BBC star salaries

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

BBC star salaries

Post by dste » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am

So the BBC have been forced to reveal pay brackets for it's highest star earners that are receiving over £150,000 a year (under £150,000 does not have to be revealed at present).

The top ten earners are :

1. Chris Evans £2.2m - £2.25m
2. Gary Lineker £1.75m - £1.8m
3. Graham Norton £850,0000 - £899,999
4. Jeremy Vine £700,000 - £749,999
5. John Humphrys £600,000 - £649,999
6. Huw Edwards £550,000 - £599,999
7. Steve Wright £500,000 - £549,999
= 8. Claudia Winkleman £450,000 - £499,999
= 8. Matt Baker £450,000 - £499,999
= 9. Nicky Campbell £400,000 - £449,999
= 9. Andrew Marr £400,000 - £449,999
= 9. Stephen Nolan £400,000 - £449,999
= 9. Alan Shearer £400,000 - £449,999
=9. Alex Jones £400,000 - £449,000
10. Fiona Bruce £350,000 - £399,999

This though does not include payments to staff from production companies or BBC Worldwide, which generates commercial revenues. It therefore discounts people such as Benedict Cumberbatch for Sherlock, Tom Hiddlestone for The Night Manager and Sir David Attenborough. Also for example, Graham Norton's salary is for Radio 2, Eurovision and a singing programme and not for The Graham Norton show which is made by his production company.

It also shows a gender gap for payment with just three women being in the top ten and for programmes such as Newsnight which have both a male and female presenters the pay is significantly different. However, there are programmes where the two presenters earn the same amount but one presenter also presents other programmes so earns more overall.

I seriously cannot believe though that Alan Shearer earns so much for being so goddam dull and having the most pointless observatons about matches on MOTD. Gary Linekar's salary is ridiculous as well.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RetroBob

Re: BBC star salaries

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:12 am

I don't understand how it's possible to properly compare someone like Chris Evans or Gary Linekar to a.n.other presenter regardless of their gender. Like it or not, they (WE!) are paying for their name and 'following' (urgh) as well as their experience.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am

Nicky Campbell is being paid at least 10 times more than his abilities warrant, and that's being generous.

He started out being a bit naff on local radio here and hasn't really improved, he's just a typical local radio jock.

That's the biggest shocker for me. At least the rest seem to be proper celebrities, he's something of a no-mark.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm

It may seem excessive but if the BBC don't pay the market rate then people should expect the top talent to get the going rate elsewhere. So for example someone like Jemery Clarkson may have left Top Gear much earlier to the show's detriment if the BBC didn't make it worth his while to stay.

The reactionary pay gap complaints aren't worth worrying about in my opinion, the gender pay gap 'problem' is so misunderstood. The women don't earn as much as Gary Linaker because they're women and he's a man, it's because he's Gary Linaker and they're not, and that's ok.
Last edited by pratty on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Add that all up and it comes to less than ITV pay Ant & Dec.

Or compare Peter Capaldi's salary with the £19 MILLION paid to the stars of The Big Bang Theory

Bashing the BBC is part of Rupert Murdoch's agenda. The BBC continues to make incredible programmes.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm

In fairness, whilst Lineker may get paid £1.8 million gross, by the time he's paid his taxes he's only taking home £1.8 million.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:02 pm

merman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm
Add that all up and it comes to less than ITV pay Ant & Dec.

Or compare Peter Capaldi's salary with the £19 MILLION paid to the stars of The Big Bang Theory

Bashing the BBC is part of Rupert Murdoch's agenda. The BBC continues to make incredible programmes.
Capaldi won't just be working for a flat fee. He'll also get a percentage of the sales to secondary markets, and with the show bringing in tens of millions of pounds and having a relatively small core cast, that'll probably amount to several million a year for him alone. However, we'll never find out exactly how much, as that'll all be through BBC Worldwide and subject to business confidentiality.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm

The difference with the BBC is that we're directly paying for their salaries. Even if you never watch a BBC channel, you still have to pay the licence fee or risk being sent to jail.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm
The difference with the BBC is that we're directly paying for their salaries. Even if you never watch a BBC channel, you still have to pay the licence fee or risk being sent to jail.
You might might have to, but I don't. :lol:

Seriously, there's certainly room for debate about the licence fee. There are alternatives, such as an optional subscription model like you'd pay for Sky or Netflix, funding it from general taxation as the ABC does in Australia and the CBC in Canada, allowing advertising as most commercial TV does generally, or only making shows that can turn a profit in the global market which is basically how the film industry works. Personally, I'd favour general taxation as that'll be in line with everyone's ability to pay without restricting anyone's ability to watch, and allowing artistic concerns to play a part alongside purely commercial ones when it comes to programme production.

That said, whatever you do, don't underestimate the BBC's value to British culture as its global influence goes way beyond the billion pounds or so brought in through its commercial activities. For instance, a recent survey put it right at the top of the most trustworthy news sources in the US, and one of a scant handful that crosses the political divide in that regard. As a Brit abroad, you're riding on the coattails of the respectability that brings.

Well, at least until you start smashing up the local football stadiums. :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Is the BBC salary debacle really proof of misogyny and the patriarchy? No, not really. Before now, no one at the BBC knew what each other was getting in wages. They all negotiated a contract which they themselves thought was fair and agreed to sign up to.

Everyone has a value. The person themselves has a value of what they think they're worth, their agents do too, as does the BBC itself. I doubt very much when Gary Lineker walked into the room to negotiate his contract, that a BBC representative went up to him and said "is your genitalia male or female? If it's male, here's a fat load of cash and congratulations!"

I think the more interesting thing about this is how women and men value themselves and how this affects their pay. Is Chris Evans worth his 2.2m salary? I'd say a big no, but he did as does the BBC. Gary Lineker fronts a programme about a sport that has a tonne of money involved in it and so they need a big sporting name to present it.

It has been mooted that men often push for a pay increase far more than women too.

Unfortunately, the net result of all this is that the TV licence payer is now going to face an increased fee for their troubles as the stars of the BBC use Chris Evans salary as a marker and argue their wages upwards. These wage increases need to funded somehow and I think we all know who will take the hit and it won't be Claudia Winklemen or Gary Lineker.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 am

If you look beyond the popularist censored like Eastenders and Radio 1 the BBC does a lot of fantastic work. My flat has a really sketchy TV aerial so we watch very little live broadcast TV but we watch iplayer far more than Netflix.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 am

<Insert complaint about footballers salaries>

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:54 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 am
<Insert complaint about footballers salaries>
Blame the amount of money in the game which allows this not the footballers themselves. That's their going rate in an industry flush with punters/advertisers cash.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer