Just enjoy the first party releases like I do!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Least you'll have something to play on the plane over there. :lol:

But nah, you'll enjoy it for sure. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

Another steady trickle of games announced today, including a compilation of the two Resident Evil Revelations games. The third-parties are definitely beginning to dip their toes...

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 am

Finally some grown up games, and at least I've not played those before.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

2 Senran Kagura games coming to Switch. One being a boob playing sim and the other being a pinball game (Guess what the ball will be bouncing off. :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch

https://gematsu.com/2017/08/peach-ball- ... ced-switch
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 am
Finally some grown up games, and at least I've not played those before.
I've played the first one on 3DS and Wii U, and it's excellent. I bought the second one on Steam in a sale but I haven't played it yet, I hear it's not great.

If you haven't played the first, it's worth the price of admission alone, just treat the second one as a bonus.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm

The only downside is the second game is a digital code on the physical version, which will be a pain if buying used down the line but at least they discount the diginal versions of the games on other systems to loose change so often.

Wonder if this'll open the floodgates to other RE ports since the XBONE/PS4 got ports of RE4, 5, and 6 not long ago....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 am

I enjoyed Revaltions on the Wii U . It's not a system seller or anything but deffinately a worthy addition to anyone's Switch collection.
Gigifusc wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 am
I'm hoping when it comes and I'm holding it in my hands and I'm playing Zelda on it that my guilty emotions will fade away, like tears in the rain.............
Zelda won't disappoint, take your time with it and explore and it could last you weeks and weeks.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 am

I quite fancied getting the new iteration of 'Namco Museum' on the Switch until I realised it's digital only. I'm not dropping £30 for a digital title. Don't get me wrong, I've bought hundreds of digital only releases in the past, but never over £10 - and I usually only go for sale items (the PSN store is particuarly good).

It's just the presentation of Rolling Thunder 2 looks SO good...

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm sure Game had a pre-order for a physical release of that game?

Maybe it was just a card, with the download code.

EDIT----

Here you go sir

http://www.game.co.uk/en/namco-museum-1891384

Price isn't much better though! :lol:

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:05 am

pratty wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 am
I enjoyed Revaltions on the Wii U . It's not a system seller or anything but deffinately a worthy addition to anyone's Switch collection.
Gigifusc wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 am
Zelda won't disappoint, take your time with it and explore and it could last you weeks and weeks.
Mate, I take forever to play games. I've just come off the back of Skyward Sword which took me from January to June! BotW will last me at least as long I reckon. :)

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 pm

It's probably going to be active for 2 years then no one will really care much about it, sure it sold well now but I don't see it surpassing 25 million units for some reason.
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog