The Star Wars thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Re: The Star Wars thread

Post by dste » Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned that it's the 40th anniversary of the release of the first film today.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 27, 2017 9:13 am

dste wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 pm
Surprised no one has mentioned that it's the 40th anniversary of the release of the first film today.
Time for another re-release - this time around in 3D! :lol:

I was just watching some YouTube videos on the old laserdisc versions of the original trilogy - quite interesting. Also, The Phantom Menace was the only one to get a laserdisc release, and that was only in Japan - rubbish film, but the sound(uncompressed compared to DVD) must have been superb.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:13 am
dste wrote:

I was just watching some YouTube videos on the old laserdisc versions of the original trilogy - quite interesting. Also, The Phantom Menace was the only one to get a laserdisc release, and that was only in Japan - rubbish film, but the sound(uncompressed compared to DVD) must have been superb.
I have a copy and can confirm it blows the DVD out of the water when it comes to the soundtrack. The master audio of the bluray does have it beat though as you would expect.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 am

silvergunner wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am
Katzkatz wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:13 am
dste wrote:

I have a copy and can confirm it blows the DVD out of the water when it comes to the soundtrack. The master audio of the bluray does have it beat though as you would expect.

WOW! :D That sounds good. Plus, it had 6.1 surround sound.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:39 am

So with just three weeks left of principal shooting Ron Howard is now directing the Han Solo movie.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 am

dste wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:39 am
So with just three weeks left of principal shooting Ron Howard is now directing the Han Solo movie.
Ron Howard? Weird. So late for a change but editing is a big component of any movie songs can put his stamp on it

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:29 am

sscott wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 am
Ron Howard? Weird. So late for a change but editing is a big component of any movie songs can put his stamp on it
Safe pair of hands,

If you haven't read about the firing of the previous directors you can here: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star ... ord-let-go
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Boba Fett film? Or one about the bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe? That always struck me as being quite an interesting tale to tell.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 pm

A boba feet film was rumoured, but nothing is confirmed. Judging by the sound of it the spin-offs have numerous issues. Also I felt rogue one was really weak.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Rogue One seems to split opinion; for me its the vest SW film since ROTJ. In fact I'd go so far as to say its the second best film after ESB. Neither side is 'good' or 'bad' , they are simply human beings trying to do what they think is right. I've been let down by the 'reimagining' of the original three movies, the sheer awfulness of the prequels and Force Awakens which is a nostalgia trip more than a movie (perhaps even more so with the passing of Carrie).

Rogue One is a breath of fresh air; you know it's Star Wars, but you also know that there's no certain outcome for most of the characters; its dark, its got(gallows) humour, it feels like a Star Wars film - far more so than any SW since ROTJ. It proves there's life beyond Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 pm
Rogue One seems to split opinion; for me its the vest SW film since ROTJ. In fact I'd go so far as to say its the second best film after ESB. Neither side is 'good' or 'bad' , they are simply human beings trying to do what they think is right. I've been let down by the 'reimagining' of the original three movies, the sheer awfulness of the prequels and Force Awakens which is a nostalgia trip more than a movie (perhaps even more so with the passing of Carrie).

Rogue One is a breath of fresh air; you know it's Star Wars, but you also know that there's no certain outcome for most of the characters; its dark, its got(gallows) humour, it feels like a Star Wars film - far more so than any SW since ROTJ. It proves there's life beyond Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.
I really liked Rogue One - as it did something different in the Star Wars universe - which I don't think that The Force Awakens did. That being said, it appears to have got a mixed reception on this forum.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm

The Last Jedi trailer looked pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 pm

dste wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm
The Last Jedi trailer looked pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
It did. Many new characters not show including Benico Del Toro but maybe they give the plot away. There are definitely some misleads in the trailer though.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

The Han Solo movie has a title now. Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Guess we'll have to get used to that "A Star Wars Story" title... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 pm

38 days till The Last Jedi is out, not like i'm counting or anything :lol:
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)