What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by necronom » Mon May 29, 2017 6:38 am

Hacksaw Ridge. A good reminder that war isn't nice. Graphic, and a religious theme is part of the story, but I liked it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 am

The Punisher - the original 1989 film with Dolph Lungren. Yep - finally got to re-watch it. Actually it stands up really well - the only slight niggle is that some of the production values are a little low, and it feels like a TV movie in places. One of the things that helps it is the fact that it isn't an origin story. Good cast as well(Louis Garrett Jnr. as Frank's former partner and Jerome Krabbé as the main villian)It's still the best film version of the character that I've seen.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 30, 2017 7:14 am

Passengers. A Science Fiction film where a ship is sent to a new planet to colonise it, but things don't go quite to plan on the way there. I liked it quite a bit. Some dodgy science here and there, but if you like SF without monsters and laser guns then you should like this one.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Snowdon. Before I watched it I'd unplug my PS3 camera from my PC when it wasn't being used and close the lid or aim the camera down when using the laptop (as I only really use it to watch films on my big TV). Now I've watched it I'm glad I do that!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 31, 2017 7:24 am

Con Air - from Jerry Bruckheimer's production company. Starring Nicholas Cage, John Malkovitch(doing his best bad guy acting), Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi, John Cusack and Colm Meaney. Cage plays a former army officer who is in the wrong place at the wrong time, and gets sent to prison. On his release, his plane is hijacked by fellow prisoners and he has to stop them. It's typical Bruckheimer stuff : violent, over the top, lots of action sequences, etc. It's okay - not from the top tier of his stuff(I really love The Rock for example) - but I did find this entertaining.

P. S. : Netflix uploaded the latest season of House of Cards two days ago. Guess what I'll be watching tonight?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed May 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Black Dynamite - a homage to the 70's Blacksplotation films full of deliberately dodgy effects, random editing, extreme afros, kung-fu treachery and plenty of jive suckers. It's actually really hard to make a film that's purposefully bad, since most of the time you just make a bad film, but this one succeeds and had me laughing throughout. Would definitely recommend.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm

F is for family series 2

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.

Was good, not as fun as the first but still worth a watch.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:22 am

House of Cards - season 5 - Francis Underwood is back! Really good storyline to this season. Going to be interesting to see what happens. I'm only a couple of episodes in. One downside - I think characters like Doug don't get enough screentime in this season.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:43 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm
F is for family series 2
Yeah! Me too!

Was good, took 2 night to watch it.

I'm slipping! The new Kimmy Schmidt only took a night and that's more episodes!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Watching series 1 of 'The Killing' on Netflix. Really enjoying this and happy to see their are 4 seasons of it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 am

Finally started watching Rick and Morty. Man that is a funny show!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:47 am

House of Cards - season 5 - more of this. Really strong storyline. Anyone else watching this? I've got the final set of episodes ready for tonight.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:15 am

The last lot of episodes from season 5 of House of Cards. :D It was very good. I'd say this season has been one of the strongest ones. Really interesting how this series has been adapted to the US style of government, and has managed to develop such intriguing storylines. I would highly recommend this season.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 am

T2 trainspotting x 2
excellent but more sober and "realer" update on those crazy kids ..... twenty years later :mrgreen:

stat trek beyond
pretty decent third in the series, but loads of logical and script problems let this down, but i was rewinding plenty of times to watch that funny or excellent bit again. worst of the three so far

the jetsons and wwe robo wrestlemania
complete tosh but like all the other ones rather excellent, funny script and some good old fashioned crunching
also alicia FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX NO NO NO NO NO i won't bloody do that :wink: