Bad postal experiences with retro games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Bad postal experiences with retro games?

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 am

Hi guys, curious to know if you've ever had bad experiences sending or receiving retro games through the post. Games that look like the postie used them as a football, high value games mysteriously vanishing, deliveries being left in stupid locations - these are the sorts of things we're interested in.

Some replies may appear in the magazine.

Mayhem

Re: Bad postal experiences with retro games?

Post by Mayhem » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am

I've thankfully never had an issue. This is probably the worst example I've ever heard, and it's pretty recent too: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... n_the_mail
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 am

Nothing ridiculously high value, but:

Winning an auction for a couple of Game Gear games, then the seller closed his account the next day with me having just sent payment. That meant I was unable to file a complaint.

Having to send the same payment twice for three NES games and never getting a refund on the first one.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Back when i collected NGPC games i managed to locate a rare copy of Dive Alert Becky in Germany. We reached an agreement on price, i paid for it and it was sent to me via international tracked postage. After 2 weeks without any sign of it and getting a little worried i got in touch with the seller. He tracked it and found that it had been sent to the wrong country by mistake. After another week or so i received this......

Along with the parcel i received an official apology from the postal service in AUSTRALIA for it getting wet!!!!! :shock: :lol:

Astonishingly, those little clamshells are pretty hardy and the game itself was completely unscathed. What a journey though!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Had a nightmare sending an item recently.

I sold a couple of games to a buyer in December via ebay to Italy with Tracking just before Xmas. Just before New Year's the buyer opens a case against me saying the items had not arrived, blaming me for the delay when I sent them off just 2 days after I sold them (Again WITH tracking) but he kept blaming me even though the tracking said it was still on it's way, not lost.

So come early January the tracking said the games had arrive and the buyer left bad feedback, despite the many times I told him it was not because of anything I done and that Xmas is a busy postal item, but not end the case (To which it was about £95 Paypal was holding from me) so I asked ebay to end it. However, it always referred me the the Italian ebay resolution site so the language barrier added insult. Long story short, it took them till the start of February just to free the £95 they were keeping from me, a whole month just to see that yes, the tracking showed it arrived and the buyer left feedback. Caused a fair few money troubles during that month.

Then just a few days ago, I sold an item but they're holding the funds from me till either the buyer leaves feedback or after 7-14 days, because of limits they put on my account for THEIR stupidity. After I get this money, I am DONE with ebay selling after 14 years of selling.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I've only had issues with cardboard boxes, i.e. Game Gear, Game Boy etc. so I always email the seller first and copy and paste this from a Google Doc...

Please can you confirm if you will ship the game in a sturdy box? I have received one too many Game Gear or GameBoy games that have sadly been crushed in the post due to using poor packaging like bubble envelope - these are only fairly flimsy cardboard boxes and they are easily crushed and damaged.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:09 pm

nokgod wrote:Back when i collected NGPC games i managed to locate a rare copy of Dive Alert Becky in Germany. We reached an agreement on price, i paid for it and it was sent to me via international tracked postage. After 2 weeks without any sign of it and getting a little worried i got in touch with the seller. He tracked it and found that it had been sent to the wrong country by mistake. After another week or so i received this
It wasn't retro game related, but I did sent a few recent games to the US a few months back... and the package went first to Greece, sunned itself for a week, before moving onto Bulgaria, Hungary and a number of ex Eastern European countries, getting to Germany, sitting for a few days, before finally making it back to the UK, and THEN finally onto the US as it should have in the first place!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I will not send anything to Italy. Tracked or otherwise.

It has a horrendous reputation for a corrupt inept postal service and so many problems.

I also agree with the above, people who sens cardboard box games in nothing but a jiffy bag.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 pm

I had the limited edition cardboard case zelda skyward sword sent to me in a huge bubble envelope, it looked like that box Ace Ventura delivers at the beginning of the film!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:44 am

I got an atari woody off ebay a few years ago.The seller put it in a black bag no bubble wrap or nothing just a bin bag tapped around it.The postman who delivered it decided as no one was home to drop it over the locked 6ft back gate into a 2" puddle of water.No card or note to say it had been delivered I only found it when I went to put the bins out so could have been there days.After drying it with a hairdryer and cleaning it up it worked 100%.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 am

aztecca wrote:I got an atari woody off ebay a few years ago.The seller put it in a black bag no bubble wrap or nothing just a bin bag tapped around it.The postman who delivered it decided as no one was home to drop it over the locked 6ft back gate into a 2" puddle of water.No card or note to say it had been delivered I only found it when I went to put the bins out so could have been there days.After drying it with a hairdryer and cleaning it up it worked 100%.

Someone posted me a SNES wrapped in just a bin bag as well, so the corner was cracked by the time it arrived. I think he was annoyed that he listed it in the wrong category so I got it for something like a tenner, so wasn't too upset.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 pm

No bad experiences with games but with the postal service in general. Ever since online buying exploded, I have had lost approximately 32.89% more parcels than what I used to. And I am not happy about this.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:24 am

I triple tubed a Metal Gear Solid 3 poster which was A2 in size which got sent to turkey.

The guy received it and it looked like someone had been sword fighting with it. The poster was destroyed.
Safe to say I gave the guy his money back as I was given four of these posters for free back in the days of me working in a games store. So I did not really lose anything but the dude was gutted as he got the last one.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:22 pm

I've had the direct opposite experience. I once bought a Super Famicom game from a Japanese seller (the wonderful Tetris Battle Gaiden) and the seller had carefully folded the empty game box flat and mailed it between 2 pieces of cardboard along with the insert (S Famicom games have a plastic tray insert) , game manual and cartridge packaged as if it was a valuable antique. Was the most impressive piece of packing I have ever encountered.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I will not send anything to Italy. Tracked or otherwise.

It has a horrendous reputation for a corrupt inept postal service and so many problems.

I also agree with the above, people who sens cardboard box games in nothing but a jiffy bag.
You're not wrong about the Italian postal service, you'd be as well dropping it into the sea with an address label on it and hoping it gets there. Any Spanish territory that's not on the mainland is about the same too.