Anyone added external drive to PS4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Anyone added external drive to PS4

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:08 am

Was gonna order a compatible 2tb drive to mine now it's patched to allow them. Anyone done It? Any issues? I know it has to be USB 3.

nokgod

Re: Anyone added external drive to PS4

Post by nokgod » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Not yet but i'm going to. It seems pretty straightforward, tbh.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-an- ... 1793125365
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 am

Yes, I've put a 2TB hard drive in mine. It was so simple to do (much easier than PS3) and there are plenty of YouTube videos to hand hold you through the process. Well worth doing... 500GB is way too small!

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 am

batman877 wrote:Yes, I've put a 2TB hard drive in mine
He's on about adding an external one. I've never really seen the point in this, as putting a larger one into the PS4 makes a lot more sense to me. Adding an external one just gives you a load of hassle as far as I can see. It would need to be plugged in all the time, or you'd have to keep plugging it in whenever you wanted to use something on it. It also uses up a USB port and there are only two. I just don't get it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 am

Well the ps4 pro has three usb ports. I also have a spare external HDD sat here doing nothing so i may as well use it. It's not like it's any problem to just leave it behind the tv is it? :?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:48 am

nokgod wrote:Well the ps4 pro has three usb ports. I also have a spare external HDD sat here doing nothing so i may as well use it. It's not like it's any problem to just leave it behind the tv is it? :?
Three ports, that's better. I didn't know they'd done that on the new one. I have a keyboard and the controller plugged into my PS4 and there's none left now. I have to unplug something to put a Flash Drive in it.

If you have a spare drive doing nothing, then it makes some sense, I suppose. I just though it odd that when it was announced people seemed to be really excited about it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:23 am

I think the third 3.1 rear USB was added for the VR headset support, maybe? Not sure. I don't know how many ports an Xbone sports by comparison but with wireless headsets, charging, mouse, keyboard and a host of other devices vying for the slots, two seems a bit miserable anyway! Keeping costs to a minimum i presume.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:57 am

The rear usb port was added for psvr

Eat your nans pants