5 games you want to see ported to the Switch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

5 games you want to see ported to the Switch

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 am

As per the title!

Name 5 games that you'd like to see ported to the Nintendo Switch. So long as it's already been released, it can be added to your list! Starting with my top 5...

1 - Smash Bros 4
2 - Project Diva: Future Tone
3 - Muramasa: The Demon Blade
4 - Pokken Tournament.
5 - Diablo 3

RodimusPrime

Re: 5 games you want to see ported to the Switch

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 am

1. Mario 3D world, not for me as completed it more than once already but its a shame for people who did not get a WiiU to miss out.

2. Starfox Zero - with standard controls.

3. Waverace 64 - updated

4. Capcom vs Tatsunoko

5. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 am

Good shout on Capcom v Tatsunoko, I played the hell out of that on Wii. Criminally under-rated.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 am

Rocket League. Duh!
Quake Champions at lower spec
FIFA for the masses (EA supporting Switch?)
A new wave race. Not a port but still...

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am

1. The Virtual Console- Cheating I know, but if we could get the library a lot faster this time round.... :lol:
2. Hyrule Warriors- This would be the 3rd version of the game, but I would love to see a BOTW expansion similar to the 3DS's extra Wind Waker one where you could play as the many characters from BOTW (Link, Zelda, Champions and their descendants, etc.) as well as locations from BOTW.
3. Pokken Tournament- With it being late on the Wii U and the arcade version getting new fighters, I feel it did not get to shine as much as it could have despite beating Street Fighter V's first month sales. :lol:
4. Kid Icarus Uprising- HD version of this or a sequel, I want more KI!
5. Bayonetta 2- I feel Nintendo need this as its pretty much theirs for life and the Switch userbase will certainly be bigger then the Wii U at the rate its going.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

Can I opt for "no more ports"? I want a healthy chunk of brand-new stuff to tempt me. The Wii-U is still under my telly and still gets played so I'm totally not interested in the same games again.

Obviously this is completely different for Switch owners who didn't have a Wii-U but ports seriously don't turn me on at all.

Maybe if we're just looking at it from a commercial viewpoint and hoping that porting stuff will help the Switch do well then fair enough but from a gamer's perspective (and the perspective of somebody who supported the Wii-U) I can't get excited. Reminds me of the "HD Remaster" madness that hit the 360/PS3.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am

Megamixer wrote:Can I opt for "no more ports"? I want a healthy chunk of brand-new stuff to tempt me. The Wii-U is still under my telly and still gets played so I'm totally not interested in the same games again.

Obviously this is completely different for Switch owners who didn't have a Wii-U but ports seriously don't turn me on at all.

Maybe if we're just looking at it from a commercial viewpoint and hoping that porting stuff will help the Switch do well then fair enough but from a gamer's perspective (and the perspective of somebody who supported the Wii-U) I can't get excited. Reminds me of the "HD Remaster" madness that hit the 360/PS3.
I totally understand that mentality, I'm definitely hungry for new IP's and new ideas.

By the same token, if it doesn't take a great deal of resources (not sure if it does or doesn't), I don't see the harm in porting...hell..every 1st party Wii-U title? Why not, right? So long as it's not detracting from their efforts to produce new IP.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 am

Rayne wrote:By the same token, if it doesn't take a great deal of resources (not sure if it does or doesn't), I don't see the harm in porting...hell..every 1st party Wii-U title? Why not, right? So long as it's not detracting from their efforts to produce new IP.
Like I said, if it ties into the mission of making the Switch a success and giving some Wii-U games a bit more exposure then fair enough. As long as ports and new stuff can exist together and strike a good balance then I wouldn't be opposed to them. Games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Yoshi's Woolly World could benefit from a second chance.

I would personally only get a Switch once there's some more brand-new stuff that appeals to me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 pm

They've done okay so far, I mean the only port so far they've released themselves so far is Mario Kart while the 3rd parties have only a few (Lego City, Rayman Legends, the Tomorrow Cooperation trilogy) not counting those dozen or so Neo Geo games of course. :lol: Don't forget the Switch rumors before January's presentation were all about zillions of ports coming.

If there's a first party gap like the one between BOTW and Arms/Splatoon, a port like Mario Kart seems not that harmful.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:16 pm

some of these are never gonna happen but I can dream right?
ff15
xcom 2
dark souls 3
gang beasts
smash 4

and some which are not yet released
formula fusion
ff7 remake
tekken 7
playerunknowns battlegrounds

most aren't all that nintendo-like and I can get on pc or will likely be coming to pc, or in the case of some already released I already own them. but it would be cool to do the lan thing with some of these games which is the thing that excites me the most about switches potential.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 am

I'll go for:

1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. XCOM 2
4. Civilization 6
5. GTA V

And don't anyone go saying that any of these are technically impossible, as they'll all run on the GPD Win after a fashion. Getting them up and running on the Switch, let alone optimized to its full potential, probably isn't going to be easy but I'd like to see some AAA developers try.

In terms of Nintendo's back catalog, I'd like to see:
1. Super Smash Bros (port from Wii U) - Like Mario Kart there's not much that needs updating, so a quick port of the Wii U game to the Switch would be a good move.
2. Skyward Sword (port from Wii) - An HD remake without the motion controls.
3. Metroid Prime Trilogy (port from Wii/GameCube) - Much the same.
4. Codename STEAM (port from 3DS) - A decent game that could use a big speed boost for the AI.
5. Advance Wars (port from GBA/DS) - Great handheld strategy games and it'd be nice to have something for mobile play that doesn't tax the battery too much.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 am

Any 5 Yakuza games :lol: Seriously though I'd really love to have another portable Yakuza game, the PSP ones rocked so just having one to take on the go with me (mainly for the side activities) would be bliss.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon May 01, 2017 5:39 am

I'm just hoping we get a decent FIFA instead of the hobbled hot mess that the Wii U version was. Not holding out much hope but you never know. There must be lots of people who would love to play a console quality FIFA on a handheld, you'd think, so it could be a system seller. Come on EA, don't mess it up!

The problem with some of the games suggested is that they're already out for a while now. The Wii U launched with some decent AAA ports like Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 but many people had already played them on other systems, so they sold poorly so third parties figured there was no market for their games and stopped making them, which made the console look poorly supported and we all know the result of that. It's a vicious cycle that Switch doesn't need.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 am

I would love to see Phantasy Star Online made available for the Switch - particularly if it had local play modes enabled as well as online play.
Where logic won't work, I will

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:I'll go for:

1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. XCOM 2
4. Civilization 6
5. GTA V

And don't anyone go saying that any of these are technically impossible, as they'll all run on the GPD Win after a fashion. Getting them up and running on the Switch, let alone optimized to its full potential, probably isn't going to be easy but I'd like to see some AAA developers try.
Porting Doom over to the Switch would be a similar challenge to porting Doom over to the SNES. It was possible (with extra cartridge chips) and it did happen, but what you got was a technically impressive but quite toned down port with missing textures, missing animations, missing/reworked levels, no multiplayer (was possible via add-on things like X-band but the lag was quite horrible), floaty/unresponsive controls, low resolution windowed screen and a framerate that was just about playlable. For a Switch port, they'd have to basically re-write most of their engine code to suit ARM architecture and then strip away at things like texture resolution, rendering resolution, number of enemies on screen, level design/complexity, shader complexity, framerate, etc. Eventually you'd get a working port but the question is if it would be worth all the extra work. It's good to remember that even the lowliest modern portable X86 CPU is still quite a bit faster than the ARM CPU inside the Switch, so there certainly would be a bottle-neck for more complex PC games that put more focus on CPU processing (strategy games being a prime example).

As for Quake Champions, that's not even confirmed for Scropio and PS4 Pro yet as they're focusing on the competitive "e-sports" scene and mouse and keyboard controls. I sort of doubt there's a huge audience on the Switch for that sort of thing, although I wouldn't mind seeing some experimentation in that direction (here's a good excuse for the next Metroid to feature a good MP mode, be it cooperative or competitive).