From The Forum issue 167 - Mario Kart memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 167 - Mario Kart memories

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

Hello, fellows. It's time to convene once more for a good old round of "get words in the mag" - and this time, what I want to know is…

What are your favourite Mario Kart memories?

Any game in the series, anything you like. If you were me, you'd be talking about the time that Mat literally ran upstairs to perform a victory dance after stealing first place from Charlie on the last lap of the last race of a cup in Mario Kart Wii. But you're not me, so please provide your own memories.

As always, some replies will appear in the magazine based on entirely mysterious and unexplained selection criteria.

merman

Re: From The Forum issue 167 - Mario Kart memories

Post by merman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Playing my nephew at the Wii version one Christmas was a lot of fun, perched on beanbags waving the wheels in the air.

And I love the way Nintendo have paid respect to the series by including retro courses in each new release.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 pm

SCREW YOU ICE BLOCKS!!!!!

but i was "technically" good at it
:D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 am

Tense trash talking multiplayer nights on Gamecube especially. Most multiplayer nights consisted of Monkey Ball, then the Marios- Kart and Golf or Party. Kart was the best kick start to an evening

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:30 pm

In late '93 and early '94, two friends of mine would come round to my house on Sunday evenings to play Mario Kart as a bit of fun before the working week started. We would play three two-player Grand Prix games and then add the scores up on paper to determine the winner. There was no simultaneous three player on the original MK of course. I think I still have the note book with the scores written in it somewhere. Great days!
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:16 am

I've played Mario Kart since the first one released back in 1992. One memory is attempting to play Mario Kart DS online due to Nintendo's insistence on using WEP for handshaking, not WPA. So I remember piggybacking downstairs unsecured WEP wifi to play, instead of having to constantly alter my own router's configuration! And how worth it is was to, it was brilliant to play online despite the snaking.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:58 am

Playing Mk64 in the middle of the night with my first girlfriend after working night shifts flipping burgers. Then having to sneak in and stealthily take the cartridge (among others) from her place after we broke up.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I was a mega drive kid, but my friend Nick had a snes and Mario Kart, he would usually beat me quite comprehensively but every so often I would fling a mushroom and take his character out with it. The only person that was as surprised as him was me, very satisfying

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:38 am

Ghost Valley 1. Multiplayer with my mates and that shortcut. A simple map, even by original Mario Kart standards, but yet perfect. And once we discovered that the shortcut can be taken with a mushroom, as well as the less risky feather power-up, it was game on.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 am

Groups of us staring at screenshots in magazine, then one of my friends parents had bought him it for Christmas and hidden it, He found it but did not have a Snes yet. His parents went away for the weekend and I took my Snes round and about 6 of us piled into his house and we all stayed there the entire weekend playing the game. What a great time.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 pm

It was enjoyable enough but i didn't really sit down with one until the (pretty damn good) Double Dash.

Much preferred Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 as well.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Played it on a friends SNES with a few mates. It was a good laugh but to me, someone that loved racing games - ended up wanting to rip the cart out of the system and stamp on the little fecker!
Why? Typical game was me racing around and getting into the lead by the end of the race only to be hit by a frigging shell! Boy did I hate that game. :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/