Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 81

kiwimike

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by kiwimike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Treguard wrote:
In terms of crowd funded Spectrum projects though, has anyone signed up for this http://www.specnext.com/?

Have to say I am tempted.
Something to back whilst you're waiting...? :wink:

Seriously, it looks kinda cool (as many of the retro projects do) , and the blokes are genuine and passionate. I guess it's an example of how keen would anyone be after being burnt by other crowd funded thingies, with either long delays or worries that you either (A) Have been ripped off and will never see the item and/or your money again, (B) Will have to wait until your retirement to see what you paid for.

I have done quite a few of the crowdfunding and pledges now. The gamegadget almost got me- but the little voice inside told me not to, that something didn't quite add up with what they were saying. Especially with companies they claimed were on board. Very cagey, and in hindsight we know why. The original Bedrooms to Billions DVD: Finally got it, but it took literally years after the date estimated. They were clearly nice people, honest, and just overwhelmed so wasn't worried, but the timeframe (and cost, as it's now on Amazon dirt cheap) has put me off backing later ones.
The Get Lamp DVD was the first thing I ever crowdfunded. That was a good one, with little extras and not too far over the timeframe.
Other things have included the Atari Business is fun book, Oli Freys art book, and assorted music DVDs, CDs etc. With books in particular it does not seem as much of a risk as it does with a technology that needs to be engineered and licences signed.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Treguard wrote:Rothwell's latest kickstarter appears to have gone the same way though, so if it was an honest mistake, he hasn't learned from it...
If you're talking about iCP2 that also had a bunch of other Pandora people involved, and not just Craig. Indeed, the Pandora itself evolved out of the original iCP. So, give or take a few people coming and going, that's two very late projects and one vapourware from that team. Still, at least he won't be around to muck up the Pyra; they'll have to find a new bogeyman if that goes pear shaped, although I'm much more confident in EvilDragon's ability to properly manage that project from the outset.
I had to wait two years for my Pandora, but I'd say it was worth it. Again you're talking a bunch of hobbyists vs. a properly set up and funded company, which is what the Vega was supposed to be made by.

In terms of crowd funded Spectrum projects though, has anyone signed up for this http://www.specnext.com/?

Have to say I am tempted.
I'm not sure what you think the scale of Retro Computers Ltd is, but so far as I'm aware they have a staff of four, none of which work full time for the company and only one of which is doing all the serious technical work; that's tiny compared to the team that worked on the Pandora. Still, that was all they had back when the original Vega was being developed too, but they manged to come up with the goods to spec and on schedule. Of course, they had Chris Smith back then and they don't now, which is main main cause for concern along with the conflicting accounts of how and why he left.

As for the Spectrum Next, it's certainly an interesting looking project, particularly for those who want a complete computer rather than a plug-and-play games machine, but they're obviously taking it quite cautiously as they want to have a fully working prototype before going to crowdfunding and it's probably not going to be cheap. Early indications suggest a machine targeted at the enthusiast market and price at around £150.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Rothwell, has a history

If you are interested

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... r/comments

http://kickscammed.com/project/icontrol ... uct-3-llc/

My favorite used to be the video where he gives tips on how to run a successful kickstarer (yes really).

With regards to the Vega+

Its turned into a real censored show, RCL is saying nothing. People trying to take legal action. Fighting on WOS. I even joined a facebook group or two to try and get some more info on the situation. In one group Darren joined then got attacked then they turned on this forum accusing the mods of all being RCL shills. It got very ugly.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 am

rocky1980 wrote:Rothwell, has a history

If you are interested

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... r/comments

http://kickscammed.com/project/icontrol ... uct-3-llc/

My favorite used to be the video where he gives tips on how to run a successful kickstarer (yes really).

With regards to the Vega+

Its turned into a real censored show, RCL is saying nothing. People trying to take legal action. Fighting on WOS. I even joined a facebook group or two to try and get some more info on the situation. In one group Darren joined then got attacked then they turned on this forum accusing the mods of all being RCL shills. It got very ugly.

Wow. They sound as bloody arrogant as the gamegadget clowns, blaming others for their inept progress refusing to answer questions and be accountable.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 am

I don't dispute that Rothwell has a history. My point is rather that the Pandora is very much part of that history.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Latest Vega+ news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39191064

RCL are threatening legal action against websites who report on the delays as they consider it "fraudulent", it would appear.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:07 pm

threaten is one thing, doing is another. Guess this explains why the Gizmodo article was taken down
Rocky

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 am

Something really dodgy here. People have a right to know delays if they've backed it. To suggest threats have been made- but then cannot back that up with evidence- and to claim questions from backers have not been answered due to some sort of legal complication/action with ex-company directors sounds like complete crap. At the very least you can acknowledge your backers emails and contacts when they enquire quite rightly what is going on.

Shambles and disgraceful.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:11 pm

I judge these kickstarter and pledge things on a case by case basis. Been involved in quite a few now, with a good percentage going into delays etc. This has a little more to it than most to me, with legal action court cases etc. I am especially concerned when these people do not have the decency to respond to the people that originally supported their project with at the very least a reply. That is something I get really hot under the collar about. It is the least they can do. Just give them the reassurance of a reply at least, for Gods sake. Plain rude not to. This is a mess, and I can see a point backers may end up unsecured creditors.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:46 am

I have been doing a lot of reading about this on various Facebook groups. All I can say is WOW. As for late crowdfunding projects, the very first KS I backed way back in 2012 has still not delivered
Rocky

Image Image

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:28 am

I've only backed three things on Kickstarter. The first was Bedrooms to Billions: the Amiga Years which was a fairly safe bet because the first Bedrooms to Billions was a success and the project came to fruition a few months ago. The second was the new Toejam and Earl game and I'm still waiting on that one even though it was backed around the same time as Bedrooms to Billions: Amiga. And the third was Commodore VIC-20: a Visual History which, much to my delight, only arrived a few days ago:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/95 ... dback-book

Two out of three isn't bad and, in the case of Toejam and Earl, they're still working on the project and giving us occasional updates without any of the legal uncertainty this Vega+ project has been plagued with. I believe there will be a new Toejam and Earl game eventually but over the years I've come to realise that there is usually a direct correlation between how promptly a product is made or shipped and the overall quality of the item so I'm not expecting too much.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm

I am up to 109 backed now :shock: . since May 2012 :) Most KS's do run late, in some cases years or they will only part complete (like the Wings one). The golden rule, only put in what you would be happy in never seeing again :!:
Rocky

Image Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Well theyve just posted pictures of some of the units they had delivered today. Tomorrow will be high quality pictures/video booting up/playing a game etc. Should be great.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Looking forward to the video tomorrow

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:20 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well theyve just posted pictures of some of the units they had delivered today. Tomorrow will be high quality pictures/video booting up/playing a game etc. Should be great

Anyway onwards and upwards. Looking forward to the video tomorrow
Absolutely unbelievable how out of control the vitriol has got over this project, it is not even as if there have been no updates, I have well over thirty in an email folder, that's not exactly being quiet about it, just a few mouthy idiots have created a massive tidal wave of hate, with a whole host of the Internet's worst jumping on the band wagon.

These projects never go to plan, and very rarely are released on time, and it is annoying, but the main contention for me is just how unreasonable some of the posts have been, RCL announce the units would start shipping AFTER 20th February, but what happens on that exact date, an explosion of posts on the indigogo page demanding to know where their units are, some incidentally posted before dawn!

I've had a few people talking such utter nonsense about this console for so long now, seriously some of the nastiness that has attached itself to this machine I did not think was possible in the retro world, and some of it is coming from people who have not even backed it, one particular guy I know has said 'according to his sources' (I hate that phrase) the company was going into liquidation last week, and we have all lost our money, oddly he is changing his tune a bit today!

Calling RCL out as thieves, scammers, and all the other less printable things has been incredible to watch, especially those idiots out there who seem to have completely forgotten they have already delivered the Vega...it was rubbish, but it was delivered, also a good few units were played at an event, which showed a problem with the buttons, but according to some they insist nothing has ever been made, and it is all one big con, there have been problems, but nothing that warrants somebody actually getting hold of the phone number of a relative who works for RCL and put it up for the world to see, that is just disgusting.

All along I have just been waiting patiently, and it looks by this mornings update that it may well be rewarded, if I were RCL now, I would want to put all the backers machines who have hurled vile abuse at them into a big pile, and run them over with a digger! would make a great youtube video.

Yes, they have made mistakes, yes they could have told us there were legal problems, didn't have to say what they were, but for me the most incredible turn of events are two ex directors trying their hardest to sabotage a company and product that they own 25 % of, that is just bizarre!

If we do get the machine with no further problems, I will congratulate RCL for overcoming the problems, legal challenges, but most of all the hate!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Andrew Hewson had a heart attack.
That's why the book was delayed.

The whole Vega+ campaign has been one long case of excuses and lack of information from the company.
Don't forget this thing launched in SEPTEMBER 2016 and backers still don't have the finished machine in their hand, despite many assurances and missed deadlines.

They have given the impression they are untrustworthy.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube