Request for Help - Change.org

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Request for Help - Change.org

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi folks,

Definitely as off-topic as off-topic can go here, but my girlfriend and I are currently in a legal battle to help keep her in the country. Details of the case can be found at the below link. Every signature and share makes a huge difference and any support would be much appreciated.

https://tinyurl.com/my7m88b

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Rayne on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Re: Request for Help - Change.org

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Signed.

One of my daughter's early boyfriends was in the same boat a few years back, arriving as a child then staying here as an adult once his parents returned home. He was deported as he hadn't made the correct applications to stay, despite living here for years. His sister is still here, I'm told she'd sorted things out for herself.

Can't say I miss him, he was a bit of a waster, but its the principle of the thing that's wrong here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Signed.

One of my daughter's early boyfriends was in the same boat a few years back, arriving as a child then staying here as an adult once his parents returned home. He was deported as he hadn't made the correct applications to stay, despite living here for years. His sister is still here, I'm told she'd sorted things out for herself.

Can't say I miss him, he was a bit of a waster, but its the principle of the thing that's wrong here.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

As far as I know she's made all the correct applications, the problem is that the Conservative Government have removed the right to remain policy that previously allowed people that had been here over 10 years to stay.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:20 pm

it's a no from me I'm afraid, as a self confessed hater of humans I'm shocked you want this human to stay so much? very strange. it wasn't so long ago that you told us all you would rather save a puppy than a baby, so look on the bright side, if she gets turfed out you may get to keep the dog!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:it's a no from me I'm afraid, as a self confessed hater of humans I'm shocked you want this human to stay so much? very strange. it wasn't so long ago that you told us all you would rather save a puppy than a baby, so look on the bright side, if she gets turfed out you may get to keep the dog!
Pretty sure you'd want to do the same if it was your missus facing deportation.

I remember the thread/discussion that you are referring to where Rayne made those comments but that was a long time ago and perhaps he doesn't hold the same views anymore. In any case, only a cold f****** up idiot would stick to that sort of logic over their other half.

It's not like we're talking about somebody who has jumped on the back of a lorry and snuck in illegally.

I will sign it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

I've signed it too.

My wife ended up in a similar situation for a while because they changed the rules for her visa, asking her for supporting documentation that she would never have been able to come up with when she tried to renew it, rendering her temporarily illegal. Thankfully, she'd been married to me for long enough that it was possible for her to apply for citizenship on that basis and she was never threatened with deportation. Unfortunately it seems that you've not got that option though, but I hope you can eventually get a similar result even if you're going to have to go about it the hard way.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:it's a no from me I'm afraid, as a self confessed hater of humans I'm shocked you want this human to stay so much? very strange. it wasn't so long ago that you told us all you would rather save a puppy than a baby, so look on the bright side, if she gets turfed out you may get to keep the dog!
Pretty sure you'd want to do the same if it was your missus facing deportation.

I remember the thread/discussion that you are referring to where Rayne made those comments but that was a long time ago and perhaps he doesn't hold the same views anymore. In any case, only a cold f****** up idiot would stick to that sort of logic over their other half.

It's not like we're talking about somebody who has jumped on the back of a lorry and snuck in illegally.

I will sign it.
Thanks a lot! I've certainly had some strong views on immigration before and, for what it's worth, some of those still stand. Controlled immigration v open borders is a strong issue, as is economic migration. In this instance though, she really is an exception. She moved to the UK when young, had no input on immigration processes and didn't realize there was even a problem until she had already been here for 10 years. She's now applying to stay but, through no fault of her own, the legal processes have changed and various papers don't exist. Tough situation, and your support is greatly appreciated :)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Signed.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 pm

This is going off at a bit of a tangent, but support for open borders is a very radical position that next to nobody who gives it any serious thought supports, and those who do support it tend to be libertarians rather than those in the political mainsteam, either left or right, who don't really have to worry about it ever coming to fruition. I suppose you'll get a few trendy lefties who appear to be in favour of it, but in practice left-wing governments tend to restrict it in a very similar fashion to the way right-wing ones do and they've both tended to tighten those restrictions over time as well. At the end of the day, there are just too many people who'd leave countries in the developing world for purely economic reasons for countries in the developed world to reasonably cope with, so only those who are wealthy or with highly in-demand skills (and the two usually tend to go hand in hand) will likely get the opportunity.

Similarly, there's a depressing tendency of people on the left to categorize much right-wing support for controlled immigration as racism when it's basically predicated on the same assumptions. Obviously there are some people who'd advocate racist immigration policies, especially in the wake of moral panics, but they're still a comparative rarity. It's just that all this mud-slinging and straw-manning tends to distract from the issues where there's genuine disagreement, such as the legal rights of undocumented immigrants facing deportation. Still, whatever happens in the UK, you've still got a long way for it to go before it's anything like as much of a balls-up as it is in Australia.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have, mind you I expected nothing less. Absolutely deplorable behaviour.

I am anti-immigration, but I signed it as this is something very different.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm

The Laird wrote:
What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have, mind you I expected nothing less. Absolutely deplorable behaviour.

I've signed this - good luck, I really hope this helps.

Laird, HalcyonDaze00 is entitled to his views and I find it highly unlikely Rayne would expect a 100% yes. Throwing in something like 'What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have, mind you I expected nothing less' is only goading a response. There are so many other ways you could have made comment rather than stoke a potential smouldering fire.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 am

The Laird wrote:
Whether he is either a genuine sociopath or "merely" a troll, you're only giving him the attention he so deeply craves!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:40 am

And now you (and me with this post) are highlighting it, furthering the problem...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:And now you (and me with this post) are highlighting it, furthering the problem...
Indeed. Maybe we should start a tribute thread to him though. He sounds a bit troubled and we may be all he has!

Lets destroy him with hippy love and friendship, his mortal enemy surely!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

markopoloman wrote:
The Laird wrote:

I've signed this - good luck, I really hope this helps.

Laird, HalcyonDaze00 is entitled to his views and I find it highly unlikely Rayne would expect a 100% yes. Throwing in something like 'What an absolutely disgusting attitude you have, mind you I expected nothing less' is only goading a response. There are so many other ways you could have made comment rather than stoke a potential smouldering fire.
There's been a broad range of comments across the board, through social media, the press, etc. The majority are extremely positive and encouraging, there are always going to be a few that are either ill-informed or spiteful, it's to be expected!

Either way, I'm hugely appreciate for the support so far, thanks folks!

She's been released from the detention center on bail, her flight to China has now been cancelled. The first battle was won but now we face several months preparing a legal case for the courts, the toughest part definitely lays ahead.