Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shinymcshine

Re: Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 am

I got the On Digital TV service when it first came out, around 1998, the also, later, had their On Net service which gave you access to emails & the internet through your TV, which was pretty good at the time.

There were a few snags though, whilst it was way cheaper than Sky and you could access some Sky channels the content was more limited (I got Sky 1, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Movies 1) not only did Sky start moving some of their programmes & sport to different Sky channels which you couldn't get with On Digital, they also had exclusive deals on certain programmes eg When Xena Warrior Princess was on Sky 1 us On Digital viewers got an alternative show :(

Overall it was a reasonable & cheaper alternative to Sky, shame that they backed the wrong horse themselves by overpaying for the rights to show Championship football, which eventually led to its downfall (via a rebranding as ITV Digital then ultimately leading to Freeview).

By 2001 I made the change and got Sky.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:22 am

Interesting subject and I suppose the 'wrong horse' is dependant on your point of view, unless you use something like number of units sold as a benchmark. Anyway here's a few I can think of -

Commodore C16 - A lower spec version of the world's best selling computer where the software will be totally incompatible even though you already have a similar machine (the VIC20) already on the market? Yeah that will work. My parents bought me one as the C64 was still an expensive machine at the time, especially for them as money was very tight. So while I would agree that it was a failure, I loved my C16. It had some fantastic little games on it that I think are sadly neglected due to the machine's failure.

Nintendo 64 - Wait! Hear me out. I jumped on the 64 bandwagon on release day with a copy of Mario 64. It cost me a fortune, but I loved it. However, as time went on, it became clear that 3rd party support for Nintendo was begining to wane. The Playstation with its disc based technology and it's appeal to 'older' gamers started the shift.

The Gamecube - Again, as with the 64 it was a popular console, it sold a fairly large number of units but yet, in many eyes it was deemed a failure. I thought it was great and has a lot of hours out of out it. But I did miss out on a whole lot of games which appeared only on the Xbox or PS2. I'm still craving for a PS2 just to play some of the games I missed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 am

My father in law bought an Amstrad em@iler. It was rubbish. And he was in his 80s with no need for it - he never used email.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone who bought an Amstrad was stupid. They were rubbish. And the 80s had no need for it.

There, just adjusted it so it read better. :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am

It's funny because it's true :lol:
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am

markopoloman wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone who bought an Amstrad was stupid. They were rubbish. And the 80s had no need for it.

There, just adjusted it so it read better. :lol:

I know people need to validate their own choices, and I also realize its just a coping mechanism for people who are insecure, but its still a bit sad.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:18 am

Agreed. Owning an Amstrad is very sad indeed.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Agreed. Owning an Amstrad is very sad indeed.
:lol:

RP - I'm jesting :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 am

markopoloman wrote:

I know.

We all know Amstrad is the best really.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
markopoloman wrote:

I know.

...bad system to own in the 80s.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:32 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
markopoloman wrote:

I know.

Well, I guess if you were an Amstrad owner you had to have a sense of humour; and a penchant for green.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 am

Some of the things on here represent great innovation just slightly too soon for the technology.

On Net - internet on your TV in 1999 was years ahead of the introduction of Smart TVs, and the Amstrad email home phone was several years before being able to send & access email on anything other than a PC.

I had a Creative MuVo 64mb MP3 player, a great little device, which, using Windows media player compression, I could fit just about 2 CDs worth of music onto, hence regularly having to delete & sync to get different tunes.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 am

RodimusPrime wrote:

I wonder how many of them went on to well paid jobs compared to the Speccy and c64 users. In other words did the Amstrad users get something extra from their machines that give them extra personal value in the work market even today?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 am

ivarf wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

I wonder how many of them went on to well paid jobs compared to the Speccy and c64 users. In other words did the Amstrad users get something extra from their machines that give them extra personal value in the work market even today?

Well I am doing ok, 1 speccy owner I know is in prison, and 1 is unemployed, the c64 owners are doing ok but nothing special.

After this indeph survey and investigation I think its safe to assume that yes indeed, Amstrad owners usually do better in life.

Wow, who would have thought a decades old argument could be solved this easily, I think we can all sigh with relief that its finally all over.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:41 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Well I am doing ok, 1 speccy owner I know is in prison, and 1 is unemployed, the c64 owners are doing ok but nothing special.

After this indeph survey and investigation I think its safe to assume that yes indeed, Amstrad owners usually do better in life.

Wow, who would have thought a decades old argument could be solved this easily, I think we can all sigh with relief that its finally all over.
I was a C64 owner (well, my brothers mainly), and they drink a lot of booze, and i'm a massive druggie addict. Where as Alan Sugar had an Amstrad, and he's now a squillionaire, tee-totaller and points fingers at scum to fire people. :mrgreen:

The C64 is still the king of the 8 bit home computers though! :P