Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 am

I guess PS2 IS retro, it's just that I would rather read about earlier stuff. Whether more people agree or disagree with me will determine whether it features in the mag. We can't lose sight of the fact that part of the reason why the mag sold so well initially is because there were lots of people interested in 8/16 bit computers and consoles; has that demographic now changed to support machines that came later, or would featuring more recent consoles alienate the core supporters of the mag? Or perhaps continuing to concentrate on older machines could alienate new readers as well as making long standing readers eventually losing interest.

This is obviously where the editor comes in, and I as I said before, sales figures will always be the benchmark by which decisions are made.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:22 am

The problem is that the 8bit/16bit era has been done to death in Retro Gamer and I don't know about you but I have had my fill of Sonic and Dizzy. PS2 is retro to a-lot of people including myself and is now considered pretty ancient. I would love to see more playstation 2, original xbox and gamecube games featured as I loved that era the most.

That being said, I still want 8 and 16 bit articles but just keep in mind that 95% of all the awesome games have been covered already in making ofs and ultimate guides, etc etc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 am

They've barely scratched the surface of 8 bit. There's masses of scope to cover lesser known systems, companies and games, not to mention all the arcade stuff that somehow gets bypassed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 am

Do you really want coverage of mediocre crap because all the greats have been covered already?
Maybe you're right but it'll be interesting to see what they can come up with. I guess even average & awful games can have great stories behind them....
The story of ET was entertaining after all.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 am

Honestly there are loads of big stories from the 8, and even more so, 16-bit years that haven't been covered. I am always stunned at some of the stuff that hasn't been covered when I start looking.

seekingvirtue

Post by seekingvirtue » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 am

They day they trade 8 bit/ 16 bit for disc systems, is the day I'm done reading the magazine. A feature hear or there, tolerable, but I read it to read about the oldie olde stuff

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am

seekingvirtue wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 am
They day they trade 8 bit/ 16 bit for disc systems, is the day I'm done reading the magazine. A feature hear or there, tolerable, but I read it to read about the oldie olde stuff
Retro Gamer will always have 8 and 16-bit stuff in it so you don't have to worry about it ever not being in the magazine.
It will also continue to feature a decent amount of 32-bit stuff plus in there as well, though. Basically Retro Gamer is for everyone that loves retro and retro now covers a large area of gaming :)

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am

And the day they stop covering playstation 2 is the day I stop reading too. Its not just about you, and its not just about me. Its about covering systems that are 10 years old and older.
edit - Sorry Darren, didn't see you sneak in there.....

BTW - Is Atari 2600 and the Vic 20 officially 4 bit?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 am
Do you really want coverage of mediocre crap because all the greats have been covered already?
Yes. Its representative of much of the market at the time and holds both nostalgic and interest value to a lot of readers.

Look how popular articles like Mastertronic have been. Mostly churned out garbage, but interesting garbage once you get the whole story.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:53 pm
Ryan GH wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 am
Yes. Its representative of much of the market at the time and holds both nostalgic and interest value to a lot of readers.

Look how popular articles like Mastertronic have been. Mostly churned out garbage, but interesting garbage once you get the whole story.

Hear hear. I want to hear about the bedroom coders , the small companies with big ideas that didnt quite make it and all of the many interesting anecdotes that go with it. Well done for making the decision to have virtually unknown stuff in the mag.

I dont particularly want to hear about the development team who came up with the idea for Jet Set Radio or Turok as its more about corporations than induvidual stories, but i accept there are people out there who do.

And as for arcade games, absolutely they dont feature enough in the mag. Thinking about it, it's probably the one thing we all agree on that all 70s/80s/90s video games are cool and worth featuring in the mag. And STILL no feature on the best arcade in Europe?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 am

Can someone tell the tech dep at Future that their emails looks like something the cat dragged in, ate, and pushed out again?
It's a mess of overlapping fields and text that is impossible to read or even guess at.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm
And as for arcade games, absolutely they dont feature enough in the mag. Thinking about it, it's probably the one thing we all agree on that all 70s/80s/90s video games are cool and worth featuring in the mag. And STILL no feature on the best arcade in Europe?
I've been in contact with Andy about this. I was hoping to get up there in March, but numerous things have gotten in the way. We'll get something sorted.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Thats the thing that surprises me - there are people who come on here each month and say the mag doesn't cover enough things they are familiar with, so therefore its not a good issue for them. For me its the opposite - I love reading about things that are completely new to me, particularly love the technical stuff that gets covered regardless of what machine it is.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 pm

antsbull wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:43 pm
Thats the thing that surprises me - there are people who come on here each month and say the mag doesn't cover enough things they are familiar with, so therefore its not a good issue for them. For me its the opposite - I love reading about things that are completely new to me, particularly love the technical stuff that gets covered regardless of what machine it is.
Same. I love reading about new stuff. As a kid, I only had NES and GameBoy. No other console, no PC, no micro. We didn't have the money, and the NES was inherited used from relatives. Reading RetroGamer is a treasure trove.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Received my replacement copy today, and fortunately there are no issues with the print quality.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube