Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 am

I've never seen one of those episodes push forward a plot, They're always filler episodes because the writers, cast and crew just want to mess about. I don't recall any of the songs being actually good either.

I do watch Nashville, which is pretty much just a soap opera, but the singing is in proper context there, it makes sense, not horribly out of place with the entire tone of the rest of the series.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 pm

I cannot vouch for it as I've not seen it but apparently the Xena musical episode, which came before OMWF, progresses the plot of the season. I don't believe the Scrubs one does but I cannot really remember and then again Scrubs didn't really have plots like Xena and Buffy.

The songs (bar the two background ones) from OMWF all push forward the plots/character in some way as it's how the characters are feeling. Dawn's Lament is purposefully cut off when she starts singing as it's about how she is feeling ignored by everybody. Under Your Spell sung by Tara is about how far she has come since being with Willow and then the Reprise version that she sings with Giles is about how she will leave Willow due to the magic.

I could go on but you get the drift.

On a side note, if you haven't already you should give the TV series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a go. :)
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 am

You say they push on the plot, but it could have been handled so much better if they'd just acted properly. I don't know anyone who goes around singing to tell me how they're feeling or why they're doing what they're doing, yet I understand.

The Xena musical episode was even worse. Xena was bad for having silly episodes every now and then anyway, but the musical is barely watchable. When Xena is good its very good, but when Xena is singing its horrid.

I do wonder if they just do it for the press. Show ticking away nicely, developing some good story arcs? Why not throw in a stupid musical episode to get people talking? Half the fans will love it, the other half will hate it, and it'll cause some buzz. And inevitably, it becomes a thing. "Do you remember Buffy?" "Oh, yes, they did that musical epsiode, didn't they?" <swift punch to throat>

Musical numbers should be used in musical shows. If a musical number turned up in Glee, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed (I think, never seen the show, doesnt appeal). Put it in my regular non-musical show, guaranteed bad episode.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Now this is a blast from the past. Absolutely loved Spike and the gang. True Blood is obviously inspired from Buffy and is another great show imo. Lots of people hate it just as much as the fans though. Probably because Sookie coudln't make up her bloody mind about who she wants to sleep with. By season 7, it got a bit tired....