The great big RG weight loss thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

che_don_john

Re: The great big RG weight loss thread

Post by che_don_john » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:45 pm

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but a useful tool for this kind of thing is an app called MyFitnessPal. I used it to put on weight after I lost over a stone in short period of time due to stress/depression, but it can be used for any goal.

Basically it allows you to track all the food you eat and it monitors your intakes; calories, fat, proteins, carbs, etc. You put in your age, height, current weight and then set your goal weight, and then set a realistic target which works best for you (e.g. lose 0.5lb per week, gain 1lb per month, etc). It also warns you when you're reach daily limits. Another handy feature is that if a food you eat isn't on the database (say specifically, Morrison's Chicken and Bacon Sandwich) then you can scan the barcode and it will try to find the product and all its nutritional info.

I came across it after consulting a personal trainer mate of mine about putting my weight back on. He said that 75% of weight loss/gain is diet - you can do all the right exercises but if you're not eating the right way then you'll never really get anywhere. He told me about the Schofield index which PTs use for this kind of thing, and then I found the MyFitnessPal app which basically works off that.

Definitely recommend it, plus it's free to download.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I completely fell off the band wagon, with christmas and just being generally run down gone back on the bad stuff, trying to get back on though and when car insurance is sorted I'll send my old MTB for an overhaul.
Watching you sleep since 1990

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 pm

15 stone 5 lbs.. getting there.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Today booze bans back on, the weather put a stop to getting the bike out to put back to service, once its back together and in good nigk though the weather will not be an excuse to not ride.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I finally cycled up that hill in 7th gear on the way home without down shifting

This could of been my overall good mood and listening to Slayer
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:55 pm

DPrinny wrote:I finally cycled up that hill in 7th gear on the way home without down shifting

This could of been my overall good mood and listening to Slayer
Well done, I think it is when you aren't really thinking about doing it it becomes that bit easier.

Freezers now stocked up with slimming world meals, I just need to ration a bit more and I've put the fine system back in place although today walking through town none of the usual junk food appealed.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Had to get a new card for work

They had to take a new photo as I looked VERY diffrent
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday