First home game u played that was closest 2 arcade quality?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HEAVYface

Re: First home game u played that was closest 2 arcade quali

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:29 am

there were loads of quality arcade like games on 8 bit, I remember being blown away by enduro on the 2600 when I was a wee nipper and thought excite bike or mario on the nes looked identical to the arcade versions when I played them in Boots(the arcade graphics for these games were a bit creaky mind). TBH anything that ran at a decent framerate and didn't have a load of sprite flicker felt arcadey. that's why I hated my Amstrad! (green screen too....)

16 bit era was when there was a decent cross over with actual conversions of games I was interested in playing stood up to muster
ghouls n ghosts, goldenaxe and strider on the megadrive
final fight, street fighter 2 snes
toki and pang on amiga

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Probably Commando on the spectrum for me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Same could be said for Street Fighter II on the SNES, as I didn't really notice any differences between it and the Arcade version back in those times (when I got older and wiser I could tell very fast which is which).
This was my pick. Street Fighter 2 on the SNES was an awesome port. After obsessing over Street Fighter 2 in arcades, I was so pleasantly surprised to see such an amazing port to the incredible Super Nintendo. Yeah, I can tell them apart now as you said from a tech standpoint (as we have become pickier/fussier in an age of technical obsessiveness), but in many ways I'm more fond of the SNES version and remain so : the sound, the awesome SNES pad, the varying difficulty levels, as well as it having the neat cheat code to play as the same characters in 2 player mode. I totally overlooked the fact it had borders, and the PAL version had even larger borders and was 17.5% slower...to me it was perfection.
That was so for many European PAL releases - much slower than the American and Japanese NTSC versions and often with black borders, but we ate it up as we didn't know any better.

The MD and PCE versions of SFII were good too, but the computer ones were a pile of steaming crap (PC DOS version actually looked the part on still screen shots - different matter when it started moving), although the Japanese could enjoy pretty nice ports on there high-powered computers like Sharp X68000 (same machine used to develop the game) and FM Towns.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 am

Nice question! My first computer was an Apple 2, so there wasn't anything really that resembled arcade-quality apart from perhaps Galaxians which came close. But I think it was when I played Decathlon on the C64 that I thought wow, this plays just like the arcades, or at least looks the part as commodore joystick waggling wasn't quite the same.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:50 am

SF2 on the SNES felt like it was a complete conversion of the arcade original.

Labyrinth on the C64 was the first home game that made me say 'wow' at the graphics.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 am

Probably Dynamite Dux on the Master System. AFter years of playing Spectrum games that were clearly many steps removed from arcade quality in terms of their look & feel, this was a revelation.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 am

Obviously not arcade perfect but I remember being a kid thinking Chase HQ was nearly arcade perfect on the Amstrad.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am

:shock: :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

I was going mention Chase H.Q on spectrum - all aspects as good a conversion as it could be and a firm favourite of mine to this day. Though worlds apart in many senses , you still knew what it was and it did its best to be exactly that.

Although Id only ever played R-type 2 in the arcade , the speccy original sufficed for me for a few years and played as well as it could - still impressive now.

Streets of Rage 2 - MD - Im not a massive fan of Double Dragon and the MD games didnt help. However SOR2 and its originator both impressed me with their scrolling fighty antics and quality graphics - especially that first play of SOR2.

We put up with 'arcade conversions' on 8 bits for years that were pretty sh1te - I remember getting hours out of 720 on the speccy , yet it annoys the heck out of me now in all its forms - but sometimes it just took that bit of imagination and you could eke gameplay out of even the worst turkeys if you had no other choices.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

There's Pong and Combat on the 2600. I remember playing a pretty accurate port of Space Invaders on the Apple IIe.

The Sega Saturn and PS1 did some great jobs of 32bit shmups. The Saturn had some really nice Capcom 4MB expanded games too.

But really it wasn't until Dreamcast that the arcade really came into the home.

You need stick controllers too of course for that arcade feel.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:23 pm

davyK wrote: But really it wasn't until Dreamcast that the arcade really came into the home.
Neo Geo says hi. :wink:

Although it was darn expensive (both, the system and the games), it did deliver "Arcade-perfect" conversions into homes (of rich kids).

ColecoVision, PC Engine, 32X, 3DO, PSX, Amiga and DOS PC also enjoyed a number of near Arcade ports.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 am

outdated_gamer wrote:

Although it was darn expensive (both, the system and the games), it did deliver "Arcade-perfect" conversions into homes (of rich kids).

ColecoVision, PC Engine, 32X, 3DO, PSX, Amiga and DOS PC also enjoyed a number of near Arcade ports.
True, although those Neo Geo games weren't arcade games I was familiar with, at least in the UK. When I think of arcade games of the 1990s (when I believe the Neo Geo came out), I think of The Simpsons, Turtles, Daytona, Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Street Fighter 2 etc.

When I look at the Neo Geo, I just see a limited selection of SF2 clones and Metal Slug, but it never came across as astonishing or groundbreaking, especially at THAT price. Moderately impressive 2D sure, but I was still far more impressed technically by Donkey Kong Country...even with its mere 32 "megapower" :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 am

We had a bunch of Neo Geo games in our local arcade. In the beginning it was quite exciting, but the hardware aged quickly, to the point any excitement about a new title would be tempered when the Neo Geo logo came up.

It comes a long way after Pong though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 am

It must have been Outrun on my C64 :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
davyK wrote: But really it wasn't until Dreamcast that the arcade really came into the home.

Yep. Forgot about Neo Geo. It literally was the arcade at home.