What's Your Favourite Exidy Arcade Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which one is your favourite?

Chiller
No votes
Venture
29%
Death Race
No votes
Mouse Trap
7%
Circus
14%
Pepper II
7%
Rip Cord
No votes
Targ
14%
Crossbow
21%
Other?
7%

Total votes: 14

ianpmarks

Re: What's Your Favourite Exidy Arcade Game?

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 am

The Laird wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:Exidy weren't really very good were they.
I suppose if you played one in the day then you'd have an affection for it,but they don't really stand the test of time. Having just MAME'ed those on the list there are none I'd vote for. They all look a bt 'budget' rip off a like. The K-Tel of the arcade world.
A lot of their games were very original actually, many of them broke new ground and several won awards too. But each to their own.
Awards mean nothing. Jusin Bieber has an awards cabinet as big as a bus station... it doesn't make him a quality artist.
I'm willing to have my mind changed though. Which ones are original? I'm happy to give them another go.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am

I would say nearly all of that list were original when they came out, probably with the exception of Chiller (pure shock value really) and Mouse Trap (which is essentially a Pac-Man clone albeit with an original element)

As I mentioned earlier, my particular highlights would be Crossbow, Venture, Pepper II and Targ.

Circus has always had a lot of fans, especially the Atari 2600 version, but I never really got to grips with it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Boulder Dash. Because it's the only really good game they published. The rest are pretty ropey. We all gave Chiller a whirl for its novelty at the time, but it soon wore thin even then. Going back now, they just don't have much of a catalogue worth looking at.
Agreed, Boulder Dash is the only decent game, the rest are dross.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 am

Very quickly had another look at your recommendations
Pepper II to me looks like a copy of Amidar/Qix.
Venture I just don't like the look of.
However on a very quick replay I could see myself quite liking Venture - although it is a bit of a Berzerk a like.
Targ could be fun, I like the idea - like a cross between Combat and Slot Racers - but it is really hard, so for me ultimately frustrating.

I'll vote for Venture then - as I can actually see myself playing it again.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 am

ianpmarks wrote:Very quickly had another look at your recommendations
Pepper II to me looks like a copy of Amidar/Qix.
Venture I just don't like the look of.
However on a very quick replay I could see myself quite liking Venture - although it is a bit of a Berzerk a like.
Targ could be fun, I like the idea - like a cross between Combat and Slot Racers - but it is really hard, so for me ultimately frustrating.

I'll vote for Venture then - as I can actually see myself playing it again.
The Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit versions of Targ are easier, so probably worth trying those instead.

There are some similarities between Venture and Berzerk but Exidy's game is more focused, rather than just a shoot 'em up, and more about the actual exploring. It was also the first game to feature enemy A.I. that actually learned your movements and attacks, a far cry from the stupid robots in Berzerk that shoot themselves!

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you. Will take a look at Atari versions, as quite like the idea of Targ.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Targs a great game. Simple but really addictive. And definitely deceptive in challenge as mentioned!

It's one of the reasons I love MAME is to play little gems like this.

It's not one of my fave arcade company line ups, but there's some fun games here IMO. There's a couple of others I've enjoyed here over the years, venture mousetrap namely but Targ stands out for me as covering the criteria for a good arcade game. As Nolan Bushnell say 'easy to pick up, difficult to master ' :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:01 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Agreed, Boulder Dash is the only decent game, the rest are dross.
Yep.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:46 pm

There's a big difference between playing their games for several weeks/months back in the day and having a quick go on MAME. At an initial glance, and compared to other more modern titles, their games don't look that appealing. But with continued play there is more to them than the sum of their parts. Obviously there is also some rose tinted specs in there!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:There's a big difference between playing their games for several weeks/months back in the day and having a quick go on MAME. At an initial glance, and compared to other more modern titles, their games don't look that appealing. But with continued play there is more to them than the sum of their parts. Obviously there is also some rose tinted specs in there!
Oh, for sure. With a quick look on MAME, a game like Targ on first appearance most would think was bland, extremely simple/dated, and not worth a second go.
I loved it in the arcade back in the day, and unsure how it got that first coin off me as it doesn't look that amazing at first glance, maybe all the other machines were busy! But it's a great challenging game, really fun.
It's a good example of not judging a book by it's cover! Another game I really loved was Kamikaze (Taito), a really frantic cool Space Invaders spinoff. Not much to look at in terms of graphical splendour, even in it's day. But terrific little blast. Another one to try on MAME although as you say, many would be inclined to have a quick go and write it off. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 am

paranoid marvin wrote:There's a big difference between playing their games for several weeks/months back in the day and having a quick go on MAME. At an initial glance, and compared to other more modern titles, their games don't look that appealing. But with continued play there is more to them than the sum of their parts. Obviously there is also some rose tinted specs in there!
I remember going on holiday to Norfolk as a kid and the camp were were staying in had 2 big arcades, one of them had an original Crossbow machine complete with the full size metal weapon attached to the cabinet, it looked epic. I played it constantly through that holiday, it was so much more interesting than all the other shooters of that type as it was far less mindless with your prime objective being to save your friends. I also loved the way you got to chose your path through your game and work out small puzzles on some of the levels (like dropping the icicles to fill the holes). When I got my 2600 it was one of the very first games I picked up and I since got the Atari 7800 and Atari XE ports which are even better.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 am

The Laird wrote:
I remember going on holiday to Norfolk as a kid and the camp were were staying in had 2 big arcades, one of them had an original Crossbow machine complete with the full size metal weapon attached to the cabinet, it looked epic. I played it constantly through that holiday, it was so much more interesting than all the other shooters of that type as it was far less mindless with your prime objective being to save your friends. I also loved the way you got to chose your path through your game and work out small puzzles on some of the levels (like dropping the icicles to fill the holes). When I got my 2600 it was one of the very first games I picked up and I since got the Atari 7800 and Atari XE ports which are even better.

Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 am

voted Crossbow as it's one of the games I remember playing as a kid in the arcades in Shanklin
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 am

Here's a little look at nearly all their games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SbD_TUu3A

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri May 12, 2017 3:09 pm

I love paddle games. Even back then Circus was "just" a Breakout redux - but it was different enough to be worth a look and the little clown animations looked great at the time. One of my favourite arcades in the early 80s had a Circus machine that had the sound turned way up and the bass sound of the clowns hitting the see-saw was a deep thud that could be heard several cabinets away. It became part of that arcade's atmosphere - so for that reason and the fact that it's a pretty good paddle game (and got a very good 2600 port), I go for Circus.