Highly rated games that you do not like.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PostieDoc

Highly rated games that you do not like.

Post by PostieDoc » Sun May 14, 2017 3:49 pm

As the title says, what well thought of games just don't do it for you?

I can not get in to Battlefield 1. One of the biggest problems for me is that I am colourblind. Most people have a problem with either red and blue or green and blue, I am affected by all three. This can cause problems with a lot of games but with BF1 trying to get the authentic, dreary beige aesthetic of WW1 right I really struggle to see who I am shooting at. The enemy can be right in front of me and by the time I realise, i am dead. I had the same problem with Verdun but that game doesn't qualify for this thread as it is a little naff anyway.

ZXSabreman

Re: Highly rated games that you do not like.

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun May 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm another one who can't get on with BF1 or Tatanfall 2 for that matter, maybe I've had enough of shooters but then I love Destiny. Uncharted 4 is another one I'm struggling with, not sure why it's just not grabbing me like the other three did.
"Time fades even legend..."

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 14, 2017 4:31 pm

I loved Titanfall 2. Felt really fresh.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun May 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Goldeneye
Fallout 3
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Resident Evil
Pretty much any game I have played made since 2010
Going Solo...................

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I would be here all day if I tried to make a definitive list. :lol:

Usually, just the phrase "critically acclaimed" is enough to let me know that an indie game is going to be pretentious garbage (and usually not even an actual "game" most of the time). I'm not even going to attempt a list, there's just so many. :D

Standout games for this gen that stir nothing but my apathy glands are Destiny, Overwatch, Battlefield 1 and Rocket League.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm

The Beans wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Usually, just the phrase "critically acclaimed" is enough to let me know that an indie game is going to be pretentious garbage (and usually not even an actual "game" most of the time). I'm not even going to attempt a list, there's just so many. :D

Standout games for this gen that stir nothing but my apathy glands are Destiny, Overwatch, Battlefield 1 and Rocket League.
Rocket league?? I hate you beans and everything you stand for!! Get back to toast and stay there!!!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 14, 2017 7:36 pm

sscott wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm
The Beans wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Rocket league?? I hate you beans and everything you stand for!! Get back to toast and stay there!!!
What can I say? Psyonix have produced a game I find to be even duller than Subbuteo but lots of other people like it. I tend to dislike online games that rely heavily on other players being teammates and where it all gets way too serious. Rocket League has that vibe on top of its inherent blandness. Same with Overwatch. Way I see it, if you see videogames as a real sport your life has taken a nerd-shaped nosedive and you need to get out more. It's not just the mediocrity of the games themselves. It's also the community of crapheads that games like these always attract as their main playerbase. Just not my cup of tea.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 pm

COD
Battlefield
Resident Evil
Fifa
Dark Souls
Persona

the list goes on
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 pm
Persona
Ah, yes indeed.

Persona 5. It's very highly rated. I've got a friend who has inflicted this game on me a few times now round at his place. I played it a bit. The more I see of it the less interested I become. Games that are overtly japanese don't gel with me these days. There was a few sticky moments during my playthrough of FFXV where the game was nearly uninstalled due to things getting a bit too japanesey.
I don't see a game like Persona 5 lasting long on my hard drive at all.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun May 14, 2017 8:49 pm

The Metal Gear series. I liked MGS on the PS1, and number 2 was ok. Other than that, I just find them pretentious, with ridiculous plots.

Gran Turismo also does nothing for me, and is increasingly overshadowed by its competitors. When Polyphony Digital actually manage to release the games, anyway...

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 15, 2017 12:58 am

The majority of modern mainstream-casual "AAA" games. Also almost everything involving little anime girls. Some indie games are a little too derivative too, but I rather support smaller devs or those who cater to a specific niche.

Dreamcast Gamer

Post by Dreamcast Gamer » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 am

Sonic Adventure 2. There's actually a lot of issues with it that people tend to overlook. It has some good aspects, but overall, it was a disappointment to me.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 am

Warcraft
The Sims
Metal Gear
Sonic
Zelda
Battlefield 1
Fallout

those were the ones that violently rushed out of my head but there are lots more. I just cant understand the popularity of a lot of them to be honest. But then again I guess its like music, a lot of it I hate, truly cannot fathom why people listen to it. But maybe its that way for most, who knows.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 am

I always wanted to like the Mass Effect games. I loved Bioware stuff on the original Xbox, like Jade Empire and Star Wars KOTOR. However, I just couldn't get on with Mass Effect.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

I'm another who doesn't like some of the overly Japanese stuff.
Even the games I do like are spoiled by unnecessary and badly written story elements (Metal Gear and Fire Emblem).

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X amidst the launch period hype and didn't like it. I found the story and characters to be, frankly, dire and the moment an overly sexualized tween girl made an appearance I just had to tun it off.
If a member of my family had seen me playing a game featuring that character I'd have been embarrassed.