CoD is going back to it's WW2 roots

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

CoD is going back to it's WW2 roots

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Originally named, "CoD WW2":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Q_XYVescc

I have to say I kinda stopped caring about CoD after CoD 4, which was the last CoD I played. It always was a pretty narrow, linear and higly scripted shooter, but when it originally came out on the PC, it was a pretty fun and atmospheric war shooter (especially the Soviet missions). CoD 2 already was aimed more towards a console audience, but in the last few years it really became totally aimed at a younger/console audience (ironically, this happened to both, CoD and BF, once PC focused franchises). But I must say that even though we PC players have a lot more in-depth shooters like ArmA, Red Orchestra and Squad, most of these are MP-focused. A solid single-player campaign is a rare sight these days and CoD, while linear and too movie-like, still offers atleast some decent SP content. This is also why this new CoD does not seem all that shabby, if you know what to expect (namely, a short but bombastic campaign filled with explosions and drama). If it will be worth the full price, that's up to the individual to decide.

crusto

Re: CoD is going back to it's WW2 roots

Post by crusto » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

The PC version will be inferior to the console versions in every way.

All hail the console master race :wink:

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 pm

crusto wrote:The PC version will be inferior to the console versions in every way.

All hail the console master race :wink:
Normally, I avoid discussions about CoD because I only really enjoyed the first game in the series and stopped caring about it after CoD 4 (I tried Advanced Warfare as that put the franchise in a interesting new direction, although was a 100% console shooter) and my taste in general gravitated towards more realistic war shooters (which I always prefered, although I had fun with Soldier of Fortune too), but this time I made an exception as there seems to be some fuss about "going back to roots" which can mean many things. It does mean one thing though, and that is that it will be "more CoD" but in a WW2 setting. For those seeking just that, it should be enjoyable.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

War FPS games have gone full circle, give it 2-3 years and they will be back in the middle east

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 am

Another CoD reskin...great. If Advanced Warfare/Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare 3 Remaster are anything to go by, i'll give it a miss.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 01, 2017 7:18 am

my favorite COD was 2 and that was set in WWII so looking forward to seeing how it pans out. Stopped caring about the newer ones as they were getting increasingly over the top and silly.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 am

Cod 2 was my fave too, online and off.

Simple weapons and gameplay, no perks or dogs or helidrop debacles, no drones etc

If you wanted to run you had to put you rifle away and run with a pistol, well move a bit faster..wasnt really running.

I think there were 2 or 3 of each weapon you could choose from and which weapon you chose really did matter...
if i find myself playing a modern shooter now, the wealth of names,reticles,colours,armour piercing or exploding bullets is too bothersome.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Not a huge fan but CoD 4 is a classic.
Haven't played it in over 2 years and thought about getting the re-mastered version but last week just decided to have a go on the 360 (multi-player) and I haven't played anything else since.
I'm just as bad at it as ever but still a great game.
And for everyone that says it's full of swearing, American kids, I've never experienced that. Ever.
Will definitely (after the reviews) be getting the new one.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 01, 2017 6:06 pm

It sounds tempting, doesn't it? The franchise returns to good old WW2 and therefore the good old days of COD. Great days. Great multiplayer days.

Here's why I'm not interested:

When COD2 was added to Xbox One backwards compatibility I revisited the online multiplayer with a few mates and it was a nostalgic blast but at the same it was very obvious the multiplayer was laughably crap. The whole thing was just ... lightweight. It was great back in the day but things have moved on.

And one of the things that we moved on from was WW2 itself. For good reasons too. WW2 has been truly done to death. It's too soon for a return for me. The same guns! The same scenarios! The same old same old! Everybody's talking about COD2 but some of us also played COD3 and COD: World At War and a mighty truckload of other WW2 franchise malarkey. For frickin' years on end! I'm just not ready to handle an MP40 again. Maybe next gen.

And finally, the campaign is undoubtedly going to be a preachy sermon on the horrors of war because these are the times we live in. I binned the campaign of Battlefield 1 because it became (very early on) a constant nag about how terrible war is blah blah blah when all I wanted to do was slot some bosch with new and interesting bolt action rifles and run them over with my mad looking tank.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 pm

It will be crap.

Eat your nans pants

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue May 02, 2017 1:49 am

Well you're pretty much guaranteeed an action extravaganza with very high production values but gameplay that hasn't moved on in over 10 years. I'm not sure if I can handle more Nazis in concrete corridors; that was getting old in 1999 and I don't think anything has happened to change that.
Last edited by SJ_Sathanas on Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Well you're pretty much guaranteeed an action extravaganza with very high production values but gameplay that hasn't moved on in over 10 years. I'm not sure if I can handle more Nazis in concrete corridors; that was getting old in 1999 and I don't think anything dad happened to change that.

Ah, but this one has moved on from the original games. This one will be full of microtransactions and RNG loot crates. Hooray for progress!

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 am

refilling health is out apparently

I guess medpacks making a comeback
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm
War FPS games have gone full circle, give it 2-3 years and they will be back in the middle east
Actually there's still a lot of badly covered conflicts in war shooters like Korea, Nam, Israeli/Arab conflicts, Iran/Iraq war, African civil wars, Yugoslav wars, Chechen wars, etc. I once played Vietcong and it was an incredible game set in Nam, nothing like it has come out since despite all the "jungle rendering" tech improvements that should allow a great, realistic jungle setting. Not to mention even more historic conflicts like American civil war, French/English wars, Zulu wars, etc. Although some of these might be better for strategy games rather than shooters.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 pm

I still prefer Mars