SNES Mini Announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: SNES Mini Announced

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 am

I would have paid £100+ if they had re-manufactured the SNES chipset (as closely replicated as possible to the original, but perhaps shrunk) and made this run games 100% authentically on real hardware. It feels otherwise that we're just buying a small handful of roms loaded on the another android/pi box in a cute shell, using adequate emulation thats been available to all of us for free for over a decade.

I'm aware that this is probably not viable though! Think i'd rather save the £70 and put it towards a SNES flashcart and run it off the trusty old hardware.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 am

OK, so this is my third post on this topic... :x

I simply don't understand why people are getting so upset about the limited availability. If you were really interested in this product (which I am) then you could have signed up to plenty of 'notifications' on various sites, or kept your eye on social media. I had an email from GAME saying that it was up for pre-order... a couple of hours later I checked ShopTo (my preferred online site) to see if they were taking pre-orders... they were... I pre-ordered it, no money down. Had a confirmation email saying my pre-order was guaranteed. Job done.

I also don't understand why people are moaning about the product itself. If you don't like it, simply forget it exists and move on. Personally I think it looks like another wonderful item with carefully chosen titles and the added bonus of the first official release of StarFox 2! I have all of these games on either original cart, virtual console or emulation, but I still want this as I love the HD presentation, the overall design of the machine and the fact I can get hold of another wii compatible SNES controller!

In terms of Nintendo's behaviour regarding limited stock... they are mass producing the Switch, another iteration of the 3DS family (the new 2DS XL) and several first party titles for both consoles. How much resource do you think they have? This product is a niche item aimed at collectors... it's amazing that they are even bothering to create such a product. Maybe it's because they want to give their hardcore fans something back? I agree that a lot of free marketing is going to come out of this... but let's stop assuming that they're simply out to do one over on us all! :D

Sorry for the rant! :oops:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:10 am

batman877 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 am

I simply don't understand why people are getting so upset about the limited availability. If you were really interested in this product (which I am) then you could have signed up to plenty of 'notifications' on various sites, or kept your eye on social media. I had an email from GAME saying that it was up for pre-order... a couple of hours later I checked ShopTo (my preferred online site) to see if they were taking pre-orders... they were... I pre-ordered it, no money down. Had a confirmation email saying my pre-order was guaranteed. Job done.

I also don't understand why people are moaning about the product itself. If you don't like it, simply forget it exists and move on. Personally I think it looks like another wonderful item with carefully chosen titles and the added bonus of the first official release of StarFox 2! I have all of these games on either original cart, virtual console or emulation, but I still want this as I love the HD presentation, the overall design of the machine and the fact I can get hold of another wii compatible SNES controller!

In terms of Nintendo's behaviour regarding limited stock... they are mass producing the Switch, another iteration of the 3DS family (the new 2DS XL) and several first party titles for both consoles. How much resource do you think they have? This product is a niche item aimed at collectors... it's amazing that they are even bothering to create such a product. Maybe it's because they want to give their hardcore fans something back? I agree that a lot of free marketing is going to come out of this... but let's stop assuming that they're simply out to do one over on us all! :D

I was at work when the pre-orders went live. By the time I'd seen the notification and tried to order it, everywhere had sold out.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 am
I would have paid £100+ if they had re-manufactured the SNES chipset (as closely replicated as possible to the original, but perhaps shrunk) and made this run games 100% authentically on real hardware. It feels otherwise that we're just buying a small handful of roms loaded on the another android/pi box in a cute shell, using adequate emulation thats been available to all of us for free for over a decade.

I'm aware that this is probably not viable though! Think i'd rather save the £70 and put it towards a SNES flashcart and run it off the trusty old hardware.
Problem is, some of the games on the SNES mini dont work on flashcarts,

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 am

The Super FX games, sure - so just a small handful (which may be eventually supported on a flashcart of the future, or through a firmware update). Given how many games this MIni-SNES doesn't have, and the amount of games that CAN be played on the SD2SNES cart, I'd still pick the flash carts (plus you can still emulate the super fx games on a bajillion other systems).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 am
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 am

The Super FX games, sure - so just a small handful (which may be eventually supported on a flashcart of the future, or through a firmware update). Given how many games this MIni-SNES doesn't have, and the amount of games that CAN be played on the SD2SNES cart, I'd still pick the flash carts (plus you can still emulate the super fx games on a bajillion other systems).
Still not Star fox and Yoshis island

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am

batman877 wrote:

I have to agree with Batman on all his points here. While I do use a lot of emulation and yes the mini SNES will also use emulation, I (like many others on here) like to collect. The SNES is my favourite console even though I dont have one at this time. The mini version will keep me entertained and will be well worth the final asking price from my point of view.
Quick question - is it confirmed that the controllers will be compatible with the Wii ala the Mini NES?

Also I still have 2 consoles on pre-order. I only need the one and would be happy to help out anyone else on here trying to get one. Not sure how it would work, postage, paying etc. especially as I havent met anyone on here , but Just trying to help.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 am

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

Still not Star fox and Yoshis island
Star Fox and Yoshis Island are very easily emulated on anything more powerful than a PSP. It would be nice for the SD2SNES cart to play those games natively, but they just don't....and neither does the mini-snes anyway, as thats just emulation.

Starfox is relatively cheap to buy, and Yoshis Island isn't mental money, plus theres always the GBA version if one must need a physical cartridge. Star Fox (and its unreleased sequel) have dated very poorly though, so only tend to be played out of curiosity. Same with all the Super FX games, other than Yoshis Island which doesn't try to use it for pure polygon environments, so has aged much better.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:10 am

Its the "Special chips"

And I dont mean those ones that you get in those fancy restaurants that are just Smart price ones covered in salt

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 am

TheDude18 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am
batman877 wrote:

I have to agree with Batman on all his points here. While I do use a lot of emulation and yes the mini SNES will also use emulation, I (like many others on here) like to collect. The SNES is my favourite console even though I dont have one at this time. The mini version will keep me entertained and will be well worth the final asking price from my point of view.
Quick question - is it confirmed that the controllers will be compatible with the Wii ala the Mini NES?

Also I still have 2 consoles on pre-order. I only need the one and would be happy to help out anyone else on here trying to get one. Not sure how it would work, postage, paying etc. especially as I havent met anyone on here , but Just trying to help.
Might have to take you up on this. I THINK I have one ordered at Grainger Games now, but their sites been very flaky.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:10 am
Its the "Special chips"

And I dont mean those ones that you get in those fancy restaurants that are just Smart price ones covered in salt
The Super FX chip and the SA1 chip are the two chips that SD2SNES doesn't yet support, and the main games from those are ones we already mentioned and Mario RPG and some Kirby games. The 30 or so games not yet supported are mainly obscure japanese titles, or rubbish (but can be emulated still if one is still curious).

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 am

The emulation argument is silly. Do people really think that this product was designed in mind for those who have been utilising free emulation for years? Come off it.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am
batman877 wrote:

The problem is not everyone can afford one straight away, and if you don't have the money at the time the scalpers will ensure you won't be able to get one for a long time yet.