Games that hold nostalgia for you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Games that hold nostalgia for you

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Recently I played a sit down working Out Run 1 in the wild. I was temporary transported back to 80's hot sun could smell the sand no worries just in the zone so to speak.

I know this thread will probably die a death but I'd be interested in hearing your memory's or seeing some photos of your consoles at Christmas. What got you back into retro gaming
Games that hold good memories for me a few of many

Galaxy Invader Xmas day ignited my love for gaming and hooked me. I recently bought the orange galaxy invader 10000 working. The rich kid one and I always want one but where expensive on EBay. Still play this something about the twinkling star field and The splendours of space

Atari 2600 Christmas Day got cramped playing Space Invaders so much in the night whole family and friend played Combat.

For me a lot of Commodore 16 games as I could only afford budget games on the £6 a week for my paper round of 500 papers. Christmas Day opening Fingers Malone, Saboteur plus 4 version, Powerball and G man. Then I'd get games like Atari 2600 and C16 Terra Nova and Elite Classics 1 and 2 for Christmas on those long winter nights Still play the plus 4 on Christmas Eve and Day. The games still hold so much nostalgia of simpler more innocent times

Starblade on Paignton Pier such an amazing game no emulation can do justice to the feel of sitting in the cab with all the speakers blazing in your ears

Cadillac & Dinosuars as some hot girl asked me to get off with her, then stuck her town down my throat. Came back with face covered in lipstick and everybody in the arcade telling me I was mad that I rather kiss a girl than 1 cc the game.

Shinobi Arcade game and every Shinobi game after that except Cyber Shinobi as that's terrible

Killer Instinct due to the immense compitition and I met some of my oldest friends through that game.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ncf1

Re: Games that hold nostalgia for you

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 am

That's the "extra bonus" you get playing retro games, the element of nostalgia, and same games hold more nostalgic reverie for us than others.

Outrun definitely is one that I have played a lot recently as I was never good at it in the arcades, now can get to the end on most goes, but that one is high up on the list, it was on of the very finest arcade games and was such an experience playing it, so even playing it MAME brings back memories and is a blast to play.

Bubble Bobble is another, I played that so much on the Amiga, and C64, used to play it at a mates house during lunchtimes in my final year of high school, and often never returned to school because we had so much fun with it, so that one I have very fond memories of when I play.

Wonderboy is a big one, it was the first arcade game I'd seen as a kid that looked like a cartoon, it just blew me away and that game just never tires on me.

Galaga, Pacman, Pleides - at the squash courts they would have a sit-down arcade machine and it was tremendously exciting in '80, '81, '82 when these fascinating new games would appear, each playing so differently to the last and I was introduced to the classics with my weekly trek down to the courts each week.

And Donkey Kong, Ive been addicted to this game now for the last couple of years suddenly and have finally discovered its absolute brilliance, it has gone from a game I really didn't like much at all to one of my all-time favourites. I have The King Of Kong to thank largely for this though, it fired me up good and proper. :)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 am

In loose chronological order I would think I'd start with SNES- I'd had a CPC 464, experienced a few other Micros and had a Master System but they were mostly frustrating. Favourites were by Nintendo and Konami such as Zelda, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Probotector, Axelay, Cybernator, Castlevania, Batman Returns. Street Fighter 2, SF Alpha 2. A personal favourite was Desert Fighter - similar to Desert Strike but I thought much better but much less popular.

Then there was the revelation of the original PlayStation. For me especially Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden and Wipeout looked fantastic. Bright and colourful and just so different to I had become use to. Then Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 2, Ace Combat series, Virtua Rally, Driver. I first played Doom on PS, too. Very little I'd want to replay now, though.

I was into Sega and Namco's Arcade output at the time. My friends and I use to spend college lunch breaks playing Tekken 3, Sega Rally, Daytona, Time Crisis 1 & 2 - various other light-gun games and some others I can only very vaguely recall.

I had an N64 but I'm not really nostalgic for it, except maybe Goldeneye, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and Lylat Wars, and I missed the PS2 first time around as I moved onto PCs.

I think my favourite period is the ~1999, post-3dfx PC era so System Shock 2, Thief 2, Freespace 2, Imperium Galactica 2, Civ 2, Quake 2, C&C Tiberium Sun & Firestorm, Soldier of Fortune, Homeworld & Cataclysm, Mechwarrior 4 & expansions and Mercenaries, first gen Counter Strike, GTA Vice City, Alien Vs Predator, Serious Sam, Unreal Tornament 2004, Deus Ex. I had Half Life, all the expansions and Gunman Chrinicles but I never really saw what all the fuss was TBH. I also first started going on-line, got into various modding communities and found eBay which was a revelation for cheap SNES games - my first transaction was Siper Probotector paid for with a cheque in the post!
I was disappointed by a fair few sequels for these games though - Deus Ex 2, Thief 3 and Doom 3 really didn't do it for me.

My brother had an Xbox and I can remember a few games. I really liked the first Halo, Project Gotham 2, GTA San Andreas and a few others but I kinda lost the passion at this point. I don't really have any nostalgia for anything after that.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:14 am

Not so much 80s arcade games, as I never stopped playing them!

It's more the games I haven't seen for years I used to love on home computers and consoles. Castle Wolfenstein is the first that immediately comes to mind, as I totally adored that.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 am

oh yes Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, that was another, a few mates would come back to my place to play that at lunchtime on the Apple II, there would be two at the keyboard, as the game had more keys than most other games, and we would be in awe at the speech samples. That's still a great game to play.. and the guy who wrote it, Silas Warner, fascinating character!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:38 pm

I can still remember the first time i played DoubleDragon, Kung Fu Master and Golden Axe. If i want a nostalgic slab rush ill put one on mame and have an hour, not necessarily playing to get to the end, just playing and remembering days gone by.

Im glad i was born in the era i was born, i experienced the basic years where a picture being drawn while the spectrum loaded was a high point, the elevating scale that gaming has gone through the last 30 to 40 years is amazing.

From arcades springing up in abandoned shops full of space invaders to experiencing a sit down outrun or space harrier or finishing double dragon with 1 10p will live with me forever.

Probably the biggest leap in terms of graphical capabilities was going from the spectrum 48k+ to the sega mega drive, i was enthralled with sonic1.

These days unfortunately i find my patience dwindling, i skip many many cutscenes and if im not enjoying a game within the first 20mins then itll go in my "one day" pile, which is a shame because the only game i had for my mega drive was sonic for like 6 months and id play it for hours, same with the spectrum, load and play for hours.

life was so much simpler then.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 pm

good post RetroAerosmith, I agree that I am glad I was born at the exact time to experience the birth of home computers/gaming and see how things have changed and evolved over the decades and it has been staggering really, and we have got to experience it all.

For me the biggest change was experiencing 8-bit to 16-bit technology, ie the C64 to Amiga, that had me enthralled. Can you imagine what a kid experiences now with a computer? I cant imagine it.

Oh yes Double Dragon is another that holds a lot of nostalgic value for me, it was "the" arcade game that kids went nuts over at school at the time, and I'd ride into town after school to play it - hoping there would be no-one else at the machine when I got there. How different things are now...

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:35 pm

SINISTAR ..... the ONLY arcade game that actually caused me pain, no not seeing my ship get blown up again by that bastard ..... it actually made my thumb sore!

RAMBO 2 on the spectrum, sitting in my bed playing it first time christmas morning, also sneaking other games to play sneakily without parents knowing :oops:

EA HOCKEY and the start of many hours of simming games ..... did i say hours ..... i meant YEARS!

RIDGE RACER arcade ..... finished the third track THEN the time trial right after it!

GALAXY FORCE 2 arcade, the spinny version ..... never took my eyes off the screen and NEVER noticed anything else playing it!

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:24 am

soo many, too many to name but some highlights

Arcade
Star Wars arcade sit down cab - loved the game everywhere but especially on family Holidays to Shanklin in the Isle of Wight and playing this there is one of my happiest memories (a bizarre collection of other vague memories there playing Gorf, Crossbow, Spy Hunter among others)

Galaxians - remember playing this when it first came out, usually with my dad, grandad,uncle whoever helping with movement while i did the firing

Double Dragon, Operation Wolf, Outrun, Space Harrier, AfterBurner, Cyberball 2097, Gauntlet, APB all played a lot when going down coast with mates while at school, which was most weekends

Spectrum
Among so many more - Horace games, Renegade, Commando, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Exolon, Spellbound, Match Day, Emelyn Hughes all memories of childhood

C64
Emelyn Hughes, Microprose Soccer, BeachHead, Thing on a SPring round my mates

Atari ST
Defender of the Crown, Kick Off series, Speedball 2 - round a mates and at home

SNES
Super Mario World and Link to the Past - didn't have one but played on my brothers
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm

I think we are at the stage now in games where there is almost nowhere else to go. I never thought the VR experience would be as good as ive experienced, even impressing non gamers in my family to be spooked to call it almost witchcraft. Doom in VR ? I dont think Resi Evil could have been anymore real in VR, being almost too scary at times.

Ive had a go at dragons lair in the arcades plus the Hologram oddity called time traveler which i remember fondly. To think games like these can be stored on a micro card and played on portable devices is amazing...to me...to kids born in the past 10 years i can hear their eyes roll.

I recall the days where if you liked computers or gaming you were considered quite the nerd, now it is as big as the film industry itself...

We would have scoffed a few years ago if it was thought that digital media would be the future...i think its closer now than ever.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 am

Absolutely loads, but to pick a few:

Super Mario Land - not the first game I owned, but one of the earliest. Even then it looked basic, but played brilliantly.

F-Zero - remember seeing it on a display tv in Dixons and being utterly blown away. Used to play it at my friend's house all the time until I got my own copy. Still plays brilliantly today

Doom 1 and 2 - endless hours playing the campaign, WADs and multiplayer

Ride Racer Revolution - when I got my PS I only had the demo disc for a week or so, and this was my favourite. Loved the announcer as well - "great start, now go for the lead!" In honesty this is one best left in the past though since it hasn't aged well.

Resident Evil - first game I ever played that scared me (being too young to notice how bad the voice acting was)

Total Annihilation - another game I played to death, many happy memories of trying to finish a multiplayer game with my dad telling me to get off the internet as someone might need to call him

Half Life 2 - first game I played with realistic physics. I used to mess around with the crane just to watch the object move

derbyjockey71

Post by derbyjockey71 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am

omega race and the scott adams adventures as they were the first games I played on the vic20 when I got it..

demon

Post by demon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 am

Nostalgia drives my life :D Let's gloss over the possible psychiatric analysis, and just say that to me it started in the mid-nineties when I entered university, and I began to feel attracted again to many things I liked in my childhood. Besides computer games, it was also the 80s music, movies, japanese anime, board games, Lego...

I blame our band's drummist who one day came to rehearsals with a CD that contained three folders: one with 80s japanese anime soundtracks (this might make no sense to most of you, but it's a truly major favourite nostalgia thing in Italy!), one with Dungeons & Dragons rules and artwork, and one with MAME and a bunch of games. We were all hooked, and we were all doomed :lol:

Back to the games specifically, naturally those who have most nostalgic power over me are those of the systems I owned back in the day (C=64, Amiga, DOS, old Windows) or played at the arcade (MAME, Lasergames) or at my friend's places (Spectrum, Atari VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision, NES/SNES, Sega MS/Genesis, MSX...). Here are some among the most effective in terms of pure nostalgia:

C=64*: Boulderdash, Henry's House, Bruce Lee, Stringer, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Thunderbirds, Crystals of Zong, Donald Duck's Playground, Fort Apocalypse

Spectrum*: Atic Atac, Skool Daze, Bubbler, Trapdoor, Finders Keepers, Jet Set Willy

Amiga: Defender of the Crown, Shufflepuck Café, Secret of Monkey Island, Speedball II, Kick Off II

DOS: Commander Keen IV, Flashback, Prince of Persia

MAME: Burgertime, Donkey Kong, Xain'd Sleena

Lasergames: Dragon's Lair

Atari: Jungle Hunt

Intellivision: MLB Baseball

*generally the most powerful systems for nostalgia, since they are those who I spent more times with during childhood

muRte

Post by muRte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 am

That's the reason for starting my youtube channel, back in 2014! The nostalgia!
During these past 3 years I've been bringing those games that really left a huge mark in my youth. It all started around '84 and with Deathchase on the Spectrum 48K and, since then, this passion grew exponentially! Then, I guess that Batman the Movie was the game that really grabbed me on the 128K and the one where I spent most of my time with, finishing it over and over in a loop! By that time I was also completely addicted to arcade coin-op games, that made me migrate to the 16-bit era :) On the Amiga was Lemmings and Turrican 2 that made me buy the system in the first place soon falling in love for point and click graphic adventures, like Iny Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle, this time around on the PC, on my mighty IBM PS/1 486 DX2 66MHz that I restored a couple years back. Also had a mega drive 2 where I used to play Sonic and Golden Axe, and, a few years later, the PlayStation with Tomb Raider, Metal gear Solid and Castlevania Symphony of the Night. By that time, around '97, my attention got back entirely to the PC. It was a year I cannot forget with so many amazing titles and when I grabbed a Diamond Monster 3DFX card to properly play Tomb Raider 2, Carmageddon, Star Wars Dark Forces 2, Quake 2, X-Wing vs Tie-Figher, the very first GTA, etc, etc. Never owned Nintendo systems back in the 80s and 90s. Played on the NES, SNES and N64 over at friend's houses, and have a bit of nostalgia for Castlevania, Alien 3 and Mario 64, respectively ;)
Thanks for this topic!
Cheers!

Lord_Jenkins

Post by Lord_Jenkins » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 am

Benefactor - now it would be just another puzzle platformer - but I remember that then it was amazing! When I watch some let's plays on youtube now - I still recognize all the tracks and sounds. Something about it, man. Too good.

Lost Vikings - vikings abducted by aliens. What can be better?

Chaos Engine - the artstyle! Character selection! Bunch of badasses killing monsters, in COOP!

Lotus series - my favourite racing games back in the day.