My PS3 is dying

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

My PS3 is dying

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 am

My original model PS3 is dying and I'm thinking about getting a new one before it gives up the ghost completely.

Any thoughts on which model to go for? I would prefer a brand new one so the 12gb super slim seems the best value - I don't really download games so it might be the best solution but then again for around £80 more I can get the 500gb version.

Or should I try and get the previous slim model?

Any thoughts chaps and any differences I should be aware of (I know I will loose PS2 function)

Ta!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

BennyTheGreek

Re: My PS3 is dying

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:31 pm

Get a 12 gb one, then all you need is a cheap hard drive caddy and a massive hard drive of your choice...problem solved

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:37 pm

^^ Agreed!

The 12 GB will fill quite quickly with mandatory game installs, system updates and patches.

Instead of shelling out 80 quid on the 500 GB PS3 you can instead just buy an additional HDD. Amazon have a 250 GB for just 25 quid :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-Dri ... hard+drive

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Ok cool, cheers chaps - that looks like the answer then...

The reason I think it's dying is that some games freeze, some blu days' stutter and pause through certain chapters and some dvd's won't play at all.

Before I splash out on a new one is there anything I can do to help this, IE a lense cleaner or open it up and give it a spring clean?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Personally mate I would go with the Super Slim 500GB version.

I installed a new 500GB HD into my old 80GB PS3 and I had no end of problems. I did my research and got the most compatible and reliable HD I could find, but several games started freezing mid-game and I completely lost the ability to play blu-ray films (I think my machine thought I had hacked it!)

It my work perfectly for you, but for peace of mind I'd shell out for the more expensive model.

I've since chucked my phat PS3 and I've got a black slim downstairs and a nice blue super slim upstairs. The super slim is smaller and quieter but the overall build feels a little cheaper.

Cheers.

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 pm

It is such a shame that the last generation of consoles were blighted by the RROD or YLOD and all that other guff, our old Nintendo's and Sega's not to mention older Playstations are still fine. My old white 360 RROD twice I had to replace it 5 years ago and (touch wood) my 360 elite has been great. My old phat Ps3 chugged it and I replaced it with a super slim. In reality this is NOT acceptable, no wonder that generation went on forever. Love the systems hate the build quality.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:15 pm

The new gen consoles stand up pretty well on that score comparatively. There's a few horror stories but no where even close to RROD or YLOD.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sidney

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I should hope that Microsoft and Sony have learned their lessons with the 360 and PS3 and hope PS4 and Xbox One owners have it a bit easier on the reliability front!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:54 am

Went for the 12gb Super Slim cheap option, which was fine until I bought GTA 5! Had to clear everything but cannot install the update, so I have ordered a 500g hard drive.

Do I need to do anything about software? Google has lots of stuff but it's all where you remove the old hdd, obviously there isn't a drive to remove on the 12gb model. Or do I just pop the hdd in and all works?

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Just be careful with the blue screw that holds the drive in place. My one appeared to be made out of butter and i managed to render it useless by just trying to unscrew it. In the end i had to use a dremel to turn it into a flat head screw and managed to get it off.

Back up your existing drive first so you don't lose all your saves!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:07 pm

binaryRooster wrote:Just be careful with the blue screw that holds the drive in place. My one appeared to be made out of butter and i managed to render it useless by just trying to unscrew it. In the end i had to use a dremel to turn it into a flat head screw and managed to get it off.

Back up your existing drive first so you don't lose all your saves!
Cheers, will definitely the back up!!

As there isn't a hard drive in the slot already, just an SSD somewhere else, I wonder if I will need to copy the saves, PS3 system software etc to the new drive

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Might not want to leave it too long as Sony recently announced they'll be discontinuing the console in Japan very soon. Granted it might be awhile before all the new ones are gone here but the longer you put it off.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Personally I would take this as an opportunity to move into the current gen, get yourself a PS Pro! PS3 is a great console, but its successor is far superior. Best console there is in my most humble opinion. :D

Eat your nans pants

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 am

crusto wrote:Personally I would take this as an opportunity to move into the current gen, get yourself a PS Pro! PS3 is a great console, but its successor is far superior. Best console there is in my most humble opinion. :D
You know what, it did cross my mind and I may well do bo that. But I stil want to play my PS3 games and I presume there isn't any backwards compatibility.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I have a PS4 but it didn't cross my mind to not buy a replacement PS3 when my original died. Such a great catalogue of games. Unfortunately my back up drive died and i managed to lose all my saves. Not a bad excuse to start some of those games over...