Yet another

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Yet another

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:09 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I'm not a cyclist, rather I am someone who drives or walks. While I am sure there are erratic cyclists out there, some potentially being quite dangerous, its more likely to be at their own risk rather than others. Sure, a cyclist at full pelt could potentially kill a pedestrian (and its quite probable that its occurred before but it surely is rare by comparison to injuries and deaths caused by motor cars), but cars are the biggest death traps.

I've seen so many bad and careless drivers in my 15+ years of driving - tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, using mobile phones whilst driving, awful lane discipline, excess speeding, drink/drug driving etc etc. This is what causes fatal accidents. Cyclists may cause inconvenience at times for the intolerant and impatient drivers out there, but speed and weight of a vehicle leads to death or terrible life changing injuries, and a bike certainly lacks weight, and average bike speed is low.
Don't you come in here with your common sense and detailed, reasoned analysis young sir!!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I've seen so many bad and careless drivers in my 15+ years of driving - tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, using mobile phones whilst driving, awful lane discipline, excess speeding, drink/drug driving etc etc. This is what causes fatal accidents.
Kind of ignoring the many car accidents caused by reckless cyclists there. Usually accidents that leave the arsehole cyclist entirely untouched while the innocent motorists who had to swerve to miss the stupid twunt(s) are on the way to hospital. If they're lucky.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:40 am

The Beans wrote:
Kind of ignoring the many car accidents caused by reckless cyclists there. Usually accidents that leave the arsehole cyclist entirely untouched while the innocent motorists who had to swerve to miss the stupid twunt(s) are on the way to hospital. If they're lucky.
I'm not ignoring it, and it surely does happen at times, but is it as much of a problem as genuine road deaths caused by careless motorists (whether the victim is a cyclist, pedestrian or driver)? I would think not.

Its not like the majority of cyclists, who are safe cyclists, are at a lower risk of fatality or injury than a motorist (proportionately). Cycling on roads is risky compared with driving, and the main threat is cars (whether they are responsible or its down to dangerous driving by the car). As the person in the safer vehicle (modern cars are pretty safe for drivers in general in sub 30-40mph accidents - at least for ourselves and our passengers), we should be more aware of the dangers we pose to people on bikes (and for that matter, pedestrians) who may only have limited head protection. Oh, and I'm not against reprimanding bad cyclists, but they have become an easy "target". Drivers and cyclists should both be more alert and aware and focus on that - becoming better drivers and cyclists, rather than making it another "us vs them" contest. Ditching the arrogance (whichever side you are on) and finger pointing would be a good start as well.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 am

Topic locked.

Discussion of news stories is fine, deliberately loading a topic with inflammatory language to start an argument isn't. Please don't do it.

The forum's acceptable use policy defines "Derailing threads by intentionally starting arguments for the sake of it" as offensive behaviour - to clarify, starting threads to do so is also considered offensive behaviour. Further such topics may be deleted and we reserve the right to ban repeat offenders from the forum.