Retro Pi or Wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ZXSabreman

Retro Pi or Wii

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 am

Basically which one for emulation, I have a Modded original Xbox with Coin Ops 7 etc but hate the controller. So what is my best option a Raspberry pi 3 unit or a Wii with homebrew channel. Or something else but not a pc, any advice would be greatly appreciated
"Time fades even legend..."

Jimmy Corkhill

Re: Retro Pi or Wii

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 am

Not sure buddy, but with the Wii, I've tried so many times, and I just cannot get it to load MAME roms, not sure if it's just me?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:16 pm

I love the Wii, but for MAME its pretty poor. Has a few decent emulators for 8 and 16 bit emulation, but at 11 years old, there are plenty of other options now available, including the Retro Pi and a whole slew of Android based consoles - with far more support and processing power, more accurate 8/16 bit emulators and access to more emulators from the console generations that followed (the Wii does have a PS1 and N64 emulator, but they are just not worth using).

Although it does have the advantage of playing Gamecube (and of course Wii) games natively. So that counts in its favour.

Or another option - I think you can also get hold of adaptors to use alternative controllers for your existing Xbox.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 pm

If you're happy with the XBox, a half decent fight stick will make a world of difference to how you play. There's plenty of options for those, or you could always build your own, it's a pretty simple project.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

This may be a daft question, I do have a ps2 controller adapter for my Xbox. So could I use this to use a ps2 arcade stick on my original Xbox for mame etc ?
I don't have a ps2 controller to try it and don't want to waste money if it won't work

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 pm

I imagine the Retro Pi would give you more controller options. Once you've got the USB hub connected, you can take your pick from the zillions of USB controllers out there as well as the numerous adaptors (including ones for 9-pin and PS2).

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:34 pm

I have both the Xbox original with coin-op 6 / mame as well as the other platform that got released on the original Xbox and I also have the Rasiberry PI with full on Retro pie intergration with attract mode under a hyper spin style interface with litteally turns this thing in the penultimate retro gaming platform from all 8-bit computers / consoles to PS1 thought to Dreamcast and Nintendo DS with little or no hassles , but recommended a large microSD card if your planing on using attract mode front end. I have a 128gb mircoSD with over 14,000 roms all fully fleshed out with original logo artwork and video reviews.

The retro pie front comes in with 27 emulator pre-ready to go, but does not supply rom so don't expect any. As regards to controller setups this will allow any form of USB wired controller as well as blue tooth ones e.g. The play station 3 controller, I use a wired Xbox 360 control, and I'd I mention this has wifi but it also, allowing you to remotely inject roms without having to connect to FTP software (Rasiberry PI 3b) via wifi. The only emulation I'd seen that give a little hassle was the N64, but with every release of Retro Pie they fix things from the previous version, but is highly playable, the like of super Mario 64 , Mario Kart etc. it really Is a one stop shop for your retro gaming needs, plus with Bluetooth build in, you can of course use a mouse and keyboard for the other stuff, as well as proper computer emulation like the c64,Zx,BBC,Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, Amiga and Atari ST, MSX these all run flawlessly on the Rasiberry PI. So if your not happy with the Original Xbox, which I personally still think is ace, then I'd urge you get into this. It's incredible, what can be done now.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:36 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:This may be a daft question, I do have a ps2 controller adapter for my Xbox. So could I use this to use a ps2 arcade stick on my original Xbox for mame etc ?
I don't have a ps2 controller to try it and don't want to waste money if it won't work

Been using a PS2 adapter with my Soul Calibre 2 stick, Chun Li Fight pad and a official PS2 pad and it works perfectly with all 3 using coin ops and Premium
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 pm

PS1 sticks will probably work too, most of these are cross compatible with PS1 & PS2.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I think a ps2 controller and a retro pi setup sounds appealing

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:59 pm

RetroPie is great. I use my DualShock 4 when I'm on it.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:29 pm

So, where do you buy a retro pi?

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:44 am

Buy a Rasperry Pi 3, then just download Retro Pi onto it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:34 am

Well, sort of. Some assembly and configuration will be required, and you'll need a PC to download the image to before copying it to the SD card.

There are step-by-step guides and it's totally worth it though.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:59 am

The Wii is the best for NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, Mega CD, Gamecube and of course Wii.

For the retro systems the emulators have lots of filters for a HDTV or you can play old-school 240p on a CRT! I'd recommend using the official SNES and NES pads that were available on the Wii.

You can also view Gamecube and Wii games in glorious component quality - and play import games!

For everything else, (Amiga, N64, PS1 etc.) PC or Pi is the way to go...