Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RichL

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 169

Post by RichL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:40 am

Next month date is wrong shall I take it that 13th July is next issue (as it currently says 13th June) or a different date?

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 am

Boy is that front page ugly. :P I love the retro look, but there was a time in the 90s that didn't hold itself well. ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 am

RichL wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:40 am
Next month date is wrong shall I take it that 13th July is next issue (as it currently says 13th June) or a different date?
Yes it's an error. We got two of the letters wrong!

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:48 am

Game boy adaptor article and v fighter was fun.
Beyond that didn't really enjoy the issue unfortunately. Been a few issues like that recently. But can't please everyone so I'm thankful your still published :-)

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 am
RichL wrote:
Ha! Haven't even got to the letters yet. Any consolation, Edge printed my letter under someone else's name :D :D

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:03 pm

RichL wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 am
RichL wrote:
Ha! Haven't even got to the letters yet. Any consolation, Edge printed my letter under someone else's name :D :D
I'd assume the two letters that were wrong were N and E instead of L and Y rather than letters on the letters page :lol:

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:41 am

Oh god I'm an idiot I just didn't get that :oops:

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am

Having now read it its my least favourite book issue for a while.
Good bits are Scramble, Text Adventures (Hobbit and Pawn minority issues aside), Kwah and Dizzy (hate the game, but interesting article.)
The rest is just not to my taste really.. So for me a bit meh.
Also I've never heard of Bally Sente, or a single one of the games mentioned they wrote... are you just making up software and software houses now? If not they are so obscure as to be ridiculous.
On the plus side I had no issues reading the mag this month.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm

ianpmarks wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am
Having now read it its my least favourite book issue for a while.
Good bits are Scramble, Text Adventures (Hobbit and Pawn minority issues aside), Kwah and Dizzy (hate the game, but interesting article.)
The rest is just not to my taste really.. So for me a bit meh.
Also I've never heard of Bally Sente, or a single one of the games mentioned they wrote... are you just making up software and software houses now? If not they are so obscure as to be ridiculous.
On the plus side I had no issues reading the mag this month.
What a bizarre piece of feedback.
Just because you have not heard of them does not make them obscure.

Why not post a message saying how great it is to learn about something you haven't heard of, rather than try to turn it into a negative?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mechampyouchump

Post by mechampyouchump » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:51 pm

As a new subscriber (on month 4) I am really enjoying the magazine. My only piece of constructive feedback is that some of the larger articles can be quite difficult to read due to the "extra" bits thrown in across pages. I would quite like to just read the article across 2/3 pages and then have all the extra stuff as an added section at the end.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm

What a bizarre response to my piece of feedback.
Why would I post a message saying how great it was to learn about something I hadn't heard of when it is not what I think. Stop trying to tell me what to write. It's a feedback thread. I've left feedback. You don't agree with my feedback, but that ok because its my feedback not yours. Do you see how a feesback thread works. I ask because every time I post feedback which isn't 100% positive about the magazine there are a group of people who jump in and feel the need to defend the magazine.

I really don't get it. I have never heard of the games - and reading the article its not surprising as at least half of them weren't released. That surely makes them fairly obscure. Anyway I don't care, it's a feeback thread. You stick to writing your feedback and stop telling me what to write in mine. You're not the forum thought police.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Only 4 games by Bally Sente were never released and 3 of them were developed under their former guise of Videa. Even then one of them did get a limited test market release (Gridlee) and the two Atari 2600 games never came out because the publisher went bust. Shrike Avenger was also given a test market but proved too expensive to produce and was unreliable. That doesn't even represent 1/10 of their library, let alone 1/2.

You might not have heard of Bally Sente but I am betting you have heard of Bally Midway (their parent company) and the people who worked there.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy reading the article because it's one of my favourites that I have written. It's incredibly rare you get to profile an arcade company.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am

If you read my posts I never said I didn't enjoy it, just that I'd never heard of them or any of their games. I actually quite enjoyed the article - I have heard of Ed Rotberg etc. - It was just a comment about how obscure they were.

It was a minor comment, but one that somebody felt the need to defend the magazine, by telling me It was a ridiculous comment and telling me how I should think and comment. I forgot you are not allowed free speech on this forum anymore. Silly me.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 am

ianpmarks wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am
I forgot you are not allowed free speech on this forum anymore. Silly me.
That's clearly not the case.
You're not allowed to be rascist on the forum as the AUP states, but you're clearly allowed to say if you don't like elements of the magazine. We can't improve things if we never allow negative feedback.
People are clearly going to disagree with you if they don't agree with your comments, which is what has happened here. Somehow though that has turned into you not being allowed to say what you think, which simply isn't the case. Also you're always going to get people defending something they like, have you ever been on a Nintendo forum?
Ultimately, of course you can say what you like, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you. And yes, it was a minor comment.

Also no one said your comment was ridiculous, just bizarre.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 am

ianpmarks wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am
The whole point of journalism is to inform readers of things they don't know. A quick google confirms the company's existence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sente_Technologies