Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Carrot007

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Carrot007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Carrot007 wrote:On the beer front I would recomend Guinness from the only other country currently allowed to brew it.

Nigerian Guinness. Strong and quite nice, stronger than foreign extra. Get it from your Tesco before the stupid consolodation removes it!
Forgive me for (possibly) sounding thick but what does this mean? Always wanted to try the Nigerian Guinness but haven't seen it around for literally years. Will have to check the nearest Tesco but despite there being a reasonably big ale/stout section, it's mostly all common-as-muck stuff. Usually end up buying nothing as I can't be arsed!
Nothing sinister. Just all the supermarkets are currently reducing the ammount of products they carry in the name of increasing profits and the Nigerian Guiness might be a casualty.

Has not been so far though, my local large tesco still stocks it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm

I had an amazing surprise a few weeks back whilst out for a meal at our local Indian. Asked for a guinness (as that is the fall back beer if no ale is available)... hey presto! Nigerian Guinness :shock:
The down side was me being the driver and only being able to drink one bottle.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm

In a pub in between some hills tryed some ales

Would buy again

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Was 60p from Homebargains, its not horrid

Edit- Actually scratch that, its starting to taste like pissy lager

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:07 pm

DPrinny wrote:Image

Was 60p from Homebargains, its not horrid

Edit- Actually scratch that, its starting to taste like pissy lager
Ahhh, "gluten free" - a lot of people suffer from gluten intolerance. The "gluten free" stuff is usually really expensive in supermarkets. My sister-in-law has it.

Elsewhere, I saw this about Tesco and its beers :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rises.html

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Good for them. The more craft beer the better - the less sh*te lager from Heineken the better.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Well, a suprise at my local Tesco - a vastly improved craft beer section :D

Tonight I'm drinking Guinness 1944 Antwerpen Stout 8%

It's better than the 6.3% porter they do! :mrgreen:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Today, I visited deepest sunny Bedfordshire, and I went into the local Tesco(as they're doing more craft beer nowadays) then, bought the following :-

It's a non-alcoholic beer from Innis and Gunn called Innis and None(get the pun? :lol: ). It has some ginseng and vitamin C added. It does resemble a pale ale - but there are a lot of hops in the flavour. Really good. If you can handle the hops. I'd put it just behind Brewdog's non-alcoholic beer(The Nanny State). Worth checking out if you want a no alcohol drink.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:07 pm

nanny state is 0.5% so not really alcohol free - will look to see if this is at my local Tesco as it sounds like something worth a try and maybe something to sell also! :D

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 pm

That looked promising until I saw the added ginseng and vitamin C. I get that its an alcohol-free drink and they're wanting to double down on the healthy aspect of that, but I can't imagine that they'd do much for the flavour.

I think you're safe enough with Nanny State though. It's not like you could ever get over the drink drive limit on it, and in most of the world 0.5% is considered alcohol free anyway.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:43 am

markopoloman wrote:nanny state is 0.5% so not really alcohol free - will look to see if this is at my local Tesco as it sounds like something worth a try and maybe something to sell also! :D
None of it is alcohol free. However IIRC 0.5% is the limit to be called alcohol free.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Carrot007 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:nanny state is 0.5% so not really alcohol free - will look to see if this is at my local Tesco as it sounds like something worth a try and maybe something to sell also! :D
None of it is alcohol free. However IIRC 0.5% is the limit to be called alcohol free.
As a personal License holder... I need to know what the Alcohol Free level is. And it is 0.05% :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Carrot007 wrote:
As a personal License holder... I need to know what the Alcohol Free level is. And it is 0.05% :wink:
I'm pretty sure that the UK licensing laws define an alcoholic drink as having more than 0.5% alcohol. At least they did a few years back, and if it's been revised since the government hasn't updated their website.

Food and drink labeling laws are another matter though, and I wouldn't be surprised if a distinction is made there. Either way, unless you're a recovering alcoholic, a professional driver working in a zero-tolerance regime, or have a rare liver disease, it's probably not going to make much difference once a drink is below the 0.5% level.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Katzkatz wrote:It's a non-alcoholic beer from Innis and Gunn called Innis and None(get the pun? :lol: ). It has some ginseng and vitamin C added. It does resemble a pale ale - but there are a lot of hops in the flavour. Really good. If you can handle the hops. I'd put it just behind Brewdog's non-alcoholic beer(The Nanny State). Worth checking out if you want a no alcohol drink.
The added ingredients make it sound more like an energy drink...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 am

I tried some of Samuel Adams' Rebel IPA in bottled form. It was okay, quite hoppy in flavour. Not distinctive enough for me though.