Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

Re: Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by dste » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:51 pm
I used to love watching this with my kids when it first started up but I'm bored to tears of it now. The sonic screwdriver is such a get out for solving virtually every problem in the episodes that I've seen that I'm amazed it doesn't get its own show.
Funnily enough the Sonic Screwdriver was destroyed early on in this weeks episode.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue May 16, 2017 11:40 pm

dste wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:51 pm
I used to love watching this with my kids when it first started up but I'm bored to tears of it now. The sonic screwdriver is such a get out for solving virtually every problem in the episodes that I've seen that I'm amazed it doesn't get its own show.
Funnily enough the Sonic Screwdriver was destroyed early on in this weeks episode.
i think that was to get ready for a new one or a revamped prop
This guy are sick

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 am
New Doctor, new sonic screwdriver, another part of the New Who formula.
yes but david kept chris's (it was made bigger in series 3 but everything else stayed as did the tardis) and peter c kept matts untill series 9. that said though jon had 2 diffrent ones after pat only used his once tom had a few variations peter d had a variation on toms and paul got a redesign which had new features and river was ment to get the drs old one but it seems he made her a new one
This guy are sick

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 28, 2017 8:48 am

Finally got around to it and I'm up to date with this now.
The beeb's chronic diversity virtue signalling aside, it was actually going great guns until Moffat climbed up his own arse for the Extremis/Pyramid guff. Next week looks to be just as cringeworthy. So glad that Moffat is leaving. I'm going to miss Capaldi though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun May 28, 2017 1:09 pm

The Beans wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:48 am
Finally got around to it and I'm up to date with this now.
The beeb's chronic diversity virtue signalling aside, it was actually going great guns until Moffat climbed up his own arse for the Extremis/Pyramid guff. Next week looks to be just as cringeworthy. So glad that Moffat is leaving. I'm going to miss Capaldi though.
the main issue for me is major plot points are being reveled in traliers
This guy are sick

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm confused.

The monks spent ages running simulations of how to invade earth, then didn't actually invade. They just showed up when the most incompetent lab worker ever made a mistake. They could have shown up at any impending disaster. There didn't even need to be one since we have already established they can make a totally realistic simulation. Why not use that to convince the world leaders?

Oh, and who builds a lab that handles extremely hazardous material and programs the a/c to vent into the atmosphere every 30 minutes?

The plot was nonsense.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah, the three parter in my opinion was a bit pants and a massive let down overall.

Need to watch this weeks but wasn't that impressed by the trailer but have heard it's supposed to be good.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 pm

I think the rumour is that the new Doctor has been cast. It's under tight wraps though.

I wonder if it's Eddie Izzard? :lol: What do you guys think?

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Just watched Empress of Mars.

Was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. A simple story after the past three weeks.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:14 am

I'm not sure on my history here. Would there have been a black man among those English soldiers around the period they came from? It seemed anomalous considering their treatment of the alien.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 am

dste wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm
Just watched Empress of Mars.

Was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. A simple story after the past three weeks.
I've found most of the new episodes disappointing, so missed this one.
I've noticed that Mirandha Hart is currently 30-1 odds on being the new doctor.
I thought Chris Marshall already had the job?

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 am

Possibly the two main people that I really wouldn't want playing the Doctor.

There are rumours today that the next Doctor has been cast as Russell T Davies has said that he knows who it is. Hopefully they will be able to keep it under wraps until the regeneration.

Empress of Mars is on iPlayer as per usual. It's kind of a throw away episode, Ice Warriors and Victorian soldiers on Mars, but does have a Missy scene at the end.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:14 am
I'm not sure on my history here. Would there have been a black man among those English soldiers around the period they came from? It seemed anomalous considering their treatment of the alien.
BBC 'colour blind' casting. This episode was clearly the result of a brainstorming exercise by the writers, someone threw up 'British empire' and 'Ice Warriors' on the whiteboard and that was what came back. The setup was a bit weird, why exactly did they just happen to be in the Nasa control room? And what was all that with the misfiring Tardis, just to crowbar Missy in to the episode?

In terms of the new doctor, if they wanted to go totally left field, but with an actor who's a fan of the series and has appeared in it before, they could ask Mark Sheppard. More known for his work on US TV playing villains but I think he'd do well. Don't think he'd appeal to the tween 'cosplaying as David Tennant/Matt Smith; market though.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Actually, if there was one area where men were recruited in equal terms, it was the British Army. Yes, it did have Indian and black soldiers in the 19th century, and earlier than that even. So the presence of a black soldier in the story wasn't really out of place for the time in question.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...