When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

resident paul

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer!

Post by resident paul » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Antiriad2097

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Aaargh! Can't watch it, stuck on a boat with terrible internet connection. Anywhere got any stills or discussion on it, it can just about cope with that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Going Solo...................

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Can you believe my internet connection is so bad I've read that entire article and I'm still waiting for half the images to download? Thanks though, just what I needed.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeah, I just caught this on YouTube. Looks impressive. We'll have to wait until Xmas for this. Doubtless they'll be more trailers released soon.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:22 pm

I got the rogue one blu ray today, finished that only to get a notification about the trailer so watched it straight away. Very impressed by both.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:19 am

Managed to watch it in very low resolution with loads of artefacts. It's interesting, but not the most exciting of trailers.

Makes me wonder if they're doing the whole cyclic thing that is common to Star Wars movies. The Force Awakens was essentially a retread of A New Hope. With this trailer, could they be revisitng the themes in The Empire Strikes Back for another slower paced developmental movie? Rey has many questions about her family and her abilities, just as Luke did. We see her training, echoing the Dagobah visit. We see ships on some sort of desert looking place with the suggestion of walkers on the horizon, perhaps a diametric opposite to Hoth? Leia has just lost her immediate family with the death of Han, much like Luke losing Owen and Beru.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Managed to watch it in very low resolution with loads of artefacts. It's interesting, but not the most exciting of trailers.

Makes me wonder if they're doing the whole cyclic thing that is common to Star Wars movies. The Force Awakens was essentially a retread of A New Hope. With this trailer, could they be revisitng the themes in The Empire Strikes Back for another slower paced developmental movie? Rey has many questions about her family and her abilities, just as Luke did. We see her training, echoing the Dagobah visit. We see ships on some sort of desert looking place with the suggestion of walkers on the horizon, perhaps a diametric opposite to Hoth? Leia has just lost her immediate family with the death of Han, much like Luke losing Owen and Beru.
I hope not. Whilst I can see why they did that sort of thing for The Force Awakens - I really would like them to go off on a different tangent and do something fresh and different for the Star Wars universe. That's what I am hoping for the upcoming film.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Yeah i cant see this being another remake. It's a teaser trailer so it's hardly giving anything away. I wouldn't worry. The trailer was longer than I thought

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Worry? I'm not worried. I think TFA is a great movie, highly enjoyable, I've already watched it more than the prequels. For the last year it's been permanently on my phone, tablets and laptop so I can drop into it wherever I am, I only binned it off my phone a couple of weeks ago to make some podcast space while I'm off wifi and not willing to pay silly money for data.

I don't think it'll be as heavy handed as TFA in its callbacks, but I do think there will be some similar themes. No bad thing imo.

As for going off on tangents, we have the Star Wars Story movies for that, with Rogue One last christmas and the young Han Solo movie pegged for next year. They'll do a Marvel with it, spinning the longer story arcs like The Avengers and Iron Man, but giving us a Deadpool every now and then.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Can't say it made me excited for the movie - which I guess is the main purpose -so it failed on that score, but I've no doubt it will be well made and in the spirit of acts IV-VII. Just a real shame that they can't dump acts I-III and do them properly.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Glad there wasn't much in the way of spoilers in it.

The trailer should basically be 20 seconds long & have Mark Hamill saying. "Look guys, it's a new Star Wars film you're going to go see it, eh!"
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:58 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Just a real shame that they can't dump acts I-III and do them properly.
On the upside, the prequels we did get didn't sully the era where Vader is stomping round the galaxy kicking butt, so there's always hope we'll get the prequels we really wanted covering this period some day. Rogue One showed us a glimpse of it, but there's scope for the entire Jedi hunt. THAT could be a good movie or three, with the Emperor scheming and Vader having lots of battles and cool moments. They could even have a stab at tweaking Tarkin to look more human. We are getting the Han Solo movie, so they're not shirking away from that time.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 am

My greatest hope for a spin-off film is a Jar-Jar Binks one - hey, hear me out! Jar-Jar Binks goes into hiding after the events of the prequels, but Vader tracks him down and then brutally decapitates him with his lightsaber! :D

I can see it now :

Jar-Jar Binks : Me's a Jar-Jar Binks. You remember Any. I knew you when you were a little boy.
Vader: That name no longer means anything to me. I am not a Jedi - I am a Sith!

Cue Jar-Jar Binks' death scene!

What do you guys think? I think it would be popular! :lol: :D
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Some one on Youtube has played The Force Awakens and Last Jedi trailers side by side and they are nearly shot for shot identical...
Going Solo...................