What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:04 am

White van men, they seem to be the types of people that are OUT OF THE WAY MOVE IM THE ONLY ONE ON THE ROAD!!

First bus drivers, really they dont give a toss

taxi drivers, yeah just go, it dont matter if people are coming

and most annoying of all
People that park on cycle lanes

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:37 am

flatapex wrote:most meds on prescription are different (usually stronger) than over the counter and are in no way comparable.
I thought the whole point of the study all this debate is based on was to bring attention to the fact that money is needlessly being spent on stuff that actually is available over the counter and is being prescribed at inflated cost? Basic things like headache tablets, cough medicine and gluten free foods.

I'll be honest, if you can't afford that stuff then you need to sort your life out rather than expect the NHS to carry on funding your preferred lifestyle.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:01 pm

The Beans wrote:
flatapex wrote:most meds on prescription are different (usually stronger) than over the counter and are in no way comparable.
I thought the whole point of the study all this debate is based on was to bring attention to the fact that money is needlessly being spent on stuff that actually is available over the counter and is being prescribed at inflated cost? Basic things like headache tablets, cough medicine and gluten free foods.

I'll be honest, if you can't afford that stuff then you need to sort your life out rather than expect the NHS to carry on funding your preferred lifestyle.
Two small points:
Number one- all i said about my lifestyle was £300 on buying treatments that mean i can leave the house in the summer (ever worked in an office and been sunburned waiting 10 minutes for a bus on a low UV day? I have) meant I wouldn't be able to spend that amount on a holiday, no mention of how much i earn. If people with severe skin conditions are exercising a preferred lifestyle by going outside then i really worry for you.

Number two: i simply asked where you draw the line.

Personally i would put up the cost of pints in pubs and also cigarettes, drinking and smoking are a preferred lifestyle, not having a lifelong condition and wanting to leave the house

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 pm

flatapex wrote:
The Beans wrote:

Two small points:
Number one- all i said about my lifestyle was £300 on buying treatments that mean i can leave the house in the summer (ever worked in an office and been sunburned waiting 10 minutes for a bus on a low UV day? I have) meant I wouldn't be able to spend that amount on a holiday, no mention of how much i earn. If people with severe skin conditions are exercising a preferred lifestyle by going outside then i really worry for you.

Number two: i simply asked where you draw the line.

Personally i would put up the cost of pints in pubs and also cigarettes, drinking and smoking are a preferred lifestyle, not having a lifelong condition and wanting to leave the house
Where I draw the line is this:

If you need treatment of any sort to enable you to leave the house and function normally then the NHS is there for you.

But if you "need" treatment to free up £300 to go towards your yearly holiday you can kiss my arse. The NHS isn't there to help you out with your holiday spend. It isn't there to keep you in gluten free food so you can feed your pet Staffie and get that HD tv from Brighthouse. It isn't there to give you a free bottle of cough syrup where you might have had to do without ciggies for a whole morning if they hadn't.

Everybody's damn keen to tell the smokers, drinkers and fatties that they've got to take more responsibility for their health because they're costing the NHS too much. The same holds true for anybody who's nipping down to the doc for paracetamol and Lemsip imo. Some stuff should just be budgeted at home. I can't believe how frickin soft this country has become sometimes.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

The Beans wrote:

If you need treatment of any sort to enable you to leave the house and function normally then the NHS is there for you.

But if you "need" treatment to free up £300 to go towards your yearly holiday you can kiss my arse. The NHS isn't there to help you out with your holiday spend. It isn't there to keep you in gluten free food so you can feed your pet Staffie and get that HD tv from Brighthouse. It isn't there to give you a free bottle of cough syrup where you might have had to do without ciggies for a whole morning if they hadn't.

Everybody's damn keen to tell the smokers, drinkers and fatties that they've got to take more responsibility for their health because they're costing the NHS too much. The same holds true for anybody who's nipping down to the doc for paracetamol and Lemsip imo. Some stuff should just be budgeted at home. I can't believe how frickin soft this country has become sometimes.
My treatment means I can leave the house and go to work, my only reference to holidays is that if i was made to pay for essential consultant referred treatments then that's how I would cut back.

By your logic my treatment is perfectly fine to be covered then

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:09 pm

DPrinny wrote:White van men, they seem to be the types of people that are OUT OF THE WAY MOVE IM THE ONLY ONE ON THE ROAD!!
I have recently (as in the last 6 months) become a white man of sorts but for a company rather than a privateer ragging it around in a rusty old Transit and while there is still simply zero excuse for bad/dangerous driving, I have definitely seen another side of things i.e. having a tight schedule of drops to complete and being held up by people doing 30mph in 50mph and all that. The problem is that you have people with completely different mindsets and goals right behind one another on the roads and frustration sets in

Like I said, no excuse though and I - personally - am very conscious to drive vans as safely as I would my own car but there are plenty of nutters out there.

Dangerous driving in general is a bugbear. Was driving down a narrow-ish rural road today and a HGV on the other side suddenly decided to overtake a cyclist. Had to hit the brakes as the HGV left me nowhere to go such was the lack of width/space on the road :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:37 pm

flatapex wrote:
The Beans wrote:

My treatment means I can leave the house and go to work, my only reference to holidays is that if i was made to pay for essential consultant referred treatments then that's how I would cut back.

By your logic my treatment is perfectly fine to be covered then
Yes yes. You have a genuine condition, you get the freebs. Or you should do. Although I'd expect you to turn to ash in strong sunlight without it. £40 a bottle. It better have crushed unicorn in it to justify that price.

But the trend on social media from complainers about all this has universally been along the lines of "OMG I won't be able to afford X!". Where "X" is basically a load of luxury bollocks that nobody is entitled to, Holidays have featured. Although the gluten free thing is a bigger sticking point for me. Hardly a mention of needing magic lotion just to go to work. The entitlement, what's expected from the NHS, it is SEVERELY gear grinding.
I begrudge my taxes to these muppets. I think I despise them more than druggies. I'm still making my mind up.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:30 pm

The NHS is at breaking point and something has to give. Mrs Rocky has celiac so she has to be gluten free its not cheap but we have to give up on other things so she can eat right.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure £300 one off would buy a nice outfit to shade from the sun, lasting a lot longer than some OTT suncream. Are those all in one bodysuit things still trendy?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm pretty sure £300 one off would buy a nice outfit to shade from the sun, lasting a lot longer than some OTT suncream. Are those all in one bodysuit things still trendy?
onesies? they were never trendy

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm pretty sure £300 one off would buy a nice outfit to shade from the sun, lasting a lot longer than some OTT suncream. Are those all in one bodysuit things still trendy?
Not since I worn one at Playexpo

ITS HARD TO HIDE MY SAUSAGE IN THAT STYLE OF OUTFIT!!

Gaffatape chafes

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

flatapex wrote:bit of background- i suffer from a skin condition called vitiligo, if you aren't familiar with it please google image search it as this will help with context.

There is a big hoo-haa going on at the minute because of certain things being on prescription, one of those things is a particular sunblock that i need for my condition, which without prescription is £40 a bottle, to put this into further context it would cost me £300 a year even if i didn't go on holiday (we don't go away in the summer as my skin can't stand the heat, family and friends know this). Also to put in context, when was the last time you saw spf100? Thats typically what I use on consultant recommendation.

Or so I thought, when I said on fb that this situation and public outcry was getting on my nerves.

My brother in law tried to wind me up, this I wasn't surprised at, I don't rise to him as I expect it.

My sister in law (not his wife, another one), however is her usual a-hole self. ''it would reduce strain on the nhs" yes, i feel hugely guilty I need hundreds of pounds of treatments (I am also on twice daily meds for the rest of my life for another illness), then of course she pipes up that mother in law had the condition and she didnt need any special sunblock (mother in law passed away over 20 years ago unfortunatly), and of course digs about if I can afford a holiday I can afford it, even though I rarely need it to go on holiday as I typically go to places that are colder than the UK and if I have to spend that £300, there won't be money for holidays for me or her dear younger sister.

I have to bite my tongue a lot around her to keep the peace.
I've also experienced something similar. The NHS have been a godsend to me and my family and compared to others, I now lead a relatively normal life thanks to their care. To look at me, you'd struggle to know anything was wrong. Yet because of this people think I'm taking the pi$$ and I've found myself justifying my disability badge for example. Maybe because I don't make a big show or fuss of things, get on with life and feel privileged with it, others think there's nothing wrong with me. People are c£#ts.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:57 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
flatapex wrote:bit of background- i suffer from a skin condition called vitiligo, if you aren't familiar with it please google image search it as this will help with context.

There is a big hoo-haa going on at the minute because of certain things being on prescription, one of those things is a particular sunblock that i need for my condition, which without prescription is £40 a bottle, to put this into further context it would cost me £300 a year even if i didn't go on holiday (we don't go away in the summer as my skin can't stand the heat, family and friends know this). Also to put in context, when was the last time you saw spf100? Thats typically what I use on consultant recommendation.

Or so I thought, when I said on fb that this situation and public outcry was getting on my nerves.

My brother in law tried to wind me up, this I wasn't surprised at, I don't rise to him as I expect it.

My sister in law (not his wife, another one), however is her usual a-hole self. ''it would reduce strain on the nhs" yes, i feel hugely guilty I need hundreds of pounds of treatments (I am also on twice daily meds for the rest of my life for another illness), then of course she pipes up that mother in law had the condition and she didnt need any special sunblock (mother in law passed away over 20 years ago unfortunatly), and of course digs about if I can afford a holiday I can afford it, even though I rarely need it to go on holiday as I typically go to places that are colder than the UK and if I have to spend that £300, there won't be money for holidays for me or her dear younger sister.

I have to bite my tongue a lot around her to keep the peace.
I've also experienced something similar. The NHS have been a godsend to me and my family and compared to others, I now lead a relatively normal life thanks to their care. To look at me, you'd struggle to know anything was wrong. Yet because of this people think I'm taking the pi$$ and I've found myself justifying my disability badge for example. Maybe because I don't make a big show or fuss of things, get on with life and feel privileged with it, others think there's nothing wrong with me. People are c£#ts.
People are indeed all the expletives under the sun, I was basically bullied out of my old job because of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_reflux

I had no voice for 7 months, unfortunatly certain people close to me seem to forget that I am basically unable to drink alcohol to try and keep myself off the kidney transplant list because of another illness I have.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Easter eggs. It's controversial. It's a touchy subject. The churchies are up in arms. The churchies are worried about people forgetting the true meaning of easter and the christian symbolism of choccy eggs. It's outrageous. The churchies say so.

They should be outraged about the cost of these things imo. I don't think Jesus would have been happy about what you get for your money when you buy an easter egg. I think he'd have done a sermon about it. You get plenty of box but not much egg. Even at Aldi.

Also, what happened to painting hard boiled eggs with funny faces and making costumes for them? It was a great part of easter when I was a kid. Boil an egg and make it into a funny little pirate friend then roll it down a big hill. Great days.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:25 am

The Beans wrote:Easter eggs. It's controversial. It's a touchy subject. The churchies are up in arms. The churchies are worried about people forgetting the true meaning of easter and the christian symbolism of choccy eggs. It's outrageous. The churchies say so.

They should be outraged about the cost of these things imo. I don't think Jesus would have been happy about what you get for your money when you buy an easter egg. I think he'd have done a sermon about it. You get plenty of box but not much egg. Even at Aldi.

Also, what happened to painting hard boiled eggs with funny faces and making costumes for them? It was a great part of easter when I was a kid. Boil an egg and make it into a funny little pirate friend then roll it down a big hill. Great days.

My son is going to be painting eggs at school today after we made some hardboiled eggs for him last night.

One of my gripes about Easter is being sorted though with stuff going back into the eggs at last.