Gamecube 480p question.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MC1

Gamecube 480p question.

Post by MC1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 am

Can any Gamecube experts help me out.

I have a PAL gamecube with component cable. I have a couple of NTSC titles that I can play in 480p mode using freeloader but would like to 'force' my PAL titles into progressive mode. Is there a way to do this without a hard mod?

I've researched Swiss etc but I can't get my head around wether I can use my memory card adaptor with it.

Cheers.

resident paul

Re: Gamecube 480p question.

Post by resident paul » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

Try messaging Nokgod(Trevor), he is expert on the Gamecube matters especially video signal stuff!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:50 pm

There's very few PAL games that can support 480p anyhow, even if you are able to force the mode. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... play_modes

Honestly my recommendation is just get an NTSC Cube and games instead.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

MC1

Post by MC1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Mayhem wrote:There's very few PAL games that can support 480p anyhow, even if you are able to force the mode. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... play_modes

Honestly my recommendation is just get an NTSC Cube and games instead.
I saw that bud, I just thought that if I could download something onto my memory card without any fuss I could use my PAL games.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:34 pm

You also have the option of easily soft-modding a Wii and then using the free downloadable software "Nintendont" - this can force many PAL gamecube games into progressive 480p very effectively. Failing that (with some pal games that simply don't support 480p), you can just download the NTSC iso for that game and run it off a USB hdd and it will run natively and perfectly (sometimes better with reduced load times!).

I understand that the Gamecube component cable alone goes for around £170+ on ebay. Some will say (and they may be right to an extent) that the video quality of running a gamecube in progressive scan is slightly superior to that of the Wii...but for that price, if I owned one, I'd sell it on, as a Wii can do an awful lot more than a Gamecube, and straining ones eyes to detect which 480p version looks better out of the two isn't worth nearly 200 notes IMO. A Wii component cable goes for under a tenner and the console itself can be picked up for under £20, and its picture quality is more than sharp enough with that setup.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Great advice, much appreciated.

I actually have 2 Wii's I could use but I prefer to use games on original consoles.

I'm continually striving to get best av output for my consoles (clearly I'm a nutter) :D

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I always wondered what rogue leader looked like in progressive, I thought you just hold down the 'b' button on boot and it worked with every game. Learn something new every day - glad I didn't fork out for the relevant cable.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Holding down B while booting effectively allowed you to run the game in 60Hz mode instead, not progressive.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:17 am

MC1 wrote:Great advice, much appreciated.

I actually have 2 Wii's I could use but I prefer to use games on original consoles.
Fair enough, although using the Wii is about as close as possible to the Gamecube as you can get, given that it runs Gamecube games natively and has the gamecube memory/control pad ports! One thing that Nintendo does get right these days is 100% backwards compatibility (ahem, Switch not included).