Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:42 am

Sainsbury's are very good for non-larger beers. I like most of the Shepherd Neme and Badger Beers range; Whitstable Bay Organic and Blandford Flyer are two of my favourites. I'm always trying new beers though; the Sharps range has been nice so far, though the packaging is quite bland.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Sainsbury's are very good for non-larger beers. I like most of the Shepherd Neme and Badger Beers range; Whitstable Bay Organic and Blandford Flyer are two of my favourites. I'm always trying new beers though; the Sharps range has been nice so far, though the packaging is quite bland.
It's funny that beer from a particular area that is seen as average at best is liked so much in other parts of the country. Badger Beer from Hall & Woodhouse is quite local to me - the county is covered with Badger pubs and no one I know actually likes the stuff! (Personally, the only beer I buy from them is Poacher Choice)...
Shepherd Neame always tastes like dirt :? Don't know why! Maybe it's the yeast strain. Sharps - as long as you avoid DoomBoring, they do some good ales.

Just a quickie - many people seem to put an 'r' in Lager - even a brewery that I was linked to until last year published an investment document yesterday with Lager spelt Larger! :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24909
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 am

Asda seems of of improved the ale selection by adding more

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 01, 2017 1:17 pm

markopoloman wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:Sainsbury's are very good for non-larger beers. I like most of the Shepherd Neme and Badger Beers range; Whitstable Bay Organic and Blandford Flyer are two of my favourites. I'm always trying new beers though; the Sharps range has been nice so far, though the packaging is quite bland.
It's funny that beer from a particular area that is seen as average at best is liked so much in other parts of the country. Badger Beer from Hall & Woodhouse is quite local to me - the county is covered with Badger pubs and no one I know actually likes the stuff! (Personally, the only beer I buy from them is Poacher Choice)...
Shepherd Neame always tastes like dirt :? Don't know why! Maybe it's the yeast strain. Sharps - as long as you avoid DoomBoring, they do some good ales.

Just a quickie - many people seem to put an 'r' in Lager - even a brewery that I was linked to until last year published an investment document yesterday with Lager spelt Larger! :shock:
I like Blandford Flyer from Hall & Woodhouse. That has ginger in it. It's quite nice with spicy food.

Yeah, I do agree Shepherd Neame is ****! That's from a former resident of Kent as well. They have loads of pubs down there. Ironically, I know someone who is the head of a local CAMRA group and his favourite all-time beer is Masterbrew! :roll: A lot of their beers sort of do lose a lot of flavour very quickly. The only ones that I think are any good are Late Red and Early Bird. That's it. Everything else(including their lager selection in pubs) is pretty dire!

As for the second "r" in lager - there shouldn't be one. Otherwise it is larger(as in bigger) rather than lager(as in the drink). I think the word lager is German in origin and means something like "mountain store" - similar to the English word larder(although I get that has two "r"s). Didn't people watch "Wordy" in primary school? :lol:

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24909
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Ill just call it "P*ss"

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

DPrinny wrote:Ill just call it "P*ss"
Shepherd Neame P*ss. There. :lol:

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14993
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Badger beers are horrible. Worst I had was Tanglefoot and it was really unenjoyable.

Anybody had the Atlantic Rock from Sharps? The one with the light blue label. Only just noticed it but obviously it puts Doombar into my mind which is quite bland.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Megamixer wrote:Badger beers are horrible. Worst I had was Tanglefoot and it was really unenjoyable.

Anybody had the Atlantic Rock from Sharps? The one with the light blue label. Only just noticed it but obviously it puts Doombar into my mind which is quite bland.
The label emphasis the sweetenss so I've given it the dodge so far.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24909
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Image
In order of preference

Ok spray bottle of cleaning alcohol is not for drinking

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Elvis Juice is lovely!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5458
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Funnily enough, a guy asked me if I could bring him a bottle of Master Brew back from the UK on my next trip. I was tempted to suggest what a ruinous waste of my duty free allowance that would be, but then again most Australian beer is so awful that it'd seem like a marked improvement over what he usually drinks. There is a growing craft beer scene here, but when most pubs and clubs get all their beer from one of the country's two brewing conglomerates that control about 90% of the market, you've usually got to go a little off the beaten track to find it.

As for Badger, the one beer of theirs I'd rate is Golden Champion. At least it's good for something you can pick up for £1 a bottle in a supermarket special offer, although I'm not sure that I'd go out of my way to find a pub that served it. Make sure you don't get it mixed up with Golden Glory though as that tastes like someone poured an peach flavoured alcopop into a slop tray.

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am

Kingpin - the new lager from the Brewdog brewery. It's 4.7% ABV. It's very good - I think it's better than Brewdog's This is Lager.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24909
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Image

Huh huh "But comb"

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 13, 2017 9:55 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 4:53 pm
Image

Huh huh "But comb"
Isn't it pronounced 'But Cum' ??
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24909
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 14, 2017 4:28 am

At least it didnt taste of butt

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests