console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Poll ended at Fri May 05, 2017 3:37 am

3DO
4
14%
PLAYSTATION 1
25
86%
 
Total votes: 29

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 am

ATARI 2500 > MAGNAVOX
COLECOVISION > INTELLIVISION
MASTER SYSTEM > NES
COMMODORE C64GS > AMSTRAD GX4000
VECTREX > ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800 > ACTION MAX
SUPER NINTENDO > SEGA MEGADRIVE
NEO GEO > PC ENGINE
3DO > ATARI JAGUAR
PLAYSTATION 1 > SEGA SATURN
NINTENDO 64 > AMIGA CD32
PLAYSTATION 2 > SEGA DREAMCAST
GAMECUBE > ORIGINAL XBOX
XBOX 360 > PLAYSTATION 3
NINTENDO Wii > NINTENDO WiiU
PLAYSTATION 4 > XBOX ONE


Story so far for. So who is going into the Quarter finals.

Next up is 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

easily the PS1 for me.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 am

3DO for me

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by gman72 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 am

PS1 for me no contest at all.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 am

I know opinions are opinions and all that, but words fail me on this one to see two people actually vote for the 3DO. This is clearly a massive mismatch. The Playstation 1 is one of the best consoles of all time, and had great hardware, controllers, and most crucially a vast and varied selection of games. :shock:

The best 3DO games, from what I gather, are games like Return Fire, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Need for Speed, Wing Commander, Road Rash and maybe a few others. All of these would appear on the PS1 (and in some ways enhanced afaik), but even then, they'd never in a 1000 years be mentioned amongst the PS1 greats of gaming : Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7-9, the series of Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout, Ridge Racers etc etc.

So yea, PS1 by an absolute landslide. Its odd how some people just like failed consoles because they are niche and unpopular....

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by gman72 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I know opinions are opinions and all that, but words fail me on this one to see two people actually vote for the 3DO. This is clearly a massive mismatch. The Playstation 1 is one of the best consoles of all time, and had great hardware, controllers, and most crucially a vast and varied selection of games. :shock:

The best 3DO games, from what I gather, are games like Return Fire, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Need for Speed, Wing Commander, Road Rash and maybe a few others. All of these would appear on the PS1 (and in some ways enhanced afaik), but even then, they'd never in a 1000 years be mentioned amongst the PS1 greats of gaming : Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7-9, the series of Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout, Ridge Racers etc etc.

So yea, PS1 by an absolute landslide. Its odd how some people just like failed consoles because they are niche and unpopular....
Laird has always had a rampant and irrational dislike for PS1... it's something we have clashed over many entertaining times in the past but I've since come to terms with the fact he has a different opinion to me... GGrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:21 pm

gman72 wrote:
Laird has always had a rampant and irrational dislike for PS1... it's something we have clashed over many entertaining times in the past but I've since come to terms with the fact he has a different opinion to me... GGrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
You got to give him credit....he loves the underdog and is no "glory hunter"....but then again, this isn't football! Its about critically assessing consumer products! Allegiances to manufacturers is inevitable to an extent, but when it gets to the point when your judgement is so utterly clouded, its just bizarre!

I guess its just a light hearted opinion poll and not important, but it does make me curious to find out why people might prefer one thing to another, when that thing is so demonstrably inferior to the other! :shock:

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:22 pm

As has been said, 3do is a great machine, but the ps1 is better. It plays pretty much all the same games plus la massive catalogue of others. It has lots of different controllers (better than 3dos).... It's just better on every level. Sure 3do came first and was impressive for its day, but compared to ps1 it doesn't compete
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:26 pm

good grief! you won't see a bigger mismatch until the 8th of June.

PS1 destroys the woeful 3DO

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:This is clearly a massive mismatch. The Playstation 1 is one of the best consoles of all time, and had great hardware, controllers, and most crucially a vast and varied selection of games.
Sums up neatly why I just voted for 3DO.
The contest is so supremely stupid that voting with serious intent feels utterly ridiculous,
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 pm

The Beans wrote: Sums up neatly why I just voted for 3DO.
The contest is so supremely stupid that voting with serious intent feels utterly ridiculous,
Does seem a daft "match-up" although at least they're (sort of) in the same generation. Perhaps we need the Atari Lynx to go up against the Xbox 360, that sounds like a fair bout. Lynx all the way.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 pm

The Beans wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:This is clearly a massive mismatch. The Playstation 1 is one of the best consoles of all time, and had great hardware, controllers, and most crucially a vast and varied selection of games.
Sums up neatly why I just voted for 3DO.
The contest is so supremely stupid that voting with serious intent feels utterly ridiculous,

It would be if it was a standalone question, but its a Knockout competition and thats what tends to happen.

Its the nature of it, and its just a bit of fun.

Christ you really are a miserable old fart,

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:This is clearly a massive mismatch. The Playstation 1 is one of the best consoles of all time, and had great hardware, controllers, and most crucially a vast and varied selection of games.
Sums up neatly why I just voted for 3DO.
The contest is so supremely stupid that voting with serious intent feels utterly ridiculous,

It would be if it was a standalone question, but its a Knockout competition and thats what tends to happen.

Its the nature of it, and its just a bit of fun.

Christ you really are a miserable old fart,
Hey, not my fault your competition is inept! :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Its an age old well established concept.

KO competitions tend to throw up odd mismatches, its what makes them fun.

I am interested in how it goes, thats why I am here. It begs the question if you think its so inept then why are you even bothering.

I bet you are one of these wrinkly old serial moaners, the same type of person who moans all the way through a meal about how bad the food is yt eats every bite.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:17 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Its an age old well established concept.

KO competitions tend to throw up odd mismatches, its what makes them fun.

I am interested in how it goes, thats why I am here. It begs the question if you think its so inept then why are you even bothering.

I bet you are one of these wrinkly old serial moaners, the same type of person who moans all the way through a meal about how bad the food is yt eats every bite.
:lol:
You've spat your dummy out over your daft competition! :mrgreen:

Too funny. Obviously it's more than just a "bit of fun" for you, eh? :wink:

I wouldn't eat a crap meal all the way through though. I'm just not the type.

I've voted for the 3DO. Just accept it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: console battle first KO R5 3DO VS PLAYSTATION 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:25 pm

The Beans wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Its an age old well established concept.

KO competitions tend to throw up odd mismatches, its what makes them fun.

I am interested in how it goes, thats why I am here. It begs the question if you think its so inept then why are you even bothering.

I bet you are one of these wrinkly old serial moaners, the same type of person who moans all the way through a meal about how bad the food is yt eats every bite.
:lol:
You've spat your dummy out over your daft competition! :mrgreen:

Too funny. Obviously it's more than just a "bit of fun" for you, eh? :wink:

I wouldn't eat a crap meal all the way through though. I'm just not the type.
Not bothered at all mate. I realise its not for everyone. I would just expect whoever thinks its crap to just leave the rest of us to it.

No-ones spitting their dummy out at all. I am more than happy for you to join in, I just don;t know why you are moaning about the matchups when the randomness of it is part of the fun.

Its certainly not worth getting upset about just because you don;t like the way the draw went. But nevermind hopefully you can try to have some fun and join in.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest