no I don't have time but would if I could
7%
no(other reasons)
4%

Total votes: 28

stayAwhile

do you ever go to the cinema?

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 am

personally I think cinemas are the best way to watch films speicaly pre multiplex place like the crosby plaza that has a huge screen and a smaller room with a home cinema feel, this was the cinema where I watched jurrasic park the lost world, son of the mask and a laurel and hardy night. other cinemas that hold great memories are the liverpool showcase where i saw the star wars triolagy and godzilla and theres the switch island odeon where i saw the lord of the rings, 3 of the harry potter films spiderman,hulk,mama mia,phantom of the opera,night at the museum and many more.

for me the cinema holds a great expriance dvds blu ray and streaming will never emulate, i have fond memories of waiting for a screen to open and looking at the posters or coming out of a screen hoping for a sequel.
This guy are sick

lupogtiboy

Re: do you ever go to the cinema?

Post by lupogtiboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm

There is something about watching a film on a proper screen, plus being able to have the sound loud without neighbours banging on the walls is a bonus too. Its an atmosphere that's hard to capture at home, even with the right gear. The only downside is the cost of going, plus snacks is like re-mortgaging a house! £4 for a bag of revels? F*** off!

I don't specifically go to see all films in 3d either, but some do warrant a showing that way. Films like Star Wars, Tron etc.. all work well in 3d, but some don't need that.

One thing I do wish cinemas would do is re-release classic cult films every now and then on the big screen, I mean like The Terminator, Predator, Robocop, stuff like that, I reckon that would do well. I watched Akira on the big screen a while ago, and even in the Japanese dub, it was wonderful. I also saw The Nightmare Before Christmas, that was truly amazing and sold out!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:05 pm

If its a film I want to see I go to the cinema to see it, truth be said theres not a lot of films I actually want to see
Usually when its cheaper to see it (AMC its a fiver before 12)

Balls to the 3D versions and the adverts before each film

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:21 pm

lupogtiboy wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm
There is something about watching a film on a proper screen, plus being able to have the sound loud without neighbours banging on the walls is a bonus too. Its an atmosphere that's hard to capture at home, even with the right gear. The only downside is the cost of going, plus snacks is like re-mortgaging a house! £4 for a bag of revels? F*** off!

I don't specifically go to see all films in 3d either, but some do warrant a showing that way. Films like Star Wars, Tron etc.. all work well in 3d, but some don't need that.

One thing I do wish cinemas would do is re-release classic cult films every now and then on the big screen, I mean like The Terminator, Predator, Robocop, stuff like that, I reckon that would do well. I watched Akira on the big screen a while ago, and even in the Japanese dub, it was wonderful. I also saw The Nightmare Before Christmas, that was truly amazing and sold out!
yes I wish films would be rerun too mabie do a worldwide re run of the older Spider-Man films when a new one is due or a rerun of lotr just because its awesome.

my only greivence with cinemas is idiots who use twitter or text or calls ect during a movie i prefer people to put there
phones off before entering the screen tbh i mean speicaly if your out with friends or family pay them atention pre movie your phone isn't of importance.
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Think the problem with reshowing old films is a lot of people would of seen it countless times already

Im not bothered abut watching Terminator 2 in 3D

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm
Think the problem with reshowing old films is a lot of people would of seen it countless times already

Im not bothered abut watching Terminator 2 in 3D
Its the whole experience of seeing a favourite film on the big screen though. Like I said, not all films need 3d releases, it doesn't add to a lot of films, its just a fad, but there are certain, shall we say genres of films that do work very well in 3d.
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm

As long as it isnt Shawn of the dead

Thats on almost every week

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm
As long as it isnt Shawn of the dead

Thats on almost every week
that said i missed out on its cinema run but i do own the dvd and watch it on tv a few times a year
This guy are sick

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah, I go a couple of times a year. Seeing a new release at the cinema is still a special occasion - even in this day and age of 4K, Dolby Atmos on home cinema amplifiers and online streaming.

I'm sort of lucky in living in London - as there's a wide variety of cinemas to frequent. Seeing a film on a really big screen, is something else. That does seem rare nowadays, as cinema chains tend to have quite boutique little screening rooms. That being said, in London we are blessed with the BFI IMAX(it is expensive - but worth every penny), the Sky Screen at the O2 and Odeon Leicester Square Screen 1. The Empire Leicester Square Screen 1 got halved into an Impact Screen and a faux digital IMAX - I haven't been into either them since then. There's also the art cinemas - some of which are quite grotty and rundown. The Prince Charles Cinema does show a wide variety of films. I keep think about getting some sort of reward card for the cinema chains.

I tend avoid getting any food nowadays in cinemas - firstly, it's so expensive and also I tend to thinking of eating afterwards, and also not the junk food that cinemas sell you. I don't mind having perhaps having a beer when watching a film, or occasionally an ice-cream - but that's it.

Yeah, seeing old films on a cinema screen is quite a novel experience. I have did see The Long Good Friday 2K restoration - I really wish that was shown on a bigger screening room though - it was still good. I don't think there's much of a market for it nowadays.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 pm

At least once a week, often twice as I have a Cineworld Unlimited card. I enjoy films a lot more in the cinema with a bug bucket of popcorn.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

I go a few times a year, sometimes I can't avoid it as my mate sends me a message telling me I owe him twelve quid every now and again. :lol:
Splink!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Only occasionally, usually just for certain blockbusters. Chances are you'll only get one shot to watch a movie at the cinema, as they don't usually do return screenings like they used to. Some films need the Ig screen to do them justice ; Kong simply won't be the same on the small screen.

Also I prefer watching them on my own, as I don't want to be distracted.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:11 am

I love the cinema experience and have lots of fond memories of the old cinema in Llanelli. I dont go as often as I would like and the age gap and taste is our family is all over the shop, so finding a film to suit all is a tough ask. My youngest is a superhero fanboy though, so any films of this ilk get a pass :D

While the new local cinema is very good, it does seem..........soulless, sterile compared to the trips to the flicks in the past. Maybe we are just spoiled by clean, comfy seats, digital rather than film stock, buckets of popcorn you can fall into.... Also with home cinema having a huge leap in quality over the last 15 or so years, films being released on home formats weeks after being available on the big screen, the cinema experience just isn't what it used to be. :(
I remember going to watch T2 around 5 times in the cinema! And I still had a B/W TV in my room with a dial in order to change the channel!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 am

I only go to the cinema very rarely, for 'event' movies. A new Star Wars must be seen in the cinema for example, preferably on release day.

Once or twice a year for as long as I can remember. Big TVs and fast home releases make it sort of pointless for most movies. I'll sometimes go 3D at the cinema as I can't do that at home, but then I feel like I also need to see the proper 2D version.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.