Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

necronom

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by necronom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:07 pm

It's looking good, but the thing I want to know is why am I getting the latest trailer from someone on a gaming forum and not from a project update? That's quite annoying. The last update we got was in April. His communication it appalling. I (and a few others) have asked about Blu-Ray a few times, but we never get an answer, or any news about the project in general. Other projects have the person running it actually posting on the comments page.

It should be worth it when we eventually get in in blurry low res DVD, even if it's just to see RJ being RJ. Some of the photos in the trailer looked good, so I'll be interested in seeing those.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:03 am

Well they are looking for 'help' again

Hey guys. Next week we are formally uploading the trailer on YouTube for release. You can see a test version below if you didn't see it yet.
Can anyone give good advice for getting it to go as viral as possible? Proper category? Keywords and tags? We want it to blow up as much as we can.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Okay, I've heard down the grapevine that this is coming out in December from a key source , that's all I was told. so this will be a stocking filler for a lot of you :)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Well I hope it is this year. The backers have been waiting a long time. He has not posted on KS since April, he keeps saying he is sorry yet when people call him on it he gets all defensive and clams up. People have been waiting a long time for this, the first trailer was updated to YT Sep 29, 2010.
Rocky

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 pm

BTB The Amiga Years can now be bought as a physical copy for those interested for their collection. Standard and Special Editions :)

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:19 am

BTB The Amiga Years can now be bought as a physical copy for those interested for their collection. Standard and Special Editions :)
Looking forward to getting mine in the post :)
Rocky

Image Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:38 pm

So Danny O'dwyer who used to be at Gamespot is not out on his own doing mini video games documentaries and putting them on YT. They are advert free and he is getting funded through pateron.

The first one is on the history of Rocket League

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fDG3 ... OqPMymDNbw
Rocky

Image Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Man vs Snake is now on UK Netflix :)
Rocky

Image Image

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 am

Just finished watching this...The Viva Amiga movie....worth waiting five years FOR? .....In all honesty .....YES....I've loved the style and editing acumen Zachary Weddington has excused within the film's presentation and insight. The flow works very well and although some of it content has being covered since, this doesn't matter, it's about the Amiga and this film truly champions this throughout the entire film. I will admit I was in the same boat as the majority of the backers with the dismay of how things were handled and excuted as well as the lack of correspondence to backers or wasn't enough for vast periods of time. But the fact that the film is actually out now is testimony to the film maker keeping his promise even if we are the back end of queue which I find extremely bizarre and a little disrepecting of those that made it happen. 

The only qem for me within the film was no coverage of what is a huge clunk of the Amiga community the "Demo Scene" a real missed opportunity here or enough insight with Pacific software that made the Amiga mind blowing. .Newtek was great, but should have had more company profiles included, it's no biggie though, you won't really notice the time flying by..and last but not least the Duration of the film...1hr? Really? How did this happen? Generally any documentaries I've ever seen are normally 1hr 30 mins or greater? It was all over way to soon for me...so soon...made me sad...hopefully the extras due will help ease the pain but this really suprised me?

If you love the old school stuff and computers regardless what you owned this is well worth getting , it's another archived slice of computer history everyone should see and own..if not only to see my name in the credits at the end.. I was responsible for the kickstarter graphics and artwork in case you were wondering.
ImageImage

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I watched it earlier, and I was shocked to see it was only about an hour long. I was expecting at least 1:40, and hoping for 2 hours. My name was also missing from the list of backers, and I wasn't the only one. He should have got us to check that, as other Kickstarter projects often do.

After about 30 minutes Commodore had gone bust, so the rest was after that point. I really wanted more about how they made it, stories, etc. I guess I just prefer the Bedrooms to Billions style.

There were some rendering issues on a few scenes (a jump in some animations, and a texture flickering madly), but overall I liked the 3D scenes, and it gave it a different look to other documentaries.

The lack of a Blu-Ray option is really annoying, but the streamed one I saw earlier was in HD, so at least I can hopefully download the HD version at some point and watch it like that. I can't see the DVD being watched. I may as well watch it off VHS.

There weren't many people interviewed, so we kept going back to the same few people, though RJ is always good, and we got Dave Needle. Good to see Bryce Nesbitt (for a few seconds), and Jason Compton (also a few seconds).

I did like it, but I was a little disappointed. We have been promised some extras, so that should help.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Where TF is the World 1:1 documentary physical copy? :? If I was a backer I'd be massively pissed. I am weary of who I back now

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:13 pm

kiwimike wrote:I am weary of who I back now
Funny you should mention that lol...the producer of Viva Amiga is planning another film covering the Sega brand possible the console and of course the Arcade division. And before the pitch folks get pulled out, he has a team assembled to handle this properly this time. The film will be called "Outrunnig the Future" I'm sure it will be posted here soon.
ImageImage

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Greyfox wrote:
kiwimike wrote:I am weary of who I back now
Funny you should mention that lol...the producer of Viva Amiga is planning another film covering the Sega brand possible the console and of course the Arcade division. And before the pitch folks get pulled out, he has a team assembled to handle this properly this time. The film will be called "Outrunnig the Future" I'm sure it will be posted here soon.
It sounds fab and the sort of thing I'd love to back...and maybe with experience it will be done better. The Bedrooms to Billions team for example were clearly lovely people but got a bit overwhelmed during their first BTB movie, but were slicker and quicker on the Amiga years.
The two I have the most fond memories of backing was Oli Freys recent art book, and the 'Get Lamp' DVD on text adventures. Other than that I have found them a bit frustrating. To be fair, in many cases faults on both sides, as we punters can get overexcited and impatient. But to me, there is no excuse for (A) Excessive amounts of timeframe (obviously there are personal health or the like exceptions) and (B) The book/movie/game being available at Amazon for a couple of months before the backers get theirs. Backers should be first, always. They've backed the thing IMO :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Just popped onto World 1-1 FB page. Very quiet. Their last public post was saying you could get 75% off the movie via steam (last November). The last public post was someone asking last June when he could expect his DVD, as October 2016 would mark two years since the expected delivery date! Wow. As usual, the distributors are to blame. :) Thought I'd update the page by asking if there was any news on an upcoming DVD release date, and wished em a happy NY :)
*They have replied, to their credit- They are currently fighting the distributors as those said distributors got bought out and now have a new staff- and now they have to fight to what is rightly theirs (and their backers) with a new lot, after the last staff mucked them around.
I feel so sorry for the backers still waiting after years for their DVDs. At least you can see it (and cheaply) via download.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 am

Another new movie is out that focuses on the earlier years of Atari (up to the Tramiel takeover pretty much) called Easy To Learn Hard To Master: The Fate of Atari.

Although I did actually back this on Kickstarter I was bit hesitant towards it because I figured it would just be going over well-trodden ground and not offer up anything knew. Although my suspicions seemed to be true for the first half hour after that it was totally gripping. The prime reason for this is because it has the first ever interview with the highly controversial former CEO of Atari Ray Kassar and his battle of words with Nolan Bushnell (and other Atari stalwarts for that matter) becomes the key focus of the film and is absolutely fascinating. I don't want to ruin much more for those who want to watch it.

If you want a more in depth review have a look HERE