If You Could Choose One System

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

If You Could Choose One System

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Another Unfair Question (tm) here but I like to torture myself with these sorts of things : Lets go back in time and its Christmas again and you're a kid/teen again and you can choose ONE system with the lot; fully expanded, a ton of games, your favourite joystick, disk drives, as much memory as it can take, best monitor you can get for the system - the lot, which system would it be? C64? Spectrum? Amiga? We'll keep it to any 8- or 16- bit system.

Now I have to think what I would choose..

RodimusPrime

Re: If You Could Choose One System

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Super nintendo without even having to think.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Atari Lynx without even having to think.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 pm

If I had to choose from one of my previous, then SNES, but given the choice of any I'd go Amiga - I saw the odd hint from SNES conversions but the originals were superior I'm told.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:50 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 pm
If I had to choose from one of my previous, then SNES, but given the choice of any I'd go Amiga - I saw the odd hint from SNES conversions but the originals were superior I'm told.
Depends on what games you are talking about.

Stuff like Lemmings, cannon fodder etc were far better on amiga. Plus of course things like Monkey island, beneath a steel sky, hired guns, and of course it had many many great isometric and overhead racing games, which is a genre I have a fondness for.

However what is given on one hand is taken away with the other. Arcade conversions were pitiful and any original Fighting games, platformers, shooters, beat em ups etc were painfully average at best.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:59 pm

I would probably go Amiga for the versatility and massive range of titles. I was a console gamer at that stage of history, MD, but if you're being spoilt with the works the Amiga gives you so much.

Any era...? If we're stretching beyond this era limit my one system would be PS1. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 pm

I think I would go Amiga after thinking about it for a while. I initially surprised myself by realising I'd probably want an Apple II with everything, all the expansions and printers and expensive bits seen in InCider magazine and whatnot but since firing up the emulator and playing a bit I realise those games have not dated well... so the Amiga it is. They had so much stuff for graphics and desktop publishing, so many music programs I never had a chance to play with, so I'd get an Amiga With The Lot.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 pm

My problem with this question is that I go through periods of a couple of weeks to three months where I focus solely on one system, think about nothing else and then think "If this was the only system I had, I'd still be the happiest man alive" and then I'll move on and start the process again with another system.

So, for me, this question is impossible to answer because the answer is always changing. For now, it's the Nintendo Gameboy but in a couple of weeks it'll probably be something else.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Probably the Amiga for me. As much as I love some of the console exclusives from the time, the presence of so many good strategy games swings this for me.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:14 am

Super Nintendo would just get the nod over the ZX Spectrum for me but only just
"Time fades even legend..."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 am

SNES, if it was one I never owned when young it would have to be the Mega Drive

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 am

I'll go for the Apple II. It's not a fantastic machine judged against ones you could get in the mid to late 80s, but for 1977 it was bleeding edge tech, and for a good four or five years from then would have held its own against the competition. The fact that it was still getting games like Wasteland and Prince of Persia a decade later, when a lot of other hardware had come and gone, speaks volumes for its longevity too. Mainly though, it'd mean a lot more to me to have a computer in the late 70s, when I didn't have one at all, than to merely get a better one some time during the 80s.

So far as consoles go, I'd go for the Atari VCS for similar reasons. It was great for its time, kept getting good games for much longer than its contemporaries; and besides, none of the 16-bit consoles (Intellivision excepted) arrived in the UK during my teenage years anyway, so I'd have to rule them out.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 am

Neo Geo.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am

Mega Drive.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am

Speccy for me. There's something about the palette and its colour clash that I find endearing, and if I ever ran out of games there's half a chance I could write new ones.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.