Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 am

Blimey! I feel like I'm in a time machine - 23 days after starting the 163 thread and 164 lands on my doormat (on my day off) :D

There wasn't a massive amount in 163 that was 'up my street' and was read & filed rather quickly - BUT this issue is far more to my liking...

Includes:
Ultimate guide to Gauntlet II
The Legacy of Resident Evil
Oliver Twins
Making of E.T
Making of Hunchback
History of Discworld
2017 Retro Revolution
Top Ten Hits (budget software house)
SNES minority report
Game Genie
Todds Adventures in Slime World
Suda 51
and a great homebrew section...

(and there is a Match Day article too - but that's football, so obviously rubbish for me :lol: )

Will scan the cover and post in a mo (will add a scan of last months to last months thread too...)

EDIT: Cover of 164

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Mayhem

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 164

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 am

Drat, would have loved to have written the SNES Minority Report considering I've just been on a huge SNES binge writing wise, and have some great ideas for unknown games. Have to see which ones are featured when I read the issue...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 am

Looks like a great issue, I'll be making a point of reading this one sharpish. RE, Gauntlet, Discworld, Hunchback, Pole Position, Match Day, plenty of cover stuff catching my interest. Hope they mention the 8 bit conversions in the Hunchback article.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:36 am

Wow, amazing cover that

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Really enjoyed the Discworld article, there has been some great PC stuff in the mag lately.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am

Resident Evil. Awesome. Silent Hill legacy next please :)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 am

markopoloman wrote:There wasn't a massive amount in 163 that was 'up my street' and was read & filed rather quickly - BUT this issue is far more to my liking...
Ditto, this issue looks much more interesting to me. Although 163 did get me to finally play Tomb Raider Underworld...

Gamer128

Post by Gamer128 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:19 am

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I just wanted to say that the Slime World article was absolutely splendid, exactly the kind of thing I want to see more of in the mag. Systems like the Lynx deserve more love so this was a very welcome surprise, I learned a lot of new stuff from it too!

Now how about some Atari ST stuff? I can't ever remember seeing an ST making of in a single issue I've ever read! Yet Amiga games seem to feature all the time (booo!) sort it out please!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 am

Gamer128 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster!

I just wanted to say that the Slime World article was absolutely splendid, exactly the kind of thing I want to see more of in the mag. Systems like the Lynx deserve more love so this was a very welcome surprise, I learned a lot of new stuff from it too!

Now how about some Atari ST stuff? I can't ever remember seeing an ST making of in a single issue I've ever read! Yet Amiga games seem to feature all the time (booo!) sort it out please!
The biggest issue we have with the Atari ST is twofold, finding people who actually want to talk about it and finding standaone games that actually came out on the system as exclusives and were worth talking about. We've run articles in the past, but I'll admit that they are less common than the Amiga variants. It's also the reason why there is so little cover about Dragon 32, Vic 20, Apple II and so on. If the writers aren't there the articles won't happen.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:15 am

Ha ha i'm the opposite ! Less Lynx (wasnt a huge success but seems to have a fair bit of coverage in RG) and more Gameboy please. Think the Gameboy isnt covered that much, went over past issues and there are bits dont get me wrong but not tons. Surely Gameboy articles will appeal to the masses much more.

BUT to be fair its one of those 'cant please them all' issues

Loving the other articles, Match Day, Gauntlet, ET etc

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 pm

psj3809 wrote:Ha ha i'm the opposite ! Less Lynx (wasnt a huge success but seems to have a fair bit of coverage in RG) and more Gameboy please. Think the Gameboy isnt covered that much, went over past issues and there are bits dont get me wrong but not tons. Surely Gameboy articles will appeal to the masses much more.

BUT to be fair its one of those 'cant please them all' issues

Loving the other articles, Match Day, Gauntlet, ET etc
It's hard finding Game Boy coders. We'd happily cover the machine more otherwise.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:53 pm

A good issue. I'm enjoying it.
My only issue is the massive articles on a single game that happen every month now. These are fine if you like the game but if you don't (i am not interested in RE, Tomb Raider, Pokemon or Chase HQ in the last 4 issues) then its a lot of space taken up in the magazine that I won't read.

I know lots of people love Resident Evil but even so 10 pages is an awful lot. Last month's Tomb Raider article was a similar size... although if you'd removed all the massive pictures of Lara it would probably only have taken up five pages.

A good issue though, with lots that does interest me so mustn't grumble, although I just have!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

To be fair we've been running these gigantic articles for years now. It's probably a lot more noticeable to you as you have no interest in the franchises or games being covered. It's certainly not a new thing :)

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 pm

You are right of course.
I think it's just become apparent as the last four weeks have had big articles I don't want to read.
Not a problem though, lots of other good stuff in there.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:57 pm

The large articles could be trimmed a few pages by dropping alot of the side box outs, charts and artwork in favour of the main text body. Res Evil this month is 10 pages but can easily have been trimmed to 6. I guess this would look rather plain with mainly text so a pay off between text & art has to be done which results in the higher page count. I do like the recent new feature (Tomb Raider last month) in these articles of the photos of those interviewed being brought together, very handy when reading quotes to flick back and see a pic of the person.

The Top Ten Hits colour choice is awesome, bright red & yellow diagonal line/shapes - stands out great and grabs your attention.