NINTENDO WII
67%
NINTENDO WII-U
33%

Total votes: 30

RodimusPrime

console battle Q15 NINTENDO WII VS NINTENDO WII U

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

First 8 qualifying rounds are over and the winners going through to the next knockout round are

Atari 2600 which beat the Magnavox
Colecovision which beat the Intellivision
Master system which beat the NES
Vectrex which beat the Atari 5200
Atari 7800 which beat the Action max
C64GS which beat the GX4000
Neo Geo which beat the PC engine
Super Nintendo which beat the megadrive

So now for the next 8 Qualifying rounds to see who joins them, next up is

NINTENDO WII VS NINTENDO WII-U

Its actually the Wii-U for me. Mario 3d world is going to rank as one of top 10 games of all time and have had so much fun with the machine.

The Laird

Re: console battle Q15 NINTENDO WII VS NINTENDO WII U

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am

The Wii was brilliant, truly revolutionary console with a great library.

The Wii U not so much . . . .

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 am

Pointless comparison

The Wiiu plays Wii games so no point in voting for the Wii

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 am

Tough choice, bearing in mind the very handy backwards compatibility of the Wii U, but the console itself really lacked the innovation of the original Wii and its no surprise it struggled in the current market.

I'll opt for the original Wii, mainly because of Mario Galaxy (which so far I prefer to Super Mario 3d world, but i'm currently playing that one) that really blew me away, and its native backward compatibility with Gamecube games, and easy modification (although I understand this is now achievable on Wii U as well....but lack of Gamecube controller ports slightly gives the Wii the edge on that front!)

480p on a 7th generation console was pretty lame though, from a purely technical perspective, looking back at it. Even the OG Xbox had a few games that supported 720p/1080i, and that was launched 5 years earlier.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 am

DPrinny wrote:Pointless comparison

Wii also has a larger VC, can play Gamecube games.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

RodimusPrime wrote:

Isn't the full Wii shop still open though if you enter "Wii Mode" on Wii U?

As for Gamecube games, fair enough, although I believe you can install Nintendont (in Wii mode) you can then run GC games off a USB HDD. I've not tried it on Wii U, but its the same software as on the Wii and works very well on that. Although the downside is that you have to play the games with a classic controller due to no GC ports. Its not "legit" or official in any way of course, but lets face it....the homebrew and modding scene of older consoles is a pretty big pull for some. Now Ninty have pulled the plug on the Wii U, I may softmod it, as it seems to offer everything the Wii does, just without the GC ports. Might make Wii/GC/emulators look quite nice as well at 720/1080p through HDMI, rather than 480p component.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

Isn't the full Wii shop still open though if you enter "Wii Mode" on Wii U?

As for Gamecube games, fair enough, although I believe you can install Nintendont (in Wii mode) you can then run GC games off a USB HDD. I've not tried it on Wii U, but its the same software as on the Wii and works very well on that. Although the downside is that you have to play the games with a classic controller due to no GC ports. Its not "legit" or official in any way of course, but lets face it....the homebrew and modding scene of older consoles is a pretty big pull for some. Now Ninty have pulled the plug on the Wii U, I may softmod it, as it seems to offer everything the Wii does, just without the GC ports. Might make Wii/GC/emulators look quite nice as well at 720/1080p through HDMI, rather than 480p component.
They are still separate consoles and some people prefer the Wii and some the Wii U

And technically although the Wiiu can play Wii games, they are still Wii games and if you prefer those games over Wiiu games then really you should be voting the Wii.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

RodimusPrime wrote: They are still separate consoles and some people prefer the Wii and some the Wii U

And technically although the Wiiu can play Wii games, they are still Wii games and if you prefer those games over Wiiu games then really you should be voting the Wii.
Sure, its your thread, so you make the rules! If we're just talking strictly about the library of games for one specific console, then my vote for the Wii stands over the Wii U. The whole murky area of modding, and even legit backwards compatibility confuses matters though!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: They are still separate consoles and some people prefer the Wii and some the Wii U

Sure, its your thread, so you make the rules! If we're just talking strictly about the library of games for one specific console, then my vote for the Wii stands over the Wii U. The whole murky area of modding, and even legit backwards compatibility confuses matters though!
When has choosing your favorite console just been about the library of games though?

What about people who had the Wii at time of releas and played Zelda, Mario Galaxy on that console. sure they could go and get a Wii if they wanted but the memories and the enjoyment would be associated with the Wii.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am just picking my fave console, why On earth would I pick something just because it has more games. That's pretty irrelevant if you have never played them.

Its why I picked the Dreamcast over the PS2, Sure the PS2 has a larger library with some huge games, but the Dreamcast gave me more enjoyment.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:

If we are talking about modded consoles and that then in theory wouldn't the WiiU be the best of all as it can emulate a lot of machines?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

RodimusPrime wrote: When has choosing your favorite console just been about the library of games though?
I'd say its about the most important aspect of it for me - the games.
DPrinny wrote: If we are talking about modded consoles and that then in theory wouldn't the WiiU be the best of all as it can emulate a lot of machines?
That was my point, but I think these threads are essentially about the games that came out for the system officially, rather than the capabilities after modding it. As yea, the Wii U can do pretty much everything the Wii can (both modded), except the Wii U has HDMI 720/1080p, and Wii U games and the Gamepad....the Wii has the gamecube controller and memory slots and thats about it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: When has choosing your favorite console just been about the library of games though?

I'd say its about the most important aspect of it for me - the games.

DPrinny wrote: If we are talking about modded consoles and that then in theory wouldn't the WiiU be the best of all as it can emulate a lot of machines?
That was my point, but I think these threads are essentially about the games that came out for the system officially, rather than the capabilities after modding it. As yea, the Wii U can do pretty much everything the Wii can (both modded), except the Wii U has HDMI 720/1080p, and Wii U games and the Gamepad....the Wii has the gamecube controller and memory slots and thats about it.

Yes the games you have played and the ones that you enjoyed the most. not just comparing an entire library of games you have never played.

A console that someone played for or 5 games they love is still a better machine to them than a console that has 10 times the library but is full of games the person either did not like, did not play or had no interest in.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Owned a Wii since the launch, it does have a load of great games, the WiiU has

Very little, nearly got one this week for events, but will probably end up getting a swtich and the WiiU ports when they get cheaper

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Yes the games you have played and the ones that you enjoyed the most. not just comparing an entire library of games you have never played.

A console that someone played for or 5 games they love is still a better machine to them than a console that has 10 times the library but is full of games the person either did not like, did not play or had no interest in.
Well yea, obviously. I never considered otherwise. Having the more expansive library of games would give a higher probability of there being more quality titles, but that is no guarantee of course.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Our Wii is in the loft. Our Wii-U is in the dining room connected to a projector.
The Wii-U plays all the Wii games we have.

The Wii-U is a yes from me :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/