Racing Apex

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Racing Apex

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 am

Virtua Racing, is that you?

http://luckymountaingames.com/

The visual style looks great and the inclusion of weapons will seemingly shake things up a bit. I'd like to see some loopy tracks and a track editor too though.

Antiriad2097

Re: Racing Apex

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am

Its going to have to play well to sell, as those visuals look dated rather than stylised.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:25 pm

This looks great to me. looking forward to seeing how it goes.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07 am

I love the style... only I can't stand racing games with guns stuck on!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:59 am

I think it looks great. Crisp, clear graphics like that need never go out of style. The interior details of the vehicles, damage system and the 'lean' of the vehicle handling are all nice touches too.
I got the impression that some of those modes are pure racing without the weapons - is that correct or is it weapons only?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:36 pm

JamesC wrote:I think it looks great. Crisp, clear graphics like that need never go out of style. The interior details of the vehicles, damage system and the 'lean' of the vehicle handling are all nice touches too.
I got the impression that some of those modes are pure racing without the weapons - is that correct or is it weapons only?
It's a low-poly, flat-shaded graphical style that went out of fashion after Sega Model 1 (Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, etc), SNES' Super FX chip (Star Fox, FX Race, etc.) and early software rendering 3D polygon PC graphics (X-Wing, F1 Grand Prix, etc.) made way for fully textured 3D graphics. This style may look archaic or dated to some, but in my opinion it looks great in high resolutions and with smooth framerates.

I'm not sure about what modes will be included but they do mention customization so that could also mean a "pure racing" mode without the weapons.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its going to have to play well to sell, as those visuals look dated rather than stylised.
Yes, early 2D games can look stylish and colourful which is why so many great games still use that style, whereas early 3D games just look a bit crap now. I think the 16 bit era still holds up visually in a way the 32 bit era doesn't.

That said its interesting to see this style being used on modern hardware and it might look good moving, plus untextured polys look more stylish and crisper than the blocky, ugly low-res textures of the PS and Saturn. But I don't expect low poly 3D models to make a big comeback the way pixel art has.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm obviously in a minority here.

The video shows it moving slickly, but in my eyes its all a bit dull to look at. When you compare it to something like Wipeout Pure/Pulse that took a similar clean aesthetic yet managed to make it look cool and relevant, this game isnt quite cutting it for me. Its gone beyond the clean, sleek polygon look of early titles into the fugly 'not quite ready for textures' era of graphics.

It either needs to add a load more polys to get some detail in, or strip it right back to lower polys. Those character models are particularly ugly (though I realise they're not a significant part of the game).
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:08 pm

I've fond memories of a lot of racing games from the flat-shaded polygon era; Stunt Car Racer, Formula 1 Grand Prix and No Second Prize all spring to mind. Still, I don't think it was ever much of an end in itself in aesthetic terms. Rather, you were always looking at a trade-off between detail and frame rate that was constantly shifting as the technologies improved, and that makes it much more difficult to hit a nostalgic sweet spot than with, say, pixel art.

And yeah, games that mix driving and shooting rarely seem to work.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

Virtua Racing meets Roadblasters. I'm in!

One of the things that most excites me about this is that you don't get a lot of driving games in the indie and open source arenas and when they do happen they tend to be too offbeat, buggy and generally s**t. This game promises to buck that trend. Really looking forward to it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Hmm. Looking at the Switch lineup, this might end up being the only proper car racing game on it that isn't an iOS/Android port. I may have to reassess this if it ever gets a release.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Ridge Racer in the style of Interstate. Looking interesting, ESP if the drivers have their own distinctive driving styles.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:57 am

I'm not convinced on the visuals either. Some of the car models look quite ugly. For clean graphics I'd rather see something like Outrun 2006.

Having said that it's nice to see a game bucking the GT/Forza model.

driver695

Post by driver695 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 am

markopoloman wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07 am
I love the style... only I can't stand racing games with guns stuck on!
Love the style...
But like you the gun thing's a turnoff 🙁

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Art style is cool, very late 80's/early 90s Polygon racing game style, looking forward to a PS4 port of this, hoping not too much longer, been a while now!